Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

If you wouldn't wait for it, don't use it!

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

So we were at a McDonalds restaurant and my 2 year old soils his diaper.  So we went to change him in the restroom.  I saw a mom and her roughly 7 year old son enter the restroom as we left the play area.

We walk in to discover the only changing table was in the handicap stall.  There were two additional regular stalls available for use.  The 7 year old "had chosen this stall" his mom told me with a blush as she stood outside to give him "his privacy."  The kid took nearly 5 minutes to do his business, make sure he was done with his business, wipe his butt, let his mom check through the crack to see the TP was 'clean,' wash his hands, and dry his hands in the stall.

During this time another lady came in with a walker who needed to use the restroom and clearly could only use the larger stall.  The floor was gross, the sink was soaked (woohoo for paperless bathrooms), and it was the type of diaper that I would need lots of wipes and both hands to clean.

I know there have been tons of posts about the handicap stall, but seriously, if you wouldn't wait in line to use the handicap stall put your ass in a regular stall - even if the handicap is available.  It's rude for people who have to wait and sincerely need the room or the accommodations in the stall to wait for you because you like to do yoga stretches on the toilet (or whatever reason people like that stall).  

by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheCupcakeMom
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I get it is rude when you actually need to use that specific stall.... but how often are those stalls actually neccessary. If I go into a bathroom and there are 3 stalls and the only one available is the handicap one, I will use it. There is no need for me to wait if nobody else who needs to use it is waiting.....

in this case, she was wrong and I would be super annoyed.... but sometimes arguing with your 7 year old about what stall to use isn't worth your time and I would rather piss someone off I do not know and inconvienance them for a minute or two then to spend my time arguing with a kid.

Perstephane92
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll admit I used the handicap stall when I was pregnant - but I would have waited for it. That belly didn't fit anywhere else in places where the stall doors opened in.

Rhodin
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:33 PM
I changed my kids standing at that age. DD4 never liked changing tables and DD2 wanted changed standing just because her sister was (when they still both wore pull ups in public).
sara170
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Me personally will use the handicapped stall if that is the only one available, hell I will use the men's if there is a line for the women's. I figure, why hold it? But, I get it done in a timely manner, no yoga here, lol

Octobersmom
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM
7 moms liked this

Based on your rant the child was in a bathroom with his mother alone when you walked in.  They do not know the future and had no idea that an infant or a woman with a walker would come in.  Get over it.

maureen813
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it concerning that a seven year old child, unless he has developmental disabilities of course, has to be micromanaged like that in a public bathroom. What happens when he is in school, does anyone think that the second grade teacher actually observes him wipe and points out the spots he may have missed, good grief!

ladybug2.0
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 5:41 PM

LOL I got stuck in a stall at Santa Fe Steak House when I was 8 months preggo.  I had to back up while straddling the toilet to get the door to open.  It was a pain! I definitely tried to use the handicap stalls after that!

Quoting Perstephane92:

I'll admit I used the handicap stall when I was pregnant - but I would have waited for it. That belly didn't fit anywhere else in places where the stall doors opened in.

AngryBob
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM
That's what I was thinking, too.
Although at that age, he should be using the men's room. Sheesh, cut the cord already.

Quoting Octobersmom:

Based on your rant the child was in a bathroom with his mother alone when you walked in.  They do not know the future and had no idea that an infant or a woman with a walker would come in.  Get over it.

WildPowerMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Yea, Some bathroom doors barely swing past the toilet.  It's crazy.  I get that there are non medical reasons for the bathroom (like last trimester belly bumps).

Quoting Perstephane92:

WildPowerMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I've changed him standing up too.  I've changed him on the car and on the floor and would have done it on the sink had I had any means to not have him be a soaking mess of dirty hand water.  Plus my car, which is my usual second option, was packed full of stuff so it wasn't feasible to change him. 

This wasn't a wet diaper or a turd diaper, this was a "what the hell did you eat kid and how can you make so much crap" diaper.  Trust me, I had plenty of times to think up other options, but I couldn't see one where I wouldn't be making the already messy diaper worse.

Quoting Rhodin: I changed my kids standing at that age. DD4 never liked changing tables and DD2 wanted changed standing just because her sister was (when they still both wore pull ups in public).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN