Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

UPDATE: Turned 5 today, still not potty trained

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 160 Replies
I am so sick of fighting him on this! I've been trying for over a year and he is just so stubborn. Doesn't care if he's wet or dirty. Does it at home, sitters, grandparents, everywhere. No way he will be ready to start school in the fall. Gave up and went back to pullups a few weeks ago. I've had it!!

Update: Taking the advice of some of these posts, I took three days off and stayed at home with DS. I put him in underwear, made scheduled potty breaks and made a chart for him. He is doing much better peeing on the potty, we still need to work on the pooping. At least when he poops in his underwear he doesn't just ignore it like when he is in a pull-up. This morning he told me right after he did and we cleaned him up and sat on the potty. I think it's a step in the right direction!
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BellaAngel8707
by New Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:13 AM
You can not give up. How are you going about this?
angelizedsinz
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you talked to his pediatrician? Maybe there's a problem you aren't aware of? I did sticker charts with mine. If he got stickers for all 7 days, he got a treat on the weekend.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Oh yes, I've talked to several drs. Nobody has answers yet

Quoting angelizedsinz: Have you talked to his pediatrician? Maybe there's a problem you aren't aware of? I did sticker charts with mine. If he got stickers for all 7 days, he got a treat on the weekend.
angelizedsinz
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Have you asked him why he doesn't want to go to the bathroom? One of my coworkers had a son who was scared of the toilet because of the sound.

Quoting Anonymous: Oh yes, I've talked to several drs. Nobody has answers yet

Quoting angelizedsinz: Have you talked to his pediatrician? Maybe there's a problem you aren't aware of? I did sticker charts with mine. If he got stickers for all 7 days, he got a treat on the weekend.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this

aww i would see the pediatrician just to get check out. Sound like he is just stubborn. My son been potty trained since he was 2 years old he going to be 4 now and i thank god i dont have to pay for pampers any more. Make potty training fun, get a nice seat maybe a character he like for the toilet. I had a race car seat for my son and i had a large jar of M&M's and every time he peed he received 1 M&M and when he pooped he got 2. I learned this  from that show nanny 911 and it worked great he learned in a week. He love's M&M's loll.  find a candy he likes and every time he uses it give him a treat kids react well with treats.

jackiewal10
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:21 AM

What are you doing to encourage him?  What do you do when he doesn't make it to the toilet?  Is it ALL the time?  Never on the toilet?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:22 AM
You name it. Charts, rewards, timeouts, scolding, grounding. Right now I'm just not showing any emotion. I take him in the bathroom, lie him down and change him. Thinking I'll start over Monday after our trip to my sisters

Quoting BellaAngel8707: You can not give up. How are you going about this?
falloutboy
by New Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
When did you start? My son was potty trained right before he turned three. No pull ups during the day, unless going out. Also please don't punish the poor kid, that's only going to set both of you back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:26 AM
He says he doesn't know. He won't usually tell me when he's wet, half the time he will when he's dirty depending on how bad it is

Quoting angelizedsinz: Have you asked him why he doesn't want to go to the bathroom? One of my coworkers had a son who was scared of the toilet because of the sound.

Quoting Anonymous: Oh yes, I've talked to several drs. Nobody has answers yet

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jun. 13, 2014 at 12:28 AM
Started right after he turned 4, he did really well for about 3 days

Quoting falloutboy: When did you start? My son was potty trained right before he turned three. No pull ups during the day, unless going out. Also please don't punish the poor kid, that's only going to set both of you back.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)