Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Summer Childcare *Long*

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 17 Replies

DH and I both work full time. I work 6a-2p Tuesday-Friday, 7a-3p Saturday. DH works 8a-5p Monday through Friday.

When I went back to work about a year ago, we had the mom of a little boy in DD#1's pre-k class watch the younger two when DH and I were both at work. That worked pretty well for a while. Then my grandma came to visit and watchted them for several months. The day that the first lady was supposed to start watching them again. I got a text, less than an hour before he was to drop them off, that she was sick and not able to watch the kids. DH called off of work, because we didn't have back up care.

We found someone to start watching them before the end of the week. She watched them for about 2 months, and then we had issues with the kids getting a little sick and missing a day or 2, not in a row, and her not wanting to credit us the days she didn't watch them. We also had an issue with her sending a text at almost 10pm Thursday night about not being able to watch the kids due to a family emergency. DH called off that day too. She refused to credit us that day, even though it was her fault/family that she couldn't watch the kids. I refused to use her after that, because the contact she came up with was more benefitial to her than it was to us. And she cocked a rather large attitude about it.

We switched back to the first one for a couple of weeks, but her daughter moved back in, and she had a TON of DR appointments(unmedicated bipolar). She wasn't able to take the kids with her. We found someone else who seemed like an answer to prayer and we saw eye to eye on everything. Then on June 17th, she tells DH that she is taking off June 30-July 7th as vacation. We took it in stride and tried to find someone to watch all 3 kids.

We were also trying to get me a Saturday off work, so we could take the girls to meet my mom(1/2 way between houses) so she could watch them for 3 weeks and give me a break(clinical depression diagnosis and not on meds at this time). In the meantime, she mentions the Monday before she is supposed to go on vacation about a deposit to hold the girls' spots. I have no problem with that, until she starts mentioning a deposit for all 3 for the week SHE is on vacation. She wanted a full week's pay as a deposit to hold their spots while SHE is on vacation. I said I have no problem paying the girls' deposit while they are gone and she is watching DS, but not before that. We decided to part ways at that point in time. 

I was able to get a spot for DS at the daycare he is going to be in in the fall, and I want to keep him there. The only proplem is that there is no opening for DD#2.We would have to find a 2nd place for at least her, maybe DD#1 as well. DH however doesn't want them at 2 different places. He wants them all at the same place as a matter of drop off convenience for him, as traffic in our area gets SH*TTY after 7am.

We are picking up the girls (1/2 way again) on Saturday. I am watching them most of Monday, until my dr appointment, and then DH is getting off early to watch them. He is taking off that week from work, so we can get them back on regular schedule. He wants to have the vacation deposit watch them again(she has already agreed). But I don't want to switch DS. He is where he is going to be in the fall, if I am able to keep working, and I don't want to get him all confused. The girls would only be there until school starts, but it is possible if DD#2 can't get into preschool, that she can go to the daycare that DS is in.

Suggestions please? 

*Nifty! I got featured!*

by on Jul. 15, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Care.com

Make your own contract and see what it is you're willing to do/put up with.

Most daycares around here won't credit you days when your kids are the ones who are sick.  And in home ones don't usually either.  The only thing they might be willing to do is credit you if they are on vacation.  As for the deposits to keep their spots, will it go toward the daycare costs after she gets back, or are you just paying her for nothing? 

I would keep your ds where he's at.

teaandcookies
by Katherine on Jul. 15, 2014 at 5:28 PM

ummmmmmm, as a daycare provider, I would drop you like a hot potatoe.  You sound like horrible parents to have, and would suggest quitting your job, due to you wacko expectitations.

1- it does not matter if she was on vaccation, if you want the spot held, you pay the deposit.  I also charge the first two weeks up front, for each child.

2 - where is her contract?  I have an 18 page contract and if any parent screws with it, or does not follow it to the tee they are out.

3 - why the hell would she credit a cent?  I am paid for all days that children are BOOKED for care.  I am also paid for 10 sick days, vaccay days, all stats, and 4 personal days.

You need to sit down and seriously think about who you want watching your kids, and treat them with respect and courtisy.  How would you like it if your boss showed up at work and treated you like this?

trish2tew
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:00 PM
The deposit was just to hold their spot. Not to go towards when she/they get back.
Quoting Anonymous:

Care.com

Most daycares around here won't credit you days when your kids are the ones who are sick.  And in home ones don't usually either.  The only thing they might be willing to do is credit you if they are on vacation.  As for the deposits to keep their spots, will it go toward the daycare costs after she gets back, or are you just paying her for nothing? 

trish2tew
by Member on Jul. 15, 2014 at 6:09 PM
This was the first time we have had to use a daycare or someone who makes a living from watching kids. I honestly didn't know that's how it was going to be. If I had any inkling, I would have waited until they were all in school to go back to work. She NEVER mentioned any vacation until maybe a week or so before she was going. The only deposit mentioned was for DD#1, as she was still in school at that time. She had no actual contract, only the general paperwork/application the state has. We had the days/hours/price written down, and that was it other than our information.
Quoting teaandcookies:

ummmmmmm, as a daycare provider, I would drop you like a hot potatoe.  You sound like horrible parents to have, and would suggest quitting your job, due to you wacko expectitations.

1- it does not matter if she was on vaccation, if you want the spot held, you pay the deposit.  I also charge the first two weeks up front, for each child.

2 - where is her contract?  I have an 18 page contract and if any parent screws with it, or does not follow it to the tee they are out.

3 - why the hell would she credit a cent?  I am paid for all days that children are BOOKED for care.  I am also paid for 10 sick days, vaccay days, all stats, and 4 personal days.

You need to sit down and seriously think about who you want watching your kids, and treat them with respect and courtisy.  How would you like it if your boss showed up at work and treated you like this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Personally I think that's bs, but stuff like this is the reason I am staying home til all mine are in school all day.  Good luck mama.

Quoting trish2tew: The deposit was just to hold their spot. Not to go towards when she/they get back.
Quoting Anonymous:

Care.com

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 15, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Wow, that's a lot of chaos for all of you.  I'm a sahm (wahm) and I always wonder how working parents swing it. Some parents have made it sound really simple-- just drop them at the nearest childcare center (and we live in a major city so there are lots) but it seems like it can't always be that easy, especially once kids start school and have different needs during school vs summer, etc.   I don't know what the cost difference would be between a center-type daycare vs in-home daycare vs sitter, but it seems like a sitter might make sense for the summer.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about 2 different drop offs either.  The kids probably have more fun with others but as a stop-gap, it could be good.  And some sitters are amazing.  Perhaps one home from college for the summer?  That's where I'd look.

trish2tew
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 7:19 AM

The closest childcare center is the one that DS is at. The cost between most places is similar, although the ones that are "higher quality" like Montessori or whatever are quite a bit more.

We put an ad out for a sitter, but everyone either didn't show, acted flakey in one way or another, or we got BAD vibes from.

We asked friends, and only 1 was "able" to watch them. She would either need a ride(no car or bus) or DH would need to drop the kids off at her (parent's) house. Dropping the kids off at their house is NOT an option, due to them having some cleanliness issues. I mean serious cluttering, borderline hoarding.

Quoting Anonymous:

Wow, that's a lot of chaos for all of you.  I'm a sahm (wahm) and I always wonder how working parents swing it. Some parents have made it sound really simple-- just drop them at the nearest childcare center (and we live in a major city so there are lots) but it seems like it can't always be that easy, especially once kids start school and have different needs during school vs summer, etc.   I don't know what the cost difference would be between a center-type daycare vs in-home daycare vs sitter, but it seems like a sitter might make sense for the summer.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about 2 different drop offs either.  The kids probably have more fun with others but as a stop-gap, it could be good.  And some sitters are amazing.  Perhaps one home from college for the summer?  That's where I'd look.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I would keep trying to get someone to come to your home and watch them, possibly a grandma who has some time on her hands, that worked out well for us. I would tell all my family and friends and facebook friends that you are looking, use your network. If you belong to a church put an ad in the newsletter.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Do you have a childcare office. They often have lists of childcare in the area.They sometimes have a database on the website. I found mine of their website and she is amazing. Already checked with the county and highly recommended.

But the problem is when her DH had a medical emergency I didnt find out till right before I got there. I had to go home because I use the bus and there was no way of knowing if I could make it somewhere else then go to work. For the half week she took of I had to pay 150 for 3 days and a full week of childcare.

I understand this is her livelihood but it sometimes sucks for me.

scrapbookkitty
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I'm sorry... but how is your time more valuable? It is simple... the day care is a business and they need to have assurance so they can do this crazy thing as BUDGET! Also why can't they have paid vacation... they are doing one of the toughest jobs out there... watching kids and dealing with PARENTS like you. I'm sure that stuff like my kids will be going to visit grandma for 2 weeks and then they will return... but wait... they don't return and they turned kids away because they thought kids w grandma were coming back... so please take a step back and think!! I did day care for 15 yrs and I stopped because I couldn't handle parents like you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN