Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Speak up!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM
  • 5 Replies

My dd is seven. We see her great grandparents a few times a year they live out of state. they tend to ask me lots of questions about what's going on with the kids instead of asking them because they don't speak up! I will sit there and tell my dd speak up grandma can't hear. She barely speaks up.  I prod again. Barely louder at all. This kid wakes me with her voice in the morning. Makes me so mad. It's rude. I've told her it's rude. She does this in lots of situations. She isn't stressed or mad. How do I get her to speak up? I used to think it was because of her age but she hasn't grown out of it. Ugggggg! If my dad told me to speak up I would have. She's smart. Almost straight A's. Well behaved.  This just irks me. It feels like she's being stubborn. 

by on Jun. 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Try doing some rehearsals before you get there, she's not that comfortable with them because she doesn't see them much. Talk about how friendly people make everyone around them happier, and that she makes you proud when she speaks up and is friendly. Also a little bribery usually works! Tell her if she has good manners you will take her to get a new little toy or something tommorow. Get some childrens books about manners, look for good reviews on Amazon. When she does right tell her how happy it makes you. Let her hear you brag about her.

ttriddick
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh man do we have the same problem. My son is that way. Loud as mess until I need him to be. I get so frustrated. But, I just keep prodding. My husband says just give him time. He's 9 ffs, but whatever, pick and choose battles I suppose. No advice, just wanted to say I know how you feel.
An0nym0use
by Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Could she be shy? Or clamming up because everyone is yelling at the poor kid to talk louder. She's not intentionally being rude.
katemckenzie
by Banana Hands on Jun. 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Sounds like she's just shy around people she doesn't know well. That's not uncommon for kids, nor is it rude of her. She just feels uncomfortable.
VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM
Who yelled?

Quoting An0nym0use: Could she be shy? Or clamming up because everyone is yelling at the poor kid to talk louder. She's not intentionally being rude.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)