Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Shampoo no more

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:44 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this
I know this may sound crazy, but I having shampooed or conditioned my hair since February. I've been trying to weed out chemicals from my hair for a while now. I haven't dyed my hair in God knows how long. So I went to look for more ways I can cut out the chem. There are products like NoPoo that you can buy to cut out shampoo, but those have chemicals as well. Then I came across a very simple solution. Baking soda.

Now, I don't know all the science to it so I won't pretend I'm an expert but I do know it has a pH level closer to hair than shampoo. Shampoo strips your hair of the natural oils that are healthy for it, so over time it trains your hair to produce more and more oil causing more oily hair. Since baking soda is close in pH to your hair it doesn't cause it to over produce those oils. 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup is all you need. Make a paste before hand or just grab it as you go since it'll mix in either way with the water and you're good to go. It doesn't produce a comforting lather that chemical products do, but that's one luxury I can part with. Also you will have to wash more frequently for a while as your hair gets retrained to produce its natural oils at the right level.

For conditioner there's another very simple solution. Apple cider vinegar. Crazy I know! I'm not gonna lie to you, my hair has never been softer. Like the baking soda there's a loss to luxury. Since it doesn't have the waxy coating other chemical conditioners have so your hair isn't silky smooth while wet. When it dries though, omg. I love running my fingers through it! 2-3 tablespoons in about 8oz cup of water is all you need. I soak my ends for about a minute in the cup then pour the rest over the remaining hair. After that you just rinse!

I know some of you might call this crazy, but I won't go back to shampoo. I'm loving my hair now, and its without chemical crap.
by on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2014 at 1:52 AM
Interesting! Can you post a pic do we can see it?
ZoeCatheryn
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Day after wash.

Quoting Anonymous: Interesting! Can you post a pic do we can see it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:26 AM
It DOES look soft! Pretty!

And oh my gosh, so much cheaper!

Cool! Don't know that I'm brave enough to try it just yet, but cool!

Oh does the vinegar smell... Like vinegar?? Lol. I mean when you're done, What does your hair smell like?
ZoeCatheryn
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Its definetly a change you have to commit to since reshampooing would cause you to have to back track on progress. The vinegar does smell at first (faint) but once it dries there's no smell.

Quoting Anonymous: It DOES look soft! Pretty!

And oh my gosh, so much cheaper!

Cool! Don't know that I'm brave enough to try it just yet, but cool!

Oh does the vinegar smell... Like vinegar?? Lol. I mean when you're done, What does your hair smell like?
Canadiana
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Yeah once you stop using shampoo and conditioner, you realize how bad it it for your hair... and that your hair is much greasier with it than without....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I started using baking soda as a facial scrub.  What a difference.

everydaymom08
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Really???

Quoting Anonymous:

I started using baking soda as a facial scrub.  What a difference.

everydaymom08
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:21 AM
That's neat!!!!!!
ZoeCatheryn
by Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:57 AM
I know I swear I'm never going back!

Quoting Canadiana:

Yeah once you stop using shampoo and conditioner, you realize how bad it it for your hair... and that your hair is much greasier with it than without....

Purgatorian
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:11 AM
I haven't washed my hair all week and was going to look into this today as a matter of fact! The only issue I have is what about using products in your hair for styling? I use hairspray to keep my cut in place and I'm not sure that the vinegar rinse is going to get it all out? Also how often do you do the baking soda scrub?

I really want to go shampoo free because my hair its getting brittle from years of dying it and crappy oil striping shampoos. Last week I dyed it back to my natural color so I could just leave it alone from now on.

Really looking forward to the money saving that comes with this to!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN