Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Who Cares If You and Your Child are Disabled

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM
  • 30 Replies

This happened to me at UNC Hospital.  I really need to vent so figured this was just as good a place as any.  Some will agree some will not.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  It is a little long.

Ok normally I don't complain about these things, I just deal with it and keep going on. But Tuesday UNC Hospital really upset me. I arrived at DD appt. an hour early (thank GOD) because she was seeing a new Dr and I assumed there would be paperwork to fill out. I go to Valet parking because she has equipment and it is way to far for me to push her from the deck because of my knee problems... from my car accident. Plus I have another DD a rambunctious 5 yr old in tow as well. Well I get to Valet and start to get out of the car and tell them to please do not roll my window down. The woman says I can not park your car you need to park in the deck. I said excuse me? She said if there is anything wrong with your car we will not valet it. I said since when she said look you need to park in the deck it's not my problem. So I ask for Mgmts number, of course you know they rushed to get it for me (NOT). Thank goodness I have been coming there since DD was born so I know the main number and call patient relations. Patient relations comes out and after spending 30 min in the hot sun with 2 kids 1 Autistic (who has been attacking us because she was ready to go) I am informed that I can leave my kids with someone at the hospital, park my car and ride the cart down back to the hospital. So let me understand this....you expect me to leave my NON VERBAL 8 yr old autistic daughter and 5 yr old high strung daughter with complete strangers that know absolutely NOTHING about them or their tendencies alone with strangers!!!!!!! I don't think so. So after another 30 minutes waiting in the HOT sun (93degree) a condescending "manager" arrives and informs me that he is going to do me a favor and park my car at the Valet drop off this one time. And I can either accept that or figure out something on my own. Now I have been coming to UNC on a regular basis since DD was 2 because most of her Doctors practice there. And NEVER once have I been told my car had to be in pristine condition to be valet parked. And if I am paying for Valet parking YOU are NOT DOING ME A FAVOR.....YOU ARE PROVIDING A SERVICE THAT I AM PAYING FOR. I asked to see the policy several times and it was never produced. I was told by the high and mighty manager that he had discussed it with the lawyers inside and did not have to park my car even though he was going to as a favor for me. So here is my question to UNC. You in no way have enough adequate parking for handicapped ppl especially since you have decided that your Valet contractor can now discriminate based on a persons income. (I mean how many low to mid income ppl have absolutely NOTHING wrong with their car) when are you going to add additional parking at the hospital for those of us that have children that can not be left at the front door while we park, OR add carts that accommodate handicapped equipment so that the next time I have to bring my child to the hospital for an appt I am not harassed, humiliated, made to suffer in the heat and made to feel that because my child and I are legally handicapped we are less important to you and your staff? There is NO reason I should of had to keep my children out in that heat simply because I asked someone not to roll my window down. What does rolling my window down have to do with parking my car? I had to endure the tantrum of an Autistic child because her schedule was altered over a window. So UNC maybe its not against any law that your lawyers looked up (per your manager) but it sure is not right to treat people the way my daughters and I were treated!!!!!!
by on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
friendlymom5
by Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow that's bs I'm sorry.
MomToNeeners
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 12:29 AM
2 moms liked this

That is BS and I'm sure you can go higher up than that guy. If it was me, I'd be getting the president of the hospital, but i know the president of the hospital where I live....

Jen-Dew
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:27 AM
4 moms liked this
That is total bs. And i have never heard of valet not taking a car because it doesnt look like it just rolled off the lot. I also would speak to some one higher up and get a copy their policies and also tell them that if it is against policy then they need to have more parking accomedations for people with special needs
angelachristine
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 7:31 AM
6 moms liked this
I would go up higher and try and get it taken care of before your next appointment and if they refuse to resolve it i'd contact the local news.
Perstephane92
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I would guess it's some sort of policy to make sure they don't get blamed for cars with damage that was there previously. But even if that is the case, the way you were treated is inexcusable. And if that was the policy, they should have produced it.

STVUstudent
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM
2 moms liked this

When you asked them to not roll down the window, did you tell them that there was something wrong with the window?  It could be a liability issue...  How many unscrupulous people would hand a car over to valet knowing there was something mechanical wrong with it and then try to blame it on the parking people?  happens EVERY day... Car doesn't have to be pristeen, but they may have had a string of issues... still, it sucks that this happens.  They should have a standard damage claim waiver you can sign...

sara170
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Next time don't mention the window. If it is a hand crank, just take it off. If it is a power window, just pull the fuse. Once you get your valet ticket just walk in, the car is their responsibility, if they don't want to park it cause the window don't work then it will just have to stay there till you get back. lol

ladyvamp5489
by on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM

this

Quoting sara170:

Next time don't mention the window. If it is a hand crank, just take it off. If it is a power window, just pull the fuse. Once you get your valet ticket just walk in, the car is their responsibility, if they don't want to park it cause the window don't work then it will just have to stay there till you get back. lol

sara170
by Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Make a complaint to the hospital.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Yikes!  I would have been really, really, pissed!  I think I would have called and cancelled the appointment right there and told the doctor's office why and then gone home and started calling the hospital and filing a complaint.  I've had to take my daughter to a doctor at VCU childrens and I tried to get find off street parking or even parking in the garage and there wasn't any.  I drove around for 45 minutes.  I called and cancelled the appointment.  The next time I parked in valet, no issues and no problems.  So they were super.  

I think I'd be calling a lawyer and look into filling a lawsuit against the hospital and the valet for violating the ADA.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN