Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Don't give your mother an emergency credit card

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

My mom just called me happily saying she'd bought my son 6 new shirts. Sounds great right?

Wrong, she bought them with my credit card- that I let her use for emergencies because she doesn't have a job.

I have a wedding I'm paying for with my fiance in two months. My cat ate a sewing needle two weeks ago and cost us $900 to have it removed. I'm broke! I don't work anymore other than helping my fiance with his business. I homeschool my son and work from home without a paycheck of my own. 

She knows all of this! Why did she think I wanted her to do that? The price of the shirts is the normal price I pay for them, I didn't get to pick them out, she bought too many of them and he already has a closet full of clothes. 

She's always buying him toys too, from dollar stores and goodwill and such. His room is overflowing. I feel like I can never take him toy shopping myself because he always has too many toys. It's something I really enjoy doing but haven't been able to! Not to mention I've been paying for that crap. She owes me like 200 dollars. 

by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 11, 2014 at 5:02 PM
2 moms liked this
So take it back from her
woodswalker
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM
6 moms liked this

I would cancel the credit card.   That simple.   If she has an emergency, help her out, but to give a jobless mother a credit card?   You're too generous.  

myloveismyfaith
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I love my mom to Death and would do..almost anything for her. An emergency credit card is something i would never consider. Especially with her jobless and me being on a tight budget as well.
MrsApple
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Never,never,NEVER let someone have,even if supposedly just for emergencies,your credit card! One reason being this situation!

fiddlerbird555
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 5:50 PM
3 moms liked this

Alternatively give her what they give teenagers -- a card with a set limit that you've already paid & budgeted for.

Momofmenagerie
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM
So perhaps you cancel it saying it's " over the limit"?
Jenniy
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Cancel the card and when she asks why, explain that 6 new shirts when he already has a closet full is NOT an emergency.

JTE11
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this

Take the credit card back. If she has a real emergency, she can call you. I wouldn't worry about hurting her feelings, because she obviously isn't trustworthy enough to have it. Also, return the shirts.

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 6:06 PM
I love my mom, but I know better than to give her a credit card. Everything would be an emergency.
bcauseimthemom
by on Apr. 11, 2014 at 7:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Return the shirts and take the card away or cancel it.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)