Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I am a welfare queen?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:36 PM
  • 78 Replies
2 moms liked this

I just had the worst experience with this site! I just joined CafeMom a few days ago and was completely in love with everything about it. I've needed this since before my son was born 9 months ago.

But last night I commented on a topic (that was probably way over my mild-tempered manner) about government assistance. My post was simply an "I'm confused about the topic, but this is my situation..." kinda thing and I got totally BASHED! An anonymous person called me a 'welfare queen' and continued to insult me without even giving me the chance to defend myself. 

I'm taken aback by this exchange because I had an amazing introduction to the site! I am completely open-minded and interested in hearing other women's stories, so that was out of left field to not get the same response when I had days before.

Has anyone else dealt with such bullying on CafeMom? :-(

by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM
Yes and yes and yes.

Quoting Mom.Of.Two.2:

I just had the worst experience with this site! I just joined CafeMom a few days ago and was completely in love with everything about it. I've needed this since before my son was born 9 months ago.

But last night I commented on a topic (that was probably way over my mild-tempered manner) about government assistance. My post was simply an "I'm confused about the topic, but this is my situation..." kinda thing and I got totally BASHED! An anonymous person called me a 'welfare queen' and continued to insult me without even giving me the chance to defend myself. 

I'm taken aback by this exchange because I had an amazing introduction to the site! I am completely open-minded and interested in hearing other women's stories, so that was out of left field to not get the same response when I had days before.

Has anyone else dealt with such bullying on CafeMom? :-(

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Its hard to tell based on what you wrote here.  If you have kids while on welfare I do consider that part of being a welfare queen.  I feel like while you are on welfare you should be doing things to make your life better like getting a job, training, finding a stable home, etc.  You should not be having kids, getting credit cards, buying an expensive car.... 

mhaney03
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah, my children have been insulted and even threatened on this site.  just let it roll off your back and look for the non bitchy groups on here, there are a few.

notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Are they right?

offrdngal
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:52 PM
5 moms liked this
You just have to find the right groups. Don't let a few rude women ruin this site, for you.
Mom.Of.Two.2
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Your children have been insulted and THREATENED???? omg... 

Thanks for the advice! I was so disappointed about that.

Quoting mhaney03:

Oh yeah, my children have been insulted and even threatened on this site.  just let it roll off your back and look for the non bitchy groups on here, there are a few.

mhaney03
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:54 PM

friend me, i'll send you a link to one great one.

Quoting Mom.Of.Two.2:

Your children have been insulted and THREATENED???? omg... 

Thanks for the advice! I was so disappointed about that.

Quoting mhaney03:

Mom.Of.Two.2
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I get what you're saying. I would never be able to live with myself if I was buying myself toys and vacations and abusing the government for programs that are designed to help people in need. That wasn't the situation where I felt attacked.

I was hoping the focus of my post would be about bullying on CafeMom. Have you ever felt bullied on here?

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Its hard to tell based on what you wrote here.  If you have kids while on welfare I do consider that part of being a welfare queen.  I feel like while you are on welfare you should be doing things to make your life better like getting a job, training, finding a stable home, etc.  You should not be having kids, getting credit cards, buying an expensive car.... 

FitMom479
by Member on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

The venting booth has a lot of bashing in it...are you expecting? If so, have you become part of a due date group? I LOVEEEE my due date group. They are all soooo wonderful and I haven't seen one negative post or comment in any of the threads! It really is all about finding the right groups. Hang in there momma. People tend to act tough behind a keyboard. Don't let that get you down!

JakobsMom03
by on Apr. 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this

It's pretty much status quo. There's great people too, but the bullying and bashing is very common. Sorry you got treated like that though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN