Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Rude/Judgemental/Racist Neighbors

Posted by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:11 AM
  • 85 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm new to cafemom and this is my first post. My husband and I just moved from Montreal Canada to Georgia. We live in an area called Stone Mountain. I guess we should have done more research on the place before moving here. But apparently, Stone Mountain has a history of being linked to the KKK and the people ingraved into the mountain are the KKK leaders. I guess because of that a lot of racist and judgemental people live around here. We are an interracial couple. I'm black, he is white. The town is very lovely and vintage. We live on the main street in the historical district. So it's nice to go out on a nice day with the baby and look around and shop. But whenever we walk around we get weird stares or hear people saying things. My husband always ask do they have a problem or something, he speaks french with not excellent english (We are french canadians). So he tries to stick up for us and say what he can. We are also the youngest couple around here. I am 19 and my husband is 20. Everyone else who lives around here are very very old or at least in their 30's if they have children. I am pregnant with our 2nd child. Whenever I go out to the market with our daughter and my baby stomach, I always hear people saying really negative things. Those things don't really bother me because I love being a young mom and take pride in being a mother all together. Where we come from a baby is a blessing no matter the age. We have our own celebration in Canada called Blessingway which is a celebration and rejoicement of motherhood for the expecting mother. Despite your age you are blessed with one and family, strangers, everyone in the city comes and celebrates. And when the baby is born the nurses throw you another one at the hospital. But her it seems like people look at having children and being a family is something wrong or evil. I guess you have to fit a certain profile to be considered a good mother or fit parents. It's just really sad how much hate and judgement people have. Two of our neighbors came over the other day to introduce themselves. Or more like just tell us which part of the land was theirs so that we don't go on their property. One of the men asked us how old we are. When we told them our ages one asked us if our landlord knew she had kids living in her house. Apparently, they know our landlord. Our landlord is my college professor and rented out her place here to us until my husband is done with his work. I told them that she is my professor back in Montreal and she knows that we are very responsible and good people. We didn't tell them any of our personal information like how long we were staying, or even our names. We just gave them our last name so that they can call use by that. The only nice person that came over was a man in his 30's. He lives in the house directly in front of ours and came over to bring some jazz records (because my husband and I are always playing jazz music while we're outside doing yard work or relaxing}. He also told us that he's a doctor and what hospital he works at so if I go into labor or one of us is hurt to just run over there if we need anything. He was very nice and funny. The only good person we've meet here so far. To us America has been very disappointing :( A lot of the stereotypes that we've heard growing up about here are sadly true. We we're very excited to come at first but now we are very ready to go back to Montreal. When we first arrived here we went to the Martin Luther King Memorial and muesuem. I got to learn a lot about my black history and it was very beautiful and heart warming. Going there made us feel like things we're different now. But it's basically the same, just kept more in the shadows. I called my professor and talked to her about everything. She said she is deeply sorry and didn't know it was like this.

by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
briellesmomma
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:34 AM
5 moms liked this
I apologize about your experience here so far. I can assure you that not every city, in every state is backwoods like the place you're in now.

Welcome to our country and I truly hope you get to enjoy it here eventually.

Congrats on the new baby as well.
oosadeoo
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. I hope things get more cheerful too.

Quoting briellesmomma: I apologize about your experience here so far. I can assure you that not every city, in every state is backwoods like the place you're in now. Welcome to our country and I truly hope you get to enjoy it here eventually. Congrats on the new baby as well.

facethetruth2b
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Screw them people . they do not live your life pay your bills and such. Stone mountain Georgia? But anyways long story short Fuck'em !!! Stare back and smile and even give your hubby a nice long kiss in front of the starers !!;) good luck .

Quoting oosadeoo:

I'm new to cafemom and this is my first
post. My husband and I just moved from Montreal Canada to Georgia. We live in an area called Stone Mountain. I guess we should have done more research on the place before moving here. But apparently, Stone Mountain has a history of being linked to the KKK and the people ingraved into the mountain are the KKK leaders. I guess because of that a lot of racist and judgemental people live around here. We are an interracial couple. I'm black, he is white. The town is very lovely and vintage. We live on the main street in the historical district. So it's nice to go out on a nice day with the baby and look around and shop. But whenever we walk around we get weird stares or hear people saying things. My husband always ask do they have a problem or something, he speaks french with not excellent english (We are french canadians). So he tries to stick up for us and say what he can. We are also the youngest couple around here. I am 19 and my husband is 20. Everyone else who lives around here are very very old or at least in their 30's if they have children. I am pregnant with our 2nd child. Whenever I go out to the market with our daughter and my baby stomach, I always hear people saying really negative things. Those things don't really bother me because I love being a young mom and take pride in being a mother all together. Where we come from a baby is a blessing no matter the age. We have our own celebration in Canada called Blessingway which is a celebration and rejoicement of motherhood for the expecting mother. Despite your age you are blessed with one and family, strangers, everyone in the city comes and celebrates. And when the baby is born the nurses throw you another one at the hospital. But her it seems like people look at having children and being a family is something wrong or evil. I guess you have to fit a certain profile to be considered a good mother or fit parents. It's just really sad how much hate and judgement people have. Two of our neighbors came over the other day to introduce themselves. Or more like just tell us which part of the land was theirs so that we don't go on their property. One of the men asked us how old we are. When we told them our ages one asked us if our landlord knew she had kids living in her house. Apparently, they know our landlord. Our landlord is my college professor and rented out her place here to us until my husband is done with his work. I told them that she is my professor back in Montreal and she knows that we are very responsible and good people. We didn't tell them any of our personal information like how long we were staying, or even our names. We just gave them our last name so that they can call use by that. The only nice person that came over was a man in his 30's. He lives in the house directly in front of ours and came over to bring some jazz records (because my husband and I are always playing jazz music while we're outside doing yard work or relaxing}. He also told us that he's a doctor and what hospital he works at so if I go into labor or one of us is hurt to just run over there if we need anything. He was very nice and funny. The only good person we've meet here so far. To us America has been very disappointing :( A lot of the stereotypes that we've heard growing up about here are sadly true. We we're very excited to come at first but now we are very ready to go back to Montreal. When we first arrived here we went to the Martin Luther King Memorial and muesuem. I got to learn a lot about my black history and it was very beautiful and heart warming. Going there made us feel like things we're different now. But it's basically the same, just kept more in the shadows. I called my professor and talked to her about everything. She said she is deeply sorry and didn't know it was like this.

tempy22414
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
You'll probably always find people like that. Racism is certainly not dead. When i dated a white guy i got looks at times when we were out but just ignored them. My bil is white and we love him! Hes great with my 2month old son and loves him dearly. Most places people don't make it obvious. In most places people are used to interracial couples
oosadeoo
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Yes our town is called Stone Mountain, Georgia. And that is a good idea :) Next time we will do that so then they can really have something to be mad about.

Quoting facethetruth2b: Screw them people . they do not live your life pay your bills and such. Stone mountain Georgia? But anyways long story short Fuck'em !!! Stare back and smile and even give your hubby a nice long kiss in front of the starers !!;) good luck .

Quoting oosadeoo:

post. My husband and I just moved from Montreal Canada to Georgia. We live in an area called Stone Mountain. I guess we should have done more research on the place before moving here. But apparently, Stone Mountain has a history of being linked to the KKK and the people ingraved into the mountain are the KKK leaders. I guess because of that a lot of racist and judgemental people live around here. We are an interracial couple. I'm black, he is white. The town is very lovely and vintage. We live on the main street in the historical district. So it's nice to go out on a nice day with the baby and look around and shop. But whenever we walk around we get weird stares or hear people saying things. My husband always ask do they have a problem or something, he speaks french with not excellent english (We are french canadians). So he tries to stick up for us and say what he can. We are also the youngest couple around here. I am 19 and my husband is 20. Everyone else who lives around here are very very old or at least in their 30's if they have children. I am pregnant with our 2nd child. Whenever I go out to the market with our daughter and my baby stomach, I always hear people saying really negative things. Those things don't really bother me because I love being a young mom and take pride in being a mother all together. Where we come from a baby is a blessing no matter the age. We have our own celebration in Canada called Blessingway which is a celebration and rejoicement of motherhood for the expecting mother. Despite your age you are blessed with one and family, strangers, everyone in the city comes and celebrates. And when the baby is born the nurses throw you another one at the hospital. But her it seems like people look at having children and being a family is something wrong or evil. I guess you have to fit a certain profile to be considered a good mother or fit parents. It's just really sad how much hate and judgement people have. Two of our neighbors came over the other day to introduce themselves. Or more like just tell us which part of the land was theirs so that we don't go on their property. One of the men asked us how old we are. When we told them our ages one asked us if our landlord knew she had kids living in her house. Apparently, they know our landlord. Our landlord is my college professor and rented out her place here to us until my husband is done with his work. I told them that she is my professor back in Montreal and she knows that we are very responsible and good people. We didn't tell them any of our personal information like how long we were staying, or even our names. We just gave them our last name so that they can call use by that. The only nice person that came over was a man in his 30's. He lives in the house directly in front of ours and came over to bring some jazz records (because my husband and I are always playing jazz music while we're outside doing yard work or relaxing}. He also told us that he's a doctor and what hospital he works at so if I go into labor or one of us is hurt to just run over there if we need anything. He was very nice and funny. The only good person we've meet here so far. To us America has been very disappointing :( A lot of the stereotypes that we've heard growing up about here are sadly true. We we're very excited to come at first but now we are very ready to go back to Montreal. When we first arrived here we went to the Martin Luther King Memorial and muesuem. I got to learn a lot about my black history and it was very beautiful and heart warming. Going there made us feel like things we're different now. But it's basically the same, just kept more in the shadows. I called my professor and talked to her about everything. She said she is deeply sorry and didn't know it was like this.

Canadiana
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Welcome to CM!  And please don't take this the wrong way, but paragraphs are your friend, soooo hard to read!

facethetruth2b
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
KUDOS ! DO it seriously just to piss them off and give them something truly to talk about. The world is a cruel place some worst then others. But just remember why you feel in love and not worry about what others think or say about the color of you both and children.

Quoting oosadeoo: Yes our town is called Stone Mountain, Georgia. And that is a good idea :) Next time we will do that so then they can really have something to be mad about.

Quoting facethetruth2b: Screw them people . they do not live your life pay your bills and such. Stone mountain Georgia? But anyways long story short Fuck'em !!! Stare back and smile and even give your hubby a nice long kiss in front of the starers !!;) good luck .

Quoting oosadeoo:

oosadeoo
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM
This is the first place we have been that we seen people act this way towards us. I hope that there aren't that many places like this in the world.

Quoting tempy22414: You'll probably always find people like that. Racism is certainly not dead. When i dated a white guy i got looks at times when we were out but just ignored them. My bil is white and we love him! Hes great with my 2month old son and loves him dearly. Most places people don't make it obvious. In most places people are used to interracial couples
oosadeoo
by Member on Apr. 16, 2014 at 8:54 AM
I'm sorry but I didn't really understand what you wrote. I think your saying I wrote too much? If that's what you meant then I'm sorry I tried to make it as short as possible. And I even left a lot out of the post so that it could be shorter.

Quoting Canadiana:

Welcome to CM!  And please don't take this the wrong way, but paragraphs are your friend, soooo hard to read!

Canadiana
by on Apr. 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM

No, sorry!  That's not what I meant, you can write as much as you want.  It's just really hard to follow when you don't break it into paragraphs :)

Quoting oosadeoo: I'm sorry but I didn't really understand what you wrote. I think your saying I wrote too much? If that's what you meant then I'm sorry I tried to make it as short as possible. And I even left a lot out of the post so that it could be shorter.
Quoting Canadiana:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)