Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

What is your definition of a "single mom?"

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

I am just curious to know what your definition of a single mom is and what it is not...

Posted by Anonymous on May. 25, 2014 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2014 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I always think of it as someone who has no male partner in the house to help.

offrdngal
by Member on May. 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I see a single mom as a mom who is raising her child(ren) completely on her own. The father is not in the picture and gives no financial support.

The definition can be broad though.
amandacr1026
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I consider myself to be a single mom. The father Has only visited a handful of times and she's a year and a half. she has no idea who he is. He was ordered to pay child support but he doesn't  pay it so I don't get anything financially. I am the parent that is there for her twenty four seven. I am the one raising her. I have help from my parents but its not the same as having a partner. I still feel "on my own".

csxt99
by Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:07 PM

One who was never married to the father of her child(ren) and is not in a daily relationship with him.

crazymama11
by Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:10 PM
3 moms liked this

I would say it is a woman who lives independently on her own raising the child whether the father has visits or pays support. The woman is still the sole caregiver. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 26, 2014 at 7:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I believe that I am a "single mom." I am the mother of a seven year old DS and I am also in no type of committed relationship. I do everything on my own. I support DS on my own, there is a child support order, however, he doesn't pay anything. I do everything!!! 

I feel like there should be different names for different types of  "single moms." Different names for the mom who has sole custody, finantially gets support from the father and shares physical time with the father. There are many different scenarios.

I get offended when I hear a "single mom" complaining about not having any time to themselves and in the next breath they are talking about how much they miss their children who are with their fathers for the weekend. I don't even get that; my break is when I lock myself in the bathroom to take a mommy timeout. All while the child is standing outside the door repeatedly asking me when I will be out. 

blueberry1
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 7:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not sure what you hope to acheive by defining levels for "single moms."  It seems there is a tendency for everyone on this site to focus on "my life is harder" or "my life is better" or "I have less money" or "I have more money."  It does nothing but create drama and conflict, and I really don't see the point.  Making these distinctions don't help you support other moms, or get support for yourself.  

PeachQuean
by on May. 26, 2014 at 7:57 AM
Lives alone raising her kids.....I.dated and still was a single mom. I raised my 3 kids with no.help.

Now I'm not. I.live with my bf!
quickbooksworm
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Agreed

Quoting blueberry1:

I am not sure what you hope to acheive by defining levels for "single moms."  It seems there is a tendency for everyone on this site to focus on "my life is harder" or "my life is better" or "I have less money" or "I have more money."  It does nothing but create drama and conflict, and I really don't see the point.  Making these distinctions don't help you support other moms, or get support for yourself.  

An0nym0use
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM
I believe a single mom is a woman who is not in a committed relationship with the father of her child, or a permanent relationship with a father figure (so no step dad).

I know a woman who believe that you are not a single mom if you receive ANY support from anyone. So no family to help you pay for bills, live with, or child care and no ex to be a part time dad and check. She believes the only real single moms are the ones who have no one to help.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)