Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I hate hearing my LO cry

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM
  • 54 Replies
I'm in the process of sleep training my 6month old son and it just breaks my heart to hear him cry. I did the same thing with my daughter around the same age but I remember it being so much easier. I had to come sit outside so I wouldn't give in. I know it's important for him to learn to self sooth and a few tears are ok but it's so heart wrenching to hear him so upset.
by on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheCupcakeMom
by Member on Jun. 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

it's heartwrenching but you'll be thankful later! hang in there!

Rosehawk
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I was only able to do a full CIO once. It KILLED me to listen to my oldest cry for 3 hours. So, I did my own version.

1) Do your normal bed time routine and put him to bed drowsy.
2) Wait five minutes. If he's quite, great. If he's fussing let him fuss for another 5 minutes. If he's screaming mad, go in and comfort.
3) Repeat step two as often as needed.
4) If at any time the noises he's making change from protest to mad or scared, throw all steps out the window and go in and comfort your baby immedaitely.

The above steps worked well for my family and my kids. The older two are now 10 and 7 and sleep well and have from a young age. My baby is 4 weeks old and I'll be doing the same with her when she's at least 6 months old. 

Jazzydkatz
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I usually go in every 10 15 mins and pat his tummy and sing to him for 2 minutes then walk out again. Last night he was so upset I picked him up to burp him. All that crying he sucked in a bit of air. I ended up giving him anothe bottle because he had Been crying for 2 hours and put him back down awake with out a fuss. He was sleeping in 2 minutes and slept through the night! It was amazing to have uninterrupted sleep for the first time in 6 months lol!!
VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM
3 moms liked this
He's too young it's cruel he needs his emotional needs met. When he cries he wants you he's a baby not a toddler
VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Seriously he cried for two hours?

Quoting Jazzydkatz: Yeah I usually go in every 10 15 mins and pat his tummy and sing to him for 2 minutes then walk out again. Last night he was so upset I picked him up to burp him. All that crying he sucked in a bit of air. I ended up giving him anothe bottle because he had Been crying for 2 hours and put him back down awake with out a fuss. He was sleeping in 2 minutes and slept through the night! It was amazing to have uninterrupted sleep for the first time in 6 months lol!!
Luke8212013
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, way too long! Rock him, cuddle him! He needs you...

Quoting VinVanMom: Seriously he cried for two hours?
Quoting Jazzydkatz: Yeah I usually go in every 10 15 mins and pat his tummy and sing to him for 2 minutes then walk out again. Last night he was so upset I picked him up to burp him. All that crying he sucked in a bit of air. I ended up giving him anothe bottle because he had Been crying for 2 hours and put him back down awake with out a fuss. He was sleeping in 2 minutes and slept through the night! It was amazing to have uninterrupted sleep for the first time in 6 months lol!!

Luke8212013
by Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM

And if you are doing CIO out method, letting him cry for two hours means your not doing it properly anyway. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't believe babies need "training" to learn how to sleep. What they need is a mother who is attentive to their needs, then they won't cry so much and long. I never trained any if mine and they were all sleeping very well by six months. I think all you train babies to understand when you do this is that you won't respond to their distress. I think it's very stressful for them.
JTE11
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Aw, I feel for you. My DD never slept unless she was nursing and I couldn't put her down. I tried sleep training several times and just learned that babies need what they need, until they don't need it anymore and if a baby is crying he needs you and so we should just respond. They grow up quickly enough, the day will come when he doesn't need you so much to go to sleep bur for now it's better to just comfort him if that's what he needs. I went without a whole lot of sleep for a loong time, but DD was happier (even though I was a wreck). I hope you can find a happy medium and you both find a way to get some sleep without having to put you both through emotional turmoil.

KRIZZ25
by on Jun. 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM
2 moms liked this
when i had my first child..i thought my job was to keep her quiet ..than i realized babies cry,it,s their job.i cant stop it ..so just go with it..it will get much better.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)