Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Do Your Parents (or other relatives) Take Your Kids So You Can Have a Break?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do your parents (or in-laws or other relatives) take your kids for a weekend or so from time to time?

Options:

Yes!

No.

I wish they would...

It'll be a cold day in hell before I let them take my kids for any length of time!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 33

View Results

My husband and I have two boys, 2.5 and 6.5. The oldest is autistic, but his personality is pretty laid back, so we're lucky that they're relatively easy to handle. My MIL has cancer and dementia; she lives on her own, but doesn't drive so daily check-ins do for now (and the spouse takes her to all of her doctor visits). My husband and I both work and, occasionally, it would be nice to have my parents (more like my mother) take the boys so we could have a couple of days to ourselves. We need the break from the boys, from work, and from dealing with my MIL.

I've mentioned to my mom that it would be nice to have a break periodically and she says that no one ever offered to do that for her. This is the same line she gives me about my dad; he never offered to change a diaper or take one of us to the doctor or anything like that. I should be so happy that my husband does all that he does, blah, blah, blah. (Hello, they're his kids too.)

I'm not sure what to think. They're her grandchildren; I thought she would want to spend time with them. It's not like I'm asking for every other weekend or something. Once a year would be great. I even asked for that as a birthday gift and she gave me $50 instead.

This brings me to my poll. Do your parents/in-laws/other relatives take your kids off your hands periodocally so you can have a break? I'm thinking I expect too much out of my mother. She's so much younger than my MIL (about 20 years) so I was hoping she would be more inclined to help us out by giving my husband and I a break. 

Take the poll! Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM
Replies (21-24):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Bump for later.....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jun. 9, 2014 at 8:09 AM
No and im a single mom. I havent had one break. No one has ever helped me. And the father is deadbeat. So i see why she says your lucky. Many men do not take care of their children. Some pay cs and that is that. And never do anything with the kid. Mind doesnt even pay child support.
Owensmom1288
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 9:30 AM

If I lived closer then I know my brother and SIL would take my son if we asked for a break or wanted a special weekend or something. I live 400 miles away from them so we don't get the chance to ask. I know my mother would take him also, but there is no way in hell I would leave my son alone with her. She is crazy and an alcoholic, so I don't trust her. I would trust my dad and step mother but they can't due to all of my step-mother's health issues. Plus they are also 400 miles away.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:42 AM

MIL ~ No.

When she comes to visit, if we ask her to watch the kids, 80 - 90% of the time, the answer is No.

Her reason, (she will actually say...) "I didn't come here to be a free baby sitter for you".  On the extremely rare occassion when she has said yes... She has insisted that the kids are fed, bathed and in bed. And she spent the entire time on OUR house phone long distance with her b/f.

When we have been in DH's home town visiting her (and she knew we were coming to visit). We asked her to watch the kids while we went to see some of DH's friends.  We were going to meet in a bar.  Again she said, NO.  Her reason?  She was going to take her boy friend's step grand children (who live less than 20 minutes from them, as opposed to the 17 hour drive we live from them) for the after noon.  And where was the BF?  He was thinking about going fishing, but hadn't decided yet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)