Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

MIL favors skids over our other kids

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:43 AM
  • 18 Replies
My MIL favors my skids over my bkids. She will only offer to take skids for sleep overs and she'll buy stuff for them. She raises 3 of DH's nieces and nephews and they are starting to do the same thing. My DH finally recognized but is afraid to put his foot down. I don't blame him from some of his stories growing up but I don't know what to do. Any suggestions?
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bailey1116
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Are your bio kids her bio grandkids?
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:35 AM
Are they her bio grandchildren? If not then I don't really see the issue. My family did the same but it was more like a don't want to overstep boundaries kinda deal.
Heaven127
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:55 PM

ages of kids?

how long have you been a blended family?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM
Hate that.

My MiL pulls the same garbage, even though my and dh's kids outnumber my 1 stepkid and our second child is the only girl! MiLs first and only granddaughter. Her favortism is very obvious and I hate it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM
Quoting lilmama8408: Are they her bio grandchildren? If not then I don't really see the issue. My family did the same but it was more like a don't want to overstep boundaries kinda deal.

My mother considers my stepkid as her grandchild (even if sometimes I secretly wish my mother would focus more on my actual children.) She does not care at all that he is her "step grandchild."
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM
Mil use to favor ss over mine and dhs other kids. I asked her why she did it and she said she didn't realize she was. Dh and ss lived with her after him and his ex split and mil helped a lot with ss while dh worked and went school. She said she guesses it was over compensating for BM not being in the picture. After we had a talk about it there hasn't been a problem since
Maevelyn
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:02 PM

He will damage them if he doesn't put his foot down. His relationship with his mother isn't worth the relationship with his kids. Together, you, DH, Skids bkids are a family none of you need her. 

mbaum
by New Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM

My husband and I have been married for nearly 4 years. My sd is 7 and ss is 5. My oldest bd is 2 and the youngest is 10 months old. So yes bkids are MIL bgrandkids.

CMay2CK
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Maybe she is trying to make sure she includes the skids but has taken it too far and doesn't realize she is ignoring the bkids. Could have started out as her trying to be nice. Talk to her.

Quoting mbaum:

My husband and I have been married for nearly 4 years. My sd is 7 and ss is 5. My oldest bd is 2 and the youngest is 10 months old. So yes bkids are MIL bgrandkids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 25, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Quoting mbaum:

Perhaps she can just handle older kids vs your young ones.  Besides your young ones aren't potty trained and why on earth would you want to be away from your little ones?   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN