Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Camp for the summer=crappy mom

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies
My SIL. She doesn 't work and they (my in laws) have plenty of money and could plan family trips/experiences/ fun summer memories together but each summer when school gets out she ships her kids (8 & 11) off to camp for 5 weeks every single summer (since the oldest was 7, the youngest has gone the past 2 years). Thats the majority of their summer spent away from their parents ( who go on vacations), I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Before they know it those kids will be off to college, out of the house and those precious years of childhood were wasted at some camp. It just irritates me because shes always bragging about what an involved parent she us..yea, right. Its almost like shes afraid to spend time with her kids.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amber0427
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 5:59 PM
My nephew goes to a different camp every week. Baseball camp, the ice skating rink, Sea World, you name it. His mom is a wonderful mother and Very involved in his life and activities. I'm sure the situation you are upset about is a little different, but for my nephew- it makes him happy. He loves the different places and activities. He loves hanging out with kids his age and having fun.

I don't think it makes then bad parents, but every situation is different.
JTE11
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:10 PM
2 moms liked this

If she's truly trying to avoid being with her kids then that is sad, but some kids just like to go to camp. If the kids are having a blast at camp then I wouldn't worry. If the kids are crying to come home and begging to spend time with her and she still shipping them off every time then there's a problem. I would need to know more before I could decide if it's a bad thing or not. I was a little surprised to hear it was for five weeks- I've never heard of camp being for so long. Here the different camps go a week or two at the longest. But if they're all Ok with it maybe it's not terrible.

rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:26 PM
8 moms liked this

You're kind of an asshole. Who cares what she does or how she parents her children? If the kids are happy, there's no reason for you to judge her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:38 PM
This forum is for venting, asshole. That's what I'm doing. When I asked my nephew last week if he's looking forward to camp he shrugged his shoulders. Meanwhile, my SIL is going to Bermuda for 2 weeks. Yea, shes mother of the year material.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

You're kind of an asshole. Who cares what she does or how she parents her children? If the kids are happy, there's no reason for you to judge her.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:44 PM
She parents differently from you. Move on. Get over it. A child going to camp certainly does NOT make you a bad mother.

Quoting Anonymous: This forum is for venting, asshole. That's what I'm doing. When I asked my nephew last week if he's looking forward to camp he shrugged his shoulders. Meanwhile, my SIL is going to Bermuda for 2 weeks. Yea, shes mother of the year material.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Can I ask you if you 'd send your children away for practically the whole summer every summer?

Quoting Anonymous: She parents differently from you. Move on. Get over it. A child going to camp certainly does NOT make you a bad mother.

Quoting Anonymous: This forum is for venting, asshole. That's what I'm doing. When I asked my nephew last week if he's looking forward to camp he shrugged his shoulders. Meanwhile, my SIL is going to Bermuda for 2 weeks. Yea, shes mother of the year material.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM

5 weeks does NOT = full summer.  Just sayin'.

Quoting Anonymous: Can I ask you if you 'd send your children away for practically the whole summer every summer?
Quoting Anonymous: She parents differently from you. Move on. Get over it. A child going to camp certainly does NOT make you a bad mother.
Quoting rockinmomto2:

rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:52 PM

And? How she parents her child is none of your business. That's HER child. Maybe he's not excited. And? So what? Sometimes my kids aren't excited about going to the beach. Does that mean they're going to enjoy it any less once they get there? No.

Now, would I ever, personally, send my child away for 5 weeks? No. Not unless they begged and begged and begged and it was for something super specific. But I'm also in no place to judge what others do. Maybe, during the school year, she IS super involved. Who are you to say different?

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Bookwormy
by Member on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM
5 weeks is long for sleep away camp. But sleep away camp is a great experience! 3-4 weeks is great, depending on age, & i think it is positive parenting to teach independence. Jewish sleep away camp is vital IMO for Jewish kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM
Thats what I 'm saying though. I bet if I surveyed all the moms on this forum if they would send their kids away to camp for 5 straight weeks (2 1/2 hours away) every summer without fail, close to 90% would say NO! I think its lousy.

Quoting rockinmomto2:

And? How she parents her child is none of your business. That's HER child. Maybe he's not excited. And? So what? Sometimes my kids aren't excited about going to the beach. Does that mean they're going to enjoy it any less once they get there? No.

Now, would I ever, personally, send my child away for 5 weeks? No. Not unless they begged and begged and begged and it was for something super specific. But I'm also in no place to judge what others do. Maybe, during the school year, she IS super involved. Who are you to say different?

Quoting rockinmomto2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)