Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

PG-13 movie okay for a 5yo?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 215 Replies
1 mom liked this
The ex has our 5yo ds this weekend. He sent a text a little while ago saying he may take him to see the new spiderman. I replied, the adult movie?
Here's the texts;
Him:
I may take him to watch spiderman later
Me:
The new adult movie?
Him:
Adult movie?
Me:
Yeah it's not a kid movie spiderman is it?
Him:
The one that just came out
Me:
It's pg13 .. I looked it up on imdb, no sex/nudity in it, but lots of violence and gore, some profanity (not a bunch) and a bit of frightening and intense scenes. I've never let him watch anything not specifically for kids..
Him:
Do you not want me to or something?
Me:
It's just my preference; I don't agree with children watching movies geared towards young adults/teens..
Him:
I don't think they'd make the fighting or anything excessive bc they know kids will be watching. If they did they would rate it R. Standards for movies are strict, like if they lit a cigarette it's an automatic R.
Me:
He's 5. He told me about the Captain America movie too. It was nice for him to get to share that with your sister; but I don't like that either. He told me about Captain America getting bloody and something bad happening to his tummy.. I looked it up on imdb later that day and it was rough stuff for a 5yr olds viewing. Pg13 dear, meaning he should be 13 and with parental guidance.. yes? Whatever you'd like to do though.. but I do not agree with it. It's not something I want him seeing/thinking about. Kids take movies for real, they are very impressionable..
Him:
The same can be said about a lot of stuff though. Like hunting and shooting games. Even sword play on the wii can make a kid think it's ok to pick a stick up and hit somebody.
Me:
Alright, alright. Lol Do whatever you feel is right, I still feel the same way. And if you do, keep it at a minimum and don't let it get excessive
Him:
I dont mean to come off soundingly like an ass or fight or anything. Has he had any issues over seeing cap america?
Him:
If he had nightmares or something from it then we wont watch spiderman
Me:
It's just not appropriate. At all actually.
Me:
He's 5. Way too young to be watching that. Not age appropriate, not even close for him..
Him:
Ill think about it

I have custody. Can I prevent this from happening at all? See the disregard for how I as the custodial parent feels?! Like he's all "not trying to be an ass" .. ?? Uhhmm, yeah, actually you are! And wtf, freakin swordplay on wii sports resort will NOT make a child think it's ok to hit someone with a stick!

Just really really pisses me off. I'm the one raising him fulltime, who the hell does he think he is to tell me that he'll "think about it" .. have some fucking respect! If you want to see it so badly, I'm sure your mom and dad would babysit while you go watch a movie; they typically have him on your visitation anyways.

So weigh in ladies, what is YOUR opinion? Any of you go through this? Can I have a say in what they allow him to view?
I thought this was common sense. I don't understand why he's got to fight me on everything. *sigh*

EDIT;
Got ds back yesterday, we were getting milkshakes and a commercial for the new Godzilla movie was playing on the screen. He said, mommy why wouldn't you let daddy take me to see spiderman? I just told him it wasn't for kids his age. And if he still wanted to see it in a few years it won't be a problem, but mommy doesn't think kids should watch grown up movies. He said ok. And he was PERFECTLY FINE with it. He did say however, daddy was mad at you. Lol
I knew he was. We're still friendly with eachother so we text randomly about anything throughout the day, I texted him a few times with no response and he was distant yesterday when I picked ds up. BUT then he must have been over it last night (bc he probably went to see it after ds left!) bc he was back to normal last night!
Men;*smh*
Posted by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Bump!!
Perstephane92
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM

I only have a 6 month old, but I imagine I won't be letting her watch PG13 movies when she's 5. My parents let me watch Poltergeist (way worse than Spiderman, I know) when I was 9, and I didn't sleep for a week...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 9, 2014 at 4:48 PM
40 moms liked this
Honestly? I think you need to chill. He is his child too. It pisses me off that women try and control everything a man does with their mutual child. My 6 year-old has seen the Batman movies, Superman movies, TMNT movies, and the Fast Five movies, among others, and he wasn't scared, nor does he act out because of them.
Fairegirl33
by New Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this

it would depend on the movie.. i prob would watch it first then decide what content (if any) is not appropriate for them.  i'd decide from there.

schatzi869
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I would let my kid see it.
fullxbusymom
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope there is nothing you can do. 

Also I see nothing wrong with it.  We don't feel a need to censor what they watch.  They have learned to know what they are comfortable or not ready to handle for them.  This has worked very well for us. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2014 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I watched Chuckie and Nightmare on Elm st when I was ds' age .. and yeah, I still have a dislike for dolls and I would run and jump into my bed every night until I was like 10 I was scared someone like freddy was under my bed!

I do not agree with it at all. It's wrong to expose children to that and make then fearful to that extent. I want my ds to be a child as long as he can be. Teenage years will come soon enough, I don't want him exposed to that shit so young..
what is wrong with ppl?! I don't want him seeing bloody movies, fighting and things like that.. I know it's spiderman, but if it were appropriate for a child ds' age then it wouldn't be pg13..

Quoting Perstephane92:

I only have a 6 month old, but I imagine I won't be letting her watch PG13 movies when she's 5. My parents let me watch Poltergeist (way worse than Spiderman, I know) when I was 9, and I didn't sleep for a week...

sugareemommee
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:53 PM
4 moms liked this
I let my 3 year old watch man of steel.

You're overreacting, IMO.
waytomanykids10
by on May. 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM
12 moms liked this

Meh, all my kids watch rated R movies. There is this thing we do called *teaching them the difference between real and fantasy.*

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Wow, really???
I don't get how anyone would want their young child see an adult movie.. /:
Thanks for the honesty ladies; keep em coming, I know I'm not the only mom that has an issue with this..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)