Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

DS7 invited to his teachers baby shower---held in class

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM
  • 60 Replies

My son's teacher is prego, due sometime in summer i think.  He cam home with an invite to her baby shower tomorrow (held during school hours) in class!!

Luckily we are already planning to be out of town, but now he wants to buy a gift for the baby (of course).

Does anyone else thing this is weird and tacky?

by on May. 8, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM

nope not at all, we have them all the time for teachers, usually the class parent will organize one for the teacher and it's optional to chip in for the class gift (but ALL childrens names are signed on the class gift regardless if they send in money or not) and its OPTIONAL for students to give their own gift

LaurenCalt
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM
3 moms liked this

I actually think its kind of sweet that your son wants to give something to the baby.

Instead of buying something, why don't you help him make a present?  Like a Popsicle stick picture frame or a painted flower pot.  This way, its a personalized present and it doesn't cost you much (if anything!), and your son still feels like he gave his teacher something for her new baby.  Plus, its a nice little activity for you two to do together and it will teach him about giving (instead of always wanting to receive).

LeilaBeansMom
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Awwwww! Cute! I think it's a great idea.
perrick86
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:56 AM
When my now 15 year old daughter was in 1st grade, the teacher was getting married. I really liked her and thought it would b cute to have a shower for her from the kids! It was so much fun and the parents even gave money to get gifts. Then when she was in the 5th grade, another great teacher, was pregnant so I got together with another mom who I was friends with since high school put together a baby shower, again from kids.
It sounds silly or odd, but, the students really enjoyed as well as the teachers. To this day I hear that it was an amazing idea and has been repeated by other parents if the event presents itself. So no, its not weird or tacky.
Pecuellar
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:28 PM

No mention was made about this. Should I ask?

Quoting AJsMom81507:

nope not at all, we have them all the time for teachers, usually the class parent will organize one for the teacher and it's optional to chip in for the class gift (but ALL childrens names are signed on the class gift regardless if they send in money or not) and its OPTIONAL for students to give their own gift

Pecuellar
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I really don't mind the gift or cost.  We are going to Seaworld this weekend and told him he could buy something there.  It just seems inappropriate to me, I would never invite a 7 year old boy to a regular baby shower.

Quoting LaurenCalt:

I actually think its kind of sweet that your son wants to give something to the baby.

Instead of buying something, why don't you help him make a present?  Like a Popsicle stick picture frame or a painted flower pot.  This way, its a personalized present and it doesn't cost you much (if anything!), and your son still feels like he gave his teacher something for her new baby.  Plus, its a nice little activity for you two to do together and it will teach him about giving (instead of always wanting to receive).

AJsMom81507
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

i would definately ask whoever is organizing this the question...

Quoting Pecuellar:

No mention was made about this. Should I ask?

Quoting AJsMom81507:

AJsMom81507
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

i wouldnt call it a traditional shower by any means... from my experience the "shower" is held in school, during school hours, with treats and decorations for the teacher.  if the shower was at a location on the weekend, then yes i would think it was weird

Quoting Pecuellar:

I really don't mind the gift or cost.  We are going to Seaworld this weekend and told him he could buy something there.  It just seems inappropriate to me, I would never invite a 7 year old boy to a regular baby shower.

Quoting LaurenCalt:

Pecuellar
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:33 PM

OK i see, but I nver heard anything about this before the invitation.  Not, its a class project, or do parents want to chip in, nothing but hey we are having a baby shower on Friday.  I think if I had known ahead of time or the parent (if there is one) had called to say what was going on it would not seem so weird

Quoting perrick86: When my now 15 year old daughter was in 1st grade, the teacher was getting married. I really liked her and thought it would b cute to have a shower for her from the kids! It was so much fun and the parents even gave money to get gifts. Then when she was in the 5th grade, another great teacher, was pregnant so I got together with another mom who I was friends with since high school put together a baby shower, again from kids. It sounds silly or odd, but, the students really enjoyed as well as the teachers. To this day I hear that it was an amazing idea and has been repeated by other parents if the event presents itself. So no, its not weird or tacky.

Pecuellar
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 12:47 PM

valid point.  any excuse to get out of classwork right? 

Quoting AJsMom81507:

i wouldnt call it a traditional shower by any means... from my experience the "shower" is held in school, during school hours, with treats and decorations for the teacher.  if the shower was at a location on the weekend, then yes i would think it was weird

Quoting Pecuellar:

Quoting LaurenCalt:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN