Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Do people REALLY want to work?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM
  • 75 Replies
2 moms liked this

Every day on the news, we see stories of people who are looking desperately for jobs, but I wonder if they really want to work.   A friend is a manager at a very successful company.  Over the past 6 months, he has hired 3 men and none of them have lasted more than 3 months.   The other managers specifically spell out the duties of the job, which begins at 3am and finishes around 11am Monday-Saturday.  all of these guys say they would like the job, they even spend a few hours on-the-job during the interview process make sure they really get to see what the job is.  However, once they are hired, they are often late, have excuses to leave early, complain about working, refuse to follow protocol, etc...   This job pays decent money - in the mid to upper $30,000s plus benefits, holiday pay, sick leave, etc.....     They have tried hiring experienced people as well as people they believed were trainable...but none of them want to work!   My friend has been there over 1 year and loves it.  They have other employees that have been there over 10 years, so it isn't that the company is misrepresenting itself,but the new hires are worthless.

is this just a freak coincidence or have Americans really become that lazy and jaded?

by on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jadedcynic
by Member on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM
4 moms liked this

Mid to upper 30's isn't  decent money.  Not for odd hours and 6 days a week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Agreed!

Quoting jadedcynic:

Mid to upper 30's isn't  decent money.  Not for odd hours and 6 days a week.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

some are lazy and don't want to work, and really only go through the process to maintain either unemployment or welfare benefits or to keep their women off their backs.

some can't get a job no matter how hard they pound the pavement.  I'm overqualified for retail or fast food, and have no degree to enable me to attain a position that was in line with my last one - 10 years ago when I started that position it was not common to require even an associates - now a bachelors is the lowest they'll interview.  so the only solution for me was to go back to school.  I want to work, no... I NEED to work, but until there is some significant change in my educational background I'm shut out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:35 AM
That's at least $14 per hour.
KikiKia
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I do think good workers are hard to find.

I have seen it at my place of employment and at my DH.

I think it stems down to parents/society coddling kids.  then when they mature to adults they do not remotely understand the concept of responsibility or hard work...since their parents did everything for them.  I used to work in admissions at a University.  Parents would make their kids call and would be on the phone with them telling them what to say.  I am sorry but if you are 16 or older and you do not know how to make a phone call and you need your Mom to walk you through it....not helpful.

I recall someone on MC saying they bring their parent with them to job interviews.  smh

Not to mention this new sense of entitlement so many people seem to have nowadays.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Quoting Anonymous: That's at least $14 per hour.

by my calculations of a 48 hour work week which it looks like to me its $11 an hour.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 8, 2014 at 10:29 AM
48 hours a week times 52 weeks in a year is 2496 hours. The op said mid to high 30s. At 30,000 รท 2496 that's $12 an hour.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting Anonymous: That's at least $14 per hour.

by my calculations of a 48 hour work week which it looks like to me its $11 an hour.

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 1:01 PM

What industry are you talking about?  What kind of education level is required for these jobs?  The answer to your question is going to vary greatly on those things.  Just depends.

Also, I'll have to take your word for it that $30K is decent money.  In my industry it's entry level pay and in my area with the COL it would be difficult (but not impossible) to raise a family on that.

coala
by on Apr. 8, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Can I apply?  Seriously....I think that people are becoming lazy and just don't want to work hard for the money.  I realize that you have to have a good work ethic or you going NOWHERE quickly.  I work hard, but don't get paid much....because our business is slow at the moment.  I know when things pick up, my pay will increase again.

Megan11587
by Member on Apr. 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Where do you live that 30k is decent pay?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)