Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Is this neglect/maltreatment? *EDIT*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 307 Replies

My friends baby is 9 months old. And I have always thought there was something off with her. Her baby weighs 16 lbs 12 oz and is 27 inches. No problem, right?

No 6 months he weighed 17 lbs 2 oz. At 7 and 8 months old he weighed 16 lbs 10 oz. He has LOST weight. 
Well he also hasn't grown either. At 2 months old he was 25 inches. So in 6 months, he has grew 2 inches...

There is just something not right and I feel so bad. She has told me that she isn't gaining weight because he has allergies. Her doctor said he is almost at the failure to thrive point because she isn't feeding him properly.
I feel so bad for him. She posted a picture of him on Facebook and he has sunken eyes and dark circles :(

She isn't beating him but he is literally going to starve to death and I have told her all of this but I need to mind my own business because he's not her kid

WWYD?

*edit* 
I guess I didn't make it clear, my friend has told me that she is not feeding him (she is making him feed himself) because she does not want him "fat". I understand that all babies are different. But I did some research and up until 6 months old, he was in the 50th percentile for weight. After 6 months he dropped to below the 5th percentile. THAT is not normal, regardless of what any of you think. Yes, he could be a small baby but he is also not being fed properly. 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
njt320
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:22 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Thanks for the bump! 

Quoting njt320: Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:25 PM
17 moms liked this

You dont need "evidence" to call CPS ... honestly when you call they have 24-48 hours to do their first home visit unannounced. Depending on the home and look of the child they can request medical documents as to the health of the child... esp if you state shes basically starving her kid.

Honestly is the doctor knows shes not feeding the child enough on purpose they should have reported her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I just feel terrible for the poor baby :( 
She has a very nice home and she loves her kid but she just needs to freaking feed him. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You dont need "evidence" to call CPS ... honestly when you call they have 24-48 hours to do their first home visit unannounced. Depending on the home and look of the child they can request medical documents as to the health of the child... esp if you state shes basically starving her kid.

Honestly is the doctor knows shes not feeding the child enough on purpose they should have reported her. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

If you google "how much does your 9 month old weigh" most of the weights are the same as your friend's son and that doesn't seem to be abnormal. Some of the comments... 

Brenna had her 9 month wellness visit today. She weighed 16lbs 15oz and is 27 1/2 inches long. Her pediatrician said she looked good and was just where she needs to be. She was just above 50 percentile for height and between 25 and 50 percentile in wieght.

My son is 9 months and weighed at his check up 16 lbs 13 oz. Being a big newborn 8.8 lbs, I was very concerned about his weight gain. He is super active and happy and eats well. His pediatrician told me that he is fine, and that he is probably settling into his genetic weight.

My Madison weighs 17.7lbs, she is very petite and is all over the place. My son at this age was 24 lbs, so i guess little girls are tiny, but she is also so chunky monkey eats everything you give her.

My little guy weighed 17lb 11oz last week.  He's on the small side of the scale, but perfectly healthy!

He's just under 17 pounds right now which is small, but depending on his birth weight and if he's breastfeeding than not out of the realm of normal. 

If you have serious concerns you should absolutely talk to CPS just to be safe. 

How do you know what the Doctor said to her? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

If you google "how much does your 9 month old weigh" most of the weights are the same as your friend's son and that doesn't seem to be abnormal. Some of the comments... Brenna had her 9 month wellness visit today. She weighed 16lbs 15oz and is 27 1/2 inches long. Her pediatrician said she looked good and was just where she needs to be. She was just above 50 percentile for height and between 25 and 50 percentile in wieght.

My son is 9 months and weighed at his check up 16 lbs 13 oz. Being a big newborn 8.8 lbs, I was very concerned about his weight gain. He is super active and happy and eats well. His pediatrician told me that he is fine, and that he is probably settling into his genetic weight.

My Madison weighs 17.7lbs, she is very petite and is all over the place. My son at this age was 24 lbs, so i guess little girls are tiny, but she is also so chunky monkey eats everything you give her.

My little guy weighed 17lb 11oz last week.  He's on the small side of the scale, but perfectly healthy!He's just under 17 pounds right now which is small, but depending on his birth weight and if he's breastfeeding than not out of the realm of normal. If you have serious concerns you should absolutely talk to CPS just to be safe. 

I've heard mixed things but I don't think it's normal not to gain any weight or grow any in months. I get all babies are different but I don't know. 

She called and told me how stupid the doctor was and told me what he said. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:51 PM
2 moms liked this

You'll have to follow your gut then. It's better to be safe than sorry, right? Better to report and let them check than not and have something terrible happen to him if he's actually not being fed at all.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

If you google "how much does your 9 month old weigh" most of the weights are the same as your friend's son and that doesn't seem to be abnormal. Some of the comments... Brenna had her 9 month wellness visit today. She weighed 16lbs 15oz and is 27 1/2 inches long. Her pediatrician said she looked good and was just where she needs to be. She was just above 50 percentile for height and between 25 and 50 percentile in wieght.

My little guy weighed 17lb 11oz last week.  He's on the small side of the scale, but perfectly healthy!He's just under 17 pounds right now which is small, but depending on his birth weight and if he's breastfeeding than not out of the realm of normal. If you have serious concerns you should absolutely talk to CPS just to be safe. 

I've heard mixed things but I don't think it's normal not to gain any weight or grow any in months. I get all babies are different but I don't know. 

She called and told me how stupid the doctor was and told me what he said. 

trulyblessed618
by Member on Apr. 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Is the child a picky eater? Why is the mother not concerned?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 23, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I don't know if he is a picky eater because she doesn't feed him . 
Also she isn't concerned because she doesn't want him "fat".  

Quoting trulyblessed618: Is the child a picky eater? Why is the mother not concerned?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN