Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Giving diet coke to a toddler.

Posted by on May. 23, 2014 at 5:39 PM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

So normally I wouldn't even let something like this bother me because frankly I am not the child's parent. However, I was waiting with my husband and daughter while he got a haircut and saw something that made me rather sad. This woman walks in with a little boy in a stroller, maybe 3 years old or so. He was absolutely adorable. The mother is sitting there waiting and she pulls out a bottle of diet coke to drink, she then proceeds to get a baby bottle out of the stroller and pour diet coke into it and hand it to the little boy. Now I know I don't always feed my child the cleanest and healthiest foods every second of every day. This just really bothered me, its even worse than regular soda in my opinion. I mean seriously this stuff is completely unnatural and its being given to a 3 year old?? Do you ever see stuff like that and feel bothered by it? I just feel like its one thing to put crap in your own body but to do it to a growing child?? I know its really none of my business hence why I would have never said anything out loud, but needed somewhere to vent it!

shrugging

by on May. 23, 2014 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bothsidesofcoin
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope because I don't raised children perfectly so I don't judge any other parent unless there is something completely dangerous or lawfully wrong about their behavior
blueberry1
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM
6 moms liked this
That would really bother me too. I would never give diet anything to a young child, and to put it in his bottle???
MorriganzMommy
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't obsess over it But i might sigh and have to look away. That's gross! I dont let my 7 yeast old drink soda and i won't drink it pregnant. That is how disgusting i find it. Can't imagine giving it to a 3 year old.
3JuJu3
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand why people do that when water is relatively free.  Yes, I might drink diet coke (I can't stand regular soda), but I still wouldn't give my kids it, much less a toddler. 

Taylor94
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 2:24 PM
8 moms liked this

Why is a THREE year old drinking from a bottle anyway??

wickedstepjenn
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM
If my child was thirsty and there wasnt any water (im sure they would have gave her some for him) then and only then id let him sip from the soda bottle only enough till I found water. Diet isnt in my familys diet so that would never happen.

Worst I drink is poweraid and I wouldnt feel so bad giving that to a 3 yr old.
AllAboutAmaya
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM

My ex best friend's mom gave her daughter alcohol when she was only a year old! I was thoughroughly disgusted but its not my place to say anything so I just took my daughter and left. Some people.

Bella-Kiwi
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Yeah, I would never. However, I wouldn't judge.
lovebug72
by on May. 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I think it's sad too, but I probably wouldn't say anything.  I remember seeing an episode of 20/20 a few years ago about families who lived in poverty in a certain town. It was common for the mother to give their babies bottles filled with Mountain Dew, which has one of the highest caffeine content of all sodas. It really bothered me, but I feel for families who maybe lack education, resources, or are just so down and out that this is not what concerns them...like they have too many other things to worry about in life. My 7 year old has never even had a regular soda in his life, because I think it's so bad for you. I once let him try some as a treat at a party and he spit it out  because he is used to drinking just milk, water, or watered down juice. Despite this, I don't think it's my place to voice my judgment towards others because their circumstances maybe very different than my own.

Cassie2115
by on May. 24, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this
This!!!! My kids have all been off a bottle by 9 months!
That said, the only pop my kids have ever gotten is root beer and it's always a small amount as a treat.

Quoting Taylor94:

Why is a THREE year old drinking from a bottle anyway??

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)