Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

We're not a flea market or road side stand!!! Don't come in my business and try to haggle my prices!!!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

I just spent 30 minutes with this lady ... we had some small talk about items in the store. She goes on to how she wants to send flowers or a plant to a friend in the hospital I took her over to where we have arrangments premade in our two coolers and then over to our few blooming plants we have and then the rest of the plants. She kept complaining on the prices and she proceeds to say "This large one is $XX.xx, can you sell it for $XX.xx like the small one is priced?" I kindly tell her no, the prices are as marked and I can not go any lower than that. She does this to half a dozen items and huffs and puffs when I tell her no, no no no no no! I told her our prices on this and that and whatever and that is what it is. Oh, well, she found this for that and blah blah on the website. I asked if she found the price on ours or the wire service website that we use ... oh of course it was ours that's why she was here ... so I pulled it up ...... NOPE!!! (I know the prices ... I had to put them on there! I just had to show her that she was wrong without actually saying so.) So she huffed and puffed some more, "Are you sure?", "Well why not" .... I was seconds from kicking her out of my store. This isn't a ritzy high class place, but it sure as hell isn't a damn flea market!!! I mean seriously!! And then to come in twenty minutes before I have to close!! AHHHH!!!!!! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

by on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Did she buy anything?
Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM
Nope! If she was haggling $5 max, I would have OK'd it, but she was talking about $30+!!!

Quoting Anonymous: Did she buy anything?
Adnalor
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 5:38 PM
3 moms liked this
Sounds like someone from that extreme cheapskate show!
Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Right!! I was biting my tongue and remained as polite as I could. If it was only a few dollars I wouldn't have been so annoyed. A sale is a sale there, but not the prices she was asking for.

Quoting Adnalor: Sounds like someone from that extreme cheapskate show!
Adnalor
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It's just rude! If she can't afford it, she should go where she can! I'd be annoyed too!

Quoting Garnet_Iris11: Right!! I was biting my tongue and remained as polite as I could. If it was only a few dollars I wouldn't have been so annoyed. A sale is a sale there, but not the prices she was asking for.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Everything is negotiable.  She asked.  You said "no".  Simple as that.  But, many places WILL negotiate.  One never knows till they ask.

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Exactly!! I even gave her options of local stores that would better fit her.... taste.

Quoting Adnalor: It's just rude! If she can't afford it, she should go where she can! I'd be annoyed too!

Quoting Garnet_Iris11: Right!! I was biting my tongue and remained as polite as I could. If it was only a few dollars I wouldn't have been so annoyed. A sale is a sale there, but not the prices she was asking for.

Garnet_Iris11
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:31 PM
1 mom liked this
She was very bold about it... it was $30+ difference on what she wanted. I would never ask for something with such a large difference.

Quoting Anonymous:

Everything is negotiable.  She asked.  You said "no".  Simple as that.  But, many places WILL negotiate.  One never knows till they ask.

lapcounter
by Member on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:33 PM
It is not rude at all, it's smart. We were in a large western store this weekend and a lady said I will pay cash if you take this amount for an item and they did it. Never hurts to ask

Quoting Adnalor: It's just rude! If she can't afford it, she should go where she can! I'd be annoyed too!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jul. 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Then you will always pay more for things than I do.  Guess there's a good reason why I am set for life financially and was able to retire at 45.  As I said, everything is negotiable.  I rarely pay full price for anything.

Quoting Garnet_Iris11: She was very bold about it... it was $30+ difference on what she wanted. I would never ask for something with such a large difference.
Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)