Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Racist old lady!

Posted by on May. 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM
  • 48 Replies
Yesterday I went to the grocery store. I was bagging my items (Food for Less) and the lady behind me with her adult son were bagging their things. I had my 2 yr old DD with me.

My DD was happily chattering away at me, and the lady says in Spanish to her son: "what a shame, making the pretty little girl dirty by making her half black. I don't understand these Mexican women having black husbands and babies!" Her son said to her (in Spanish) "quiet mama, I think she understands you!" To which the lady says "good!"

I don't speak Spanish, but I can understand it. I was so shocked at what she was saying I just stood there trying to quickly bag my items. The cashier was just shaking her head in disbelief.

Why?? Why would anyone say that, especially within earshot of the child and parent? Yes my DD is half Black but she's also part Mexican and white and a tiny bit American Indian. But how in the hell does that make her "dirty" and seriously, how is it any business Of hers?

I am still upset about it now, but I didn't tell DH because I know he would be ticked off. No reason to upset him like I'm upset!
by on May. 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whoodathunk
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Wrong, just plain wrong.  Unfortunately, the older generation often has not caught up with the time.  I'm sure your daughter is beautiful and hope that she didn't understand.

MumsTheWord571
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Thanks. Fortunately, she doesn't understand Spanish. It just really bugged me that she would say that!

Quoting whoodathunk:

Wrong, just plain wrong.  Unfortunately, the older generation often has not caught up with the time.  I'm sure your daughter is beautiful and hope that she didn't understand.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 2, 2014 at 2:15 PM
I am so sorry you had to experience that! Thank goodness your daughter is too young to understand, but one day she won't be. I think for some reason the older people lack a filter. It's no excuse, everyone should have manners and mind their own Damn business.

My ex boss (and friend for over 25 years) is Hispanic and married a black man. They have three gorgeous kids. The oldest I. Hs is still facing dumb ass comments.
acer.acerpori
by on May. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
2 moms liked this
I would haven given her a piece of my mind, I don't tolerate racism I would have told her off!
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on May. 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I've had stupid comments like that about my children as well. People should just learn to shut up.

jamelame
by on May. 2, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I would have seriously had to hold myself back from slapping her.

mrsmoonbeam
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM
WHY are we STILL dealing with shit like thhis in 2014 you woulld think we would know better and I guess thw majorty do but its the few loud mouthed IDIOTS HAVE TO HAVE THEIR SAY Someone should have told the old bat to shut the hell up

Quoting whoodathunk:

whoodathunk
by Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Some of us still have the mentality of "respecting our elders" and do not feel comfortable confronting them.  I guess we're just as wrong for not confronting them as they are for saying it.  The only difference in this situation is that the little girl did NOT understand what was said.  Had the OP spoken up, her daughter would have been hurt.  

Quoting mrsmoonbeam: WHY are we STILL dealing with shit like thhis in 2014 you woulld think we would know better and I guess thw majorty do but its the few loud mouthed IDIOTS HAVE TO HAVE THEIR SAY Someone should have told the old bat to shut the hell up
Quoting whoodathunk:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Oh goodness!  I mean everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but sometimes it's just better to keep it to yourself.  Some people are just dumb.

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
People can be assholes.You aren't going to change random racists and I don't think having a confrontation with a stranger is ever a good idea. I think the best thing to do is to try to instill a positive sense of self into your daughter and model positive behavior. The good news is that by the time she is bagging her groceries with HER daughter, chances are that things like this will be a rare occurrence.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN