Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Supermarket Shenanigans!

Posted by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM
  • 36 Replies

The strangest thing happened in the supermarket today!  I started putting my groceries on the belt while the person in front of me was paying for her stuff.  When the transaction was complete, I went up to the cashier to hand him my coupons (as per store policy).  I turned to  put the rest of my stuff on the belt (I had a full cart!) and found that the woman behind me was putting her stuff on there before I could finish.  I thought maybe she just somehow missed seeing my full cart, so I asid, "Excuse me" as I tried to find room to put the rest of my food on the bet, but she ignored me and kept trying to put her stuff on there!  Seriously, lady?  The cashier obviously cannot start ringing up her things before he finished ringing up mine, so she wasn't saving any time. It actually made thing take longer, because the cashier had to stop the conveyor belt from moving, so I could try to squeeze my things in towards the front.  She would not move her things to let me finish!  What was her problem?  eye rolling

Has anyone else ever experienced this?  What has anyone done to really annoy you at the supermarket?

by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Turtlekot
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM
3 moms liked this

One of the biggest things that annoy me at the store.  An isle is just wide enough for two carts going the opposite direction to pass each other.  So why, for the love of god, do people insist of placing the cart right in the middle while browsing one shelf or another.

Second is two-three people walking side by side and not paying attention to their surroundings.  These same people tend to walk at a snail's pace.  Not everyone shopping does it at a recreational pace.  There are some of us that live by the philosophy of get in, get out.  And it never fails that you get the evil eye when you say excuse me.

Three people that use the express/self check out lanes with their carts full.  I have even refused the express cashier's invitation to use her lane (no one was there).  It is literally such a peeve that I refuse to break the rule.

ZamilyMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I definitely agree with you re: people parking their cart in the exact mniddle of the aisle.  The last one also bothers me, but I very rarely get to use the express lane (shopping for 5), so I don't encounter that too much.  The second one happens all the time at the mall, and that does drive me nuts, too!

Turtlekot
by Member on Apr. 9, 2014 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You must have been really nice....I probably would have asked the cashier to stop the belt from moving and pushed her stuff as far back as I could.  The would have very slowly placed each item one by one on the belt.  That is if I had time....but sadly with a family of 5...we are often in a time crunch.

I agree that your encounter was odd to say the least.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 9, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I purchase grocery store gift cards from my kids school as part of the required scrip program.  Yesterday at the checkout when I swiped them they wouldnt work.  Tried several times.  Cashier finally calls the Manager over and shows him what was happening.  It was not my gift cards it was their system not recognizing them as a method of payment.  WTH?  That had never happened in the 7 years Ive been using them.  The Mgr literally  looked me up and down - "You're not trying to pull something are you?" and though he said it with a laugh in a kidding sort of way - I was not in the mood for it.  

I ended up paying with my debit card and told the Manager to do what he could to fix the problem - quickly.

JakobsMom03
by on Apr. 9, 2014 at 6:59 PM
2 moms liked this

This happened to me a couple weeks ago! I hadn't even paused in unloading my cart before the guy behind me was piling his things on. Didn't even put a divider up. I had a lot left too. So, I told him he needed to move his stuff, I wasn't finished. The look on his face, like how dare I speak to him at all. He moved his stuff though.

squeekers
by Member on Apr. 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

@ Turtlekot, I used to put the cart in the dead center to keep DD from beine able to reach anything on the aisles, after DD almost fell out sideways reaching for food.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

These aree the entitled people. Like the ones that stepup whenyou are sliding your ATM card. I stop whatever i am doing and say "step back" I do not say please.  Ihave had someone do exactly  what this freak did to you and I put her crap back in her cart. SHe carried on and the manager had to come over and he also helpe put her stuff in the cart again. I am not going to be pushed around by rude doorknobs like that.  That is what you should have done stick her stuff back in the cart.  I always check and make sure the people in front of me have gotten all there things up there and then start stacking my stuff on the belt andI also make sure I start far enough back so my things do not get mixed up with thiers.

redmummyof3
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 7:26 PM

i hate it when people use change to pay for half a cart of stuff!!!. not pocket change like i'm gonna grab a coffee do you want one type of change. more like i robbed every piggy bank on my block and the corner store gumball machine change it pisses me off!!!.  i have thing's to do and places to go and i'm pretty sure other shoppers do as well. ohh and huge stacks of coupons  as thick as a brick thats annoying too the coupon folk need there own checkout

ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I hate hate when im doing my wic transactions people come up and huff and puff....i even turn and say "im doing wic, it may take a while, im sorry." Most times i get nice older people who just sit and talk to me about the twins.

I also cant stand when im in line and people are up my ass! Give me a god damn spot and stop pushing your god damn cart into my ass....
ABCMomma0211
by on Apr. 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM
I was working at walmart and some woman tried pay a 22$ bill with just quarters...

I had ti get a manager because i couldnt deal with it.

And this was even after the people behind her offered to pay for her bill just so she could leave

Quoting redmummyof3:

i hate it when people use change to pay for half a cart of stuff!!!. not pocket change like i'm gonna grab a coffee do you want one type of change. more like i robbed every piggy bank on my block and the corner store gumball machine change it pisses me off!!!.  i have thing's to do and places to go and i'm pretty sure other shoppers do as well. ohh and huge stacks of coupons  as thick as a brick thats annoying too the coupon folk need there own checkout

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN