Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Do Your Parents (or other relatives) Take Your Kids So You Can Have a Break?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: Do your parents (or in-laws or other relatives) take your kids for a weekend or so from time to time?

Options:

Yes!

No.

I wish they would...

It'll be a cold day in hell before I let them take my kids for any length of time!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

My husband and I have two boys, 2.5 and 6.5. The oldest is autistic, but his personality is pretty laid back, so we're lucky that they're relatively easy to handle. My MIL has cancer and dementia; she lives on her own, but doesn't drive so daily check-ins do for now (and the spouse takes her to all of her doctor visits). My husband and I both work and, occasionally, it would be nice to have my parents (more like my mother) take the boys so we could have a couple of days to ourselves. We need the break from the boys, from work, and from dealing with my MIL.

I've mentioned to my mom that it would be nice to have a break periodically and she says that no one ever offered to do that for her. This is the same line she gives me about my dad; he never offered to change a diaper or take one of us to the doctor or anything like that. I should be so happy that my husband does all that he does, blah, blah, blah. (Hello, they're his kids too.)

I'm not sure what to think. They're her grandchildren; I thought she would want to spend time with them. It's not like I'm asking for every other weekend or something. Once a year would be great. I even asked for that as a birthday gift and she gave me $50 instead.

This brings me to my poll. Do your parents/in-laws/other relatives take your kids off your hands periodocally so you can have a break? I'm thinking I expect too much out of my mother. She's so much younger than my MIL (about 20 years) so I was hoping she would be more inclined to help us out by giving my husband and I a break. 

Take the poll! Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Purgatorian
by Bronze Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Your mom sounds like a bitch. I take my grandkids at least once a month so my children can have a night or two off.

I say no occasionally, because I don't want little kids every weekend. But it still usually works out to two weekends out of the 4 I have one of them.

My mom, royal bitch that she was, still took my kids once or twice a year so I got a break. Usually for birthdays our anniversary.

You're not expecting to much. You just got the shit end of the stick it seems.
Tracylynn100
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 7:35 PM

My grandparents used to take us most of summer break.  My mom will come and stay with the kids or they can stay with her.  I don't do it often but is nice.  My sil and I also take each others kids.  I am sorry your mom is like that.  Do you have any friends you could trade time with?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Just hire a sitter since it's just once a year.  She doesn't want to deal with your kids for whatever reasons. 

blackpoppy
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this

my mother has cancer as well  but her's is lung cancer she was feeling weel enough to take my 7 yro dd and my almost three yro ds so they will be going to the movies tomorow night my dd is sooo  excited. my older brother will be taking my ds to the petting zoo ( my ds is blind so going to the movies would not be all that much fun for him lol he wont sit still long enough to enjoy the movie nevermind not being able to see it)so he will be enjoying the animals and playing at the park with his uncle. soo that leaves me with dd #2 whi is 8 months so we will be going shopping for summer stuff for her and big brother and sister. annnd if i'm really lucky i might be able to sleep in ohh i cant wait sleep wonderful sleep lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM
No they don't. My grandparents will occasionally babysit while I grocery shop or something if I ask but that's all.
And I agree, you are lucky he helps out.
ayacocca
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Ha.. no they dont. I can only hope.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM
I really wish they did. I'm a sahm and dh works out of town. He has been gone a week and isn't due home until 7/20. At least one break from them would be nice but I won't get it. And I have to pack up the house to move, that's why dh will be back in July, so that he can help me move into our new house.
grose85
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:49 AM
I know exactly how you feel. My parents wont take my kids to visit either or just to help out. My step dad hates children with a passion and my mom has every excuse in the book. There not old there in there late 40's. Its hard to except sometimes that my parents really dont like kids. Both sets of my grandparents were so amazing and loveable with us. My real dad truck drives and his wife is an alcoholic so my kids visiting them is obviously out of the question. My daughter is with me 24-7 so breaks from her are when shes asleep or when im barricaded in the bathroom for 5 minutes to myself with my 2 year old screaming crying and banging on the other side of the door. Grocery shopping is horrible im putting stuff in the basket shes throwing it out. Ive even considered daycare. She was in daycare when I was going to school and it was helpful. Do you guys have any other close family or friends that would be able to help out? I completely get you parents need there alone time together and away from the little ones for a bit. Its like a breath of fresh air to enjoy and recuperate.

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband and I have two boys, 2.5 and 6.5. The oldest is autistic, but his personality is pretty laid back, so we're lucky that they're relatively easy to handle. My MIL has cancer and dementia; she lives on her own, but doesn't drive so daily check-ins do for now (and the spouse takes her to all of her doctor visits). My husband and I both work and, occasionally, it would be nice to have my parents (more like my mother) take the boys so we could have a couple of days to ourselves. We need the break from the boys, from work, and from dealing with my MIL.

I've mentioned to my mom that it would be nice to have a break periodically and she says that no one ever offered to do that for her. This is the same line she gives me about my dad; he never offered to change a diaper or take one of us to the doctor or anything like that. I should be so happy that my husband does all that he does, blah, blah, blah. (Hello, they're his kids too.)

I'm not sure what to think. They're her grandchildren; I thought she would want to spend time with them. It's not like I'm asking for every other weekend or something. Once a year would be great. I even asked for that as a birthday gift and she gave me $50 instead.

This brings me to my poll. Do your parents/in-laws/other relatives take your kids off your hands periodocally so you can have a break? I'm thinking I expect too much out of my mother. She's so much younger than my MIL (about 20 years) so I was hoping she would be more inclined to help us out by giving my husband and I a break. 

Take the poll! Thanks!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:53 AM

My in laws I don't trust with the kids. My parents don't have much of a desire. They're good for about a two hour visit. They never offer to take them. My grandmas would both take me for a few weeks at a time. Different era I guess. 

want10more
by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 4:11 AM

I have 6 kids. 2 w/ behavorial problems. 3 w/ severe health probs. and i don't really feel like i need a break, cuz that's my only job right  now. but i can see why YOU would need a break once in a while. austism, even tho he's a good boy, brings a lotta stressors i'd bet. i guess i just don't feel you are expecting too much out of your mom. MY mom is 72 and takes allllllllllll my kids very very often, even overnight. i don't think MY dad ever maybe changed a diaper, it was a diff time then, but i remember him giving me baths and combing out my hair, so he did do some daddy stuff. and he was very cuddleful. heh. but again? i just don't see you as being unreasonable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)