Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Renting Nightmare/What would you do?

Posted by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  • 59 Replies

I will apologize now for joining a group and immediately venting but I have some serious pent up anger.

We rent one side of a duplex and our neighbors are nothing short of rude. They are extremely loud screaming yelling an slamming doors at late hours of the night. We have tried talking to them but they won't answer the door. We have complained to our landlord but when he contacted them they said we were loud. So now the landlord said its hear say and to be fair he would have to write us both a warning. We have tried several more attempts at talking to them civilly but they will not answer the door.

Now that its warm out our kids are out playing. Well the last two days my kids and some of their friends have been out playing and their child will come out and start problems. My children have tried including him but he throws rocks, hits them, spits at them and takes their things. I've gone over there a few times now to talk to her and she will not answer the door. I am beyond ticked. My kids love to be outside and now her child is taking that from them.

I do not know what else to do! What would any of you do?

by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM
5 moms liked this

call the police the child is throwing rocks that can hurt someone and set up a camera to show that they are throwing rocks

Heebie12
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

call the police the child is throwing rocks that can hurt someone and set up a camera to show that they are throwing rocks

Sad thing is our neighbor behing us is a cop but we have had bad neighbors before this and he won't get involved.

I have left a note on the door asking someone to come and speak with me. I doubt they will. My husband is going to contact our landlord as well.

Thank you for the advice. I would hate to resort to calling the police but maybe that's what I need to do to get my neighbors and landlords attention to the matter at hand.

happinessforyou
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 4:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Move....

Heebie12
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Quoting happinessforyou:

Move....

LOL! I wish it were that easy. We have two kids in school. However, we are hoping to begin our house hunt this summer. Trust me we want nothing more than to move. Hubby had just started a new job just after we moved here and you have to have held a job for 2 years for them to consider you so we had to wait.

littlesippycup
by iloveanons on Apr. 24, 2014 at 4:58 PM

You're not supposed to involve a resident just b/c he's an officer. Call the police. That shit will stop. 

Quoting Heebie12:

Quoting Anonymous:

Sad thing is our neighbor behing us is a cop but we have had bad neighbors before this and he won't get involved.

I have left a note on the door asking someone to come and speak with me. I doubt they will. My husband is going to contact our landlord as well.

Thank you for the advice. I would hate to resort to calling the police but maybe that's what I need to do to get my neighbors and landlords attention to the matter at hand.

SFLMom33
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Record what's happening with a cell cam or other video camera. If you have a way to tape record the noise, keep a digital recorder nearby and start recording when they start banging and yelling.

I'm not sure where you live, but you should check the local ordinances regarding noise. Unfortunately, where I live, the law applies only to artificial noise (so screaming and yelling wont qualify). However, if you live in a community or complex, there may be regulations that set standards for "quiet enjoyment" - and that's something you can take up with the landlord or community manager.

Either way - as soon as the child next door becomes aggressive again (make sure you keep your kids on your side of the yard), document it and call police - they will step in and address violence. If you haven't, also start a paper trail showing that you've attempted to contact your landlord to address grievances - it establishes that you're not calling the police over an isolated incident, but you're concerned about long-term harassment and assault on your children. Take cell phone pics of any notes you leave on the neighbors' door - the photo data stores a time/date stamp.

Good luck! Unfortunately be prepared for it to get worse. I had a neighbor I reported to our HOA for blaring music and parties at all hours of the night, and for racing his quad on our streets and on the neighborhood walking paths (no motorized vehicles allowed). Even though I had documentation (and was able to prove that they were running an illegal daycare out of their home to make extra money - we're talking 15-17 kids), we had to ride it out until their lease was up (the last laugh is on us though - the tenants trashed the house and packed up and left overnight - leaving the landlord who refused to step in with 2 months of lost rent and a mountain of repairs).

nerdymom28
by Member on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Catch the little shit on video next time, then call the cops and show it to them.

Heebie12
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Quoting SFLMom33: Record what's happening with a cell cam or other video camera. If you have a way to tape record the noise, keep a digital recorder nearby and start recording when they start banging and yelling. I'm not sure where you live, but you should check the local ordinances regarding noise. Unfortunately, where I live, the law applies only to artificial noise (so screaming and yelling wont qualify). However, if you live in a community or complex, there may be regulations that set standards for "quiet enjoyment" - and that's something you can take up with the landlord or community manager. Either way - as soon as the child next door becomes aggressive again (make sure you keep your kids on your side of the yard), document it and call police - they will step in and address violence. If you haven't, also start a paper trail showing that you've attempted to contact your landlord to address grievances - it establishes that you're not calling the police over an isolated incident, but you're concerned about long-term harassment and assault on your children. Take cell phone pics of any notes you leave on the neighbors' door - the photo data stores a time/date stamp. Good luck! Unfortunately be prepared for it to get worse. I had a neighbor I reported to our HOA for blaring music and parties at all hours of the night, and for racing his quad on our streets and on the neighborhood walking paths (no motorized vehicles allowed). Even though I had documentation (and was able to prove that they were running an illegal daycare out of their home to make extra money - we're talking 15-17 kids), we had to ride it out until their lease was up (the last laugh is on us though - the tenants trashed the house and packed up and left overnight - leaving the landlord who refused to step in with 2 months of lost rent and a mountain of repairs).

Thank you for your advice. We do have recordings of the noise and I did take a photo of the note i left of their door.

We also have quiet hours stated in our rental agreement. Quiet hours begin at 9pm and end at 7am. Every night like clock work at 10 pm things get loud.

My husband is fed up with trying to contact them and be civil and feels the landlord is a lost cause so we've been sucking it up lately.

NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I would record everything and send weekly updates to the landlord.  If it was dangerous like throwing rocks I would call the police and show them. 

pinkcoffeecup
by on Apr. 24, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Heck if I know it's going on.  I'd be out there with a video camera.  Most Smart Phone cell phones have them. I'd be videoing the whole thing. Then showing it to police as well as the parents.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)