Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I'm SICK of the Experts!

Posted by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:18 PM
  • 123 Replies
42 moms liked this

The experts say we can't spank our children, we can't yell at our children, and now we can't put our children in time-out.  Apparently, our children are delicate little snowflakes whose entire future hinges on us never losing our cool or making them sad during any part of raising them or all is for nothing.  They will become the next Ted Bundy, Adolf Hitler, or Aileen Wuornos if you potty train them incorrectly.

Don't hug them too much!  Make sure you hug them enough!  Don't call them bossy.  Give them a chance to make decisions.  Don't ignore them.  Don't make them the center of your universe.  Only use positive affirmation with them.  Don't let them have too high of self-esteem.  It's like parenthood has become some tight rope act that if one leans too far to one side or the other will completely drop the ball on parenthood and give the world another psychopath. 

I have a SIL who has 5 kids and spanked them as a primary form of discipline.  They are middle school aged to college aged, well adjusted, good kids.  My cousin never spanked her two children and are both in middle school, well adjusted, good kids.  It is possible that ::gasp:: good human beings can be produced through different means of discipline?

Maybe apart of our Motherhood Job is to decide who our children are and what they need to be well functioning human beings.  Maybe, just maybe, even the less -than-perfect parents who love their children and want the best for them can produce good human beings, even if they don't parent "right" all the time.

Is anyone else tired of the experts?!

by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melissaAD1125
by New Member on May. 5, 2014 at 8:36 PM
5 moms liked this
I definetly agree I had spankings and time outs and I'm not a raging psycho
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2014 at 8:45 PM
15 moms liked this
Kids are terrible today because parents are not legally allowed to stand up to them and put them in their place. Then you have the snowflake parents that worship nanny laws because they need their lives legislated and don't trust their own common sense. Their kids are the snottiest and biggest wimps out there.
I raise my kids by what works with them.
Tranquil_Octopi
by on May. 5, 2014 at 8:59 PM
5 moms liked this

I rarely listen to the experts, I do my own research and get to actually know my own children. I do what works for each of them. 

Crazylife1994
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Someone that actually gets annoyed like me. I completely agree.

spunknsass
by on May. 5, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with you. 

mommy2adandykid
by New Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:08 PM
7 moms liked this

lmao you referred to the writers of 'The Stir' as experts bahahahahahaha what drugs are you on?

WildPowerMom
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Oh, I use the term loosely.  If you pick any hot parenting topic on the board you can find "research" and "studies" to support your side of the arguement.  It doesn't surprise me someone has found "negative results" for time out.

I'm just over hearing about how easy it is to warp our children. 

Quoting mommy2adandykid:

lmao you referred to the writers of 'The Stir' as experts bahahahahahaha what drugs are you on?

nocalmegan
by Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:17 PM
Same here!

Quoting melissaAD1125: I definetly agree I had spankings and time outs and I'm not a raging psycho
MotherOfPurpose
by New Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:25 PM

And the choir says AMEN!!!!!woohoo

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm totally with you, I was spanked as a kid and I'm a well rounded, non psychotic 27 year old with a decent job, my own home, and a 3 year old boy, and 8 year old Step Daughter that are also pretty well rounded and incredibly smart. (Based on average kids their age anyway, they are both in the above average range.) I figure I was blessed with being a woman, evolution or God, whichever it was decided that I needed a uterus, ovaries, and a vagina to be a mother. I have the natural instinct to do so, and I use it. I've never once read a parenting book, yet somehow my kids seem to do just fine in daily life. I would much rather trust my instinct, and learn how to raise MY kids based on their needs and personalities and not trust some "expert" who is basing their research on all children being exactly the same.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN