Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

He Won't Buy Me Stuff!

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM
  • 222 Replies

No, this is not a rant about how my husband won't buy me clothes or jewelrey. I don't ask for much. Up until now, I had a job that I could buy my own stuff. The problem is that he refuses to buy me the two things I need the most.

Number one: A new pair of glasses. I can't see without glasses. my son accidentally broke my current pair. I can still wear them but one of the things that goes behind the ear is missing so they are hard to keep on my face.

Number two: A FREAKING CAR!! We have only one vehicle, a van, that my father in law paid for. That is HIS car. I need my own car...that way when I go to work, I don't have to constantly borrow his car and leave them home with a vehicle.

My husband gets around six hundred and something a month on his disability check. (Yes, he has a genuine disability check and cannot get work.) How hard is it to put aside a little bit of that a month to help me save for a car? No, I do not expect him to spend all his money on me.

I am trying to save up for a pair of glasses and a car...on my own. I am currently unemployed but I am supposed to be getting a call to come in for a job interview. The place I will be interviewing at is like five minutes from house.

A pair of glasses will cost around $150 at walmart.

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 7, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jupiter5
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:59 PM
6 moms liked this
Americas best has 2 pairs for 70$
NDADanceMom
by on May. 7, 2014 at 10:01 PM
36 moms liked this

I was going to say that is financial abuse but how can you afford 2 cars as far as gas and insurance with less than $700 a month?  Dont you have to buy other things like a roof over your head and electricity?  I dont think he can buy you a car or glasses.  It really sounds like there is not enough money. 

amberNewman0213
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:01 PM
15 moms liked this
I understand why won't get a car. $600 a month and with u unemployed I couldn't imagine having to budget a family on $600 a month. He sounds like he is trying to be responsible with finances being so limited.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Oh, forgot to say that his dad pays the car note and insurance. He does help with light and internet, we live with his dad and two brothers. He pays half the light bill, around $50-$100 depending on how the light bill is, the internet which is around $50 a month, and rent which is another $100. We get foodstamps so that usually pays for our groceries. He buys our son enough diapers to last the month.

I'm not saying he has to buy a car and glasses immediately. But would it kill him to put up something every month? That's what I'm doing! I have around $85 put up for my glasses. The eye exam is $75. All I am asking is that he HELP me save for the car.

The main reason I want him to buy me a car is because it sucks having only one vehicle.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I was going to say that is financial abuse but how can you afford 2 cars as far as gas and insurance with less than $700 a month?  Dont you have to buy other things like a roof over your head and electricity?  I dont think he can buy you a car or glasses.  It really sounds like there is not enough money. 

CafeMom Tickers

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand all that. I'm not asking him to go out and buy me an expensive car. I don't need one of those. I just need one that runs. And I'm not asking him to go out tomorrow and buy me one. All I ask is that he HELPS me save for a car.

Quoting amberNewman0213: I understand why won't get a car. $600 a month and with u unemployed I couldn't imagine having to budget a family on $600 a month. He sounds like he is trying to be responsible with finances being so limited.

CafeMom Tickers

amberNewman0213
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM
8 moms liked this
I'd try to be able to cover all the bills without his father's help before getting another car. U know? I'm not meaning that in a rude way but I'm sure its a Financial strain on his dad.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Oh, forgot to say that his dad pays the car note and insurance. He does help with light and internet, we live with his dad and two brothers. He pays half the light bill, around $50-$100 depending on how the light bill is, the internet which is around $50 a month, and rent which is another $100. We get foodstamps so that usually pays for our groceries. He buys our son enough diapers to last the month.

I'm not saying he has to buy a car and glasses immediately. But would it kill him to put up something every month? That's what I'm doing! I have around $85 put up for my glasses. The eye exam is $75. All I am asking is that he HELP me save for the car.

The main reason I want him to buy me a car is because it sucks having only one vehicle.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Well, we live with his father in law and two brothers. I hate living with them. We do our best to help out. The van belongs to my father in law and I just feel so bad borrowing it all the time. Shoot, I probably drive it more often than my father in law does.

Plus, I would love to have a vehicle that I could take whenever I wanted without having to ask for permission.

I'm hoping if I get this job, he will be more...willing to help me save for a car.

Quoting amberNewman0213: I'd try to be able to cover all the bills without his father's help before getting another car. U know? I'm not meaning that in a rude way but I'm sure its a Financial strain on his dad.
Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting NDADanceMom:

CafeMom Tickers

notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:20 PM
25 moms liked this
So much wrong here.
Cuddlyknuckle
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM
7 moms liked this

If you can get your prescribtion from your eye doctor, you can order new glasses online at zennioptical.com. They have cheap frames and everything isn't much. I bought two pairs from there, both were under $30. I've ordered them on a Friday and had to wait 10-14 days before my new ones were in.

proudmother5946
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:41 PM
5 moms liked this
See if you could just get new frames. If your current lenses are ok?
I think glasses are a priority here. You need to be able to see.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN