Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Holiday Haters and Fun Eliminators are starting to Piss Me OFF with all the judgemental whining!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:01 PM
  • 108 Replies
37 moms liked this

Long Rant.  I don't feel like calling anyone out on FB, so I'm just venting here.

It's Easter... oops, it's Resurrection Sunday.  As a Christian I believe in Christ and we are raising our children with knowledge of what this time of the year celebrates.  I know the heritage of why these dates were selected by the church and I know all about Ishtar, Eggs, and Bunnies and what they all symbolized however many hundreds of years ago.

So my Facebook feed is full of these Holiday Haters who want to look down at us "Christians" who want to take our kids out to Easter Egg Hunt and take pictures with the Easter Bunny.  Forget that my daughter's basket had a pink kid's Bible in it and that we have Resurrection Eggs we do on Sunday to go over all the verses with her in a fun way that engages her.  Nooooo, we are basically making her bow down at the alter of Ishtar and hump rabbits because the idea of her hanging out with friends and finding plastic eggs in a field sounds like fun!

These are the same people that get all bent out of shape when February comes and they hate on Valentines Day.  "I show my S.O. love all year long and don't need a calendar to remind me to show them love."  Well, some of us LIKE the idea that as a community we are spouting our love for the people who are important to us in a single day.  We don't really celebrate that holiday either until everything is on Clearance, but that's not the point.  The point is: It's fun.  I know about Saint Valentine and his death and the acts that he did.  Amazingly, I just use the excuse to splurge a little on my husband, give a little something to each kid, and get a little something special in the random month of February.  The world must be ending!

Why is there so much blasted hate spewing about the FUN parts of holidays?!

I didn't take my kids out and push that collecting these eggs would increase my chances of having grandbabies.  I didn't put them on the Easter Bunny's lap in hopes their groins would have great reproductive possibilities.  It was for fun.  It's like visiting Mickey Mouse to them.  Wherever these traditions stemed from in the beginning has long since been lost behind Hallmark and Hershey.  What is the harm!?

If you want to hide your kid in a closet for every major holiday that is fine, as I know I have no room to judge.  Raise your kids that way, but for the love of co existence please, please, please stop trying to guilt me because I think these traditions are HARMLESS FUN!!!

by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 17, 2014 at 2:06 PM
14 moms liked this

I agree!  I like the religious parts of holidays but I also like the fun traditions.  So sick of having to explain it or defend it to anyone. 

WildPowerMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 12:29 PM
4 moms liked this

Ditto.  I don't mind people doing different things from the traditional hoopla.  In fact, I love some of the ideas I've seen on Pinterest to incorporate Christianity into holidays.  It's just not our desire to remove "the normal" fun things from our kids.  "In the world, not of the world."

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I agree!  I like the religious parts of holidays but I also like the fun traditions.  So sick of having to explain it or defend it to anyone. 

mrsmoonbeam
by Member on Apr. 18, 2014 at 3:19 PM
2 moms liked this
A family member shared this pic of jesus and children with this bunny with a basket of eggs that read silly rabbit easter is for jesus and I was gobsmaked I didnt say anything on her post Ive posted pics Im sure she didnt a gree with but I thought how tacky I was reminded of the people who foam at the mouth at HAPPY HOLIDAYS instead of MERRY CHRISTMAS I there are other holidays that time of year and them wanting only MERRY CHRISTMAS To be said is like saing that its wrong to honor any other relgion HAPPY HOLIDAYS is honoring ALL holidays not EXCLUDING them.
lasombrs
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree. I am not Christian although dh is Protestant. We let the kids do all the fun stuff and it's just that, fun. Everyone around us can celebrate their way as long as we can celebrate ours :)
lovelife350
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

agree, they think it makes them look smart and above everyone, but really it just makes them look miserable

karrahM
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh, I agree! And can we please add all the people who gripe because someone does something more than they did for their kids??? The gripes about what gifts people give or if kids get new clothes for Easter or leprechaun traps, etc. tend your own garden! Let me do for mine and you for yours and zip it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:13 AM
5 moms liked this
Can we also group in the people that scream that since you are not Christian that your children cannot partake in Easter or Christmas or any other heavily commercialized version of a religious holiday. I just like have fun with my kids and celebrate their childhood.
pinkcoffeecup
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:14 AM
3 moms liked this

Easter is to celebrate Christs Ressurection.  I do also buy some Easter candy.  Just because dh and our son like candy. That's the commercial side of Easter we enjoy also. But we don't let it interfere with the real celebration of Easter. 

wildflowers25
by Member on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:25 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree completely.  I think the ones who spew hate for the holidays are either miserable or think they know it all.  I tend to avoid people like that for the holidays.

jeda1429
by on Apr. 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM

what's a hump rabbit ? lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN