Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

a birthday spanking from a stranger?!?!

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM
  • 35 Replies

A few years ago me and my husband were standing in line to be sat at a restaurant with my 7 year old nephew. There was about 20 of  my husband's family members there as well but we had been separated from the rest of the group. Since me and my husband had only been married a few weeks at that time, I wasn't familiar with many of the family members.

A man standing in line next to my nephew overheard that it was my nephew's birthday that day and he grabbed my nephew and gave him a gruff hard birthday spanking. I laughed it off thinking the man was a family member. I quietly asked my husband who the man was and he shrugged and said he didn't know. WHAT?!?!?!

After the meal me and my husband got into a terrible argument about the incident. I thought it was WILDLY inappropriate for a stranger to give a 7 year old boy a birthday spanking and that he should have punched the man in the face for touching him. My husband's argument was that there's nothing wrong with a stranger giving a kid a birthday spanking, the man was harmless  and that the problem with humanity is that we don't trust each other enough.

With all the pedophiles and creeps out there why take the risk?!?! I lost so much sleep over that situation and as you can see, four years later it still haunts me. We were supposed to protect our nephew and we possibly could have let some pervert get off on spanking him while we stood there and watched.

We told my nephew's stepmother about the situation and she shrugged it off as well. I was the only person bothered by the situating.

How do you feel about this? Would you be freaked out or do you think it's ok for  strangers to "birthday spank" a kid?

EDIT: For those of you unfamiliar with the term - a "birthday spanking" is, simply put, when you spank a child on their birthday. You give them one swat on the botton for each year, and "one to grow on" - an extra swat. It's not uncommon and it's supposed to be funny and harmless; usally done by parents or close family.

by on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ACC1984
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:06 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm with you on that one. That was wildly inappropriate and I would have gone ballistic (if it were my kid and a stranger).
themaurer7
by Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM
With you on this one. Creepy or not peope are not entitled to touch other people's children. Completely wrong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 17, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Uhm.. idk I'd that has ever happened? And I would be weird about it as well
TKKS0286
by New Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 3:21 AM

That is wildly inappropriate and if that was someone trying to do that to my son I would have raised hell! My husband would have probably given that man his own version of a "birthday hit" and I can guarantee that man would not have liked it. I think you are right to have reacted the way you did because unfortnaly we just can not trust strangers. There is no telling if he was getting some kind of sick pleasure from spanking your nephew and you can never be to careful when it comes to children. 

Taylor94
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 7:19 AM

I agree with you. That's creepy. I still remember my kindergarten teacher and she would give some of my classmates birthday spankings. I never really thought about it when I was that little, but now it's just weird. 

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Holy Assault Batman
laparla
by on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:35 PM
It's not appropriate, but reacting to it with violence would've been more inappropriate.
simsgm
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
No one's touching my child
ravenlyn
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 8:41 PM
I agree with you. Your husband needs a reality check. If i would have seen that, but knew it was a stranger, i would have imediatley thought the guy was an out of line pervert, and I would have called him out.
aCafemomma
by Member on Jun. 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't do "birthday spank" My mom held me down as a kid and let everyone who showed up at my party "spank" me.

The other kids did it hard, i would always be in tears before it was over.

It was like being punished for being alive.

No one has ever or will ever give my child a "birthday spank" while I'm around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN