Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Birthday party etiquette. Is this okay to you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 108 Replies

I would love your opinion. We're planning a birthday party for our 5 year old at one of those indoor bounce house places. Party is from noon to 3:00.
We have about 17 kids coming, none are over the age of 8. We have had a couple of  parents say they were coming and were excited about the chance to go have a lunch "date" with each other while leaving their kids at the party. The 2 couples that have said this did not ask if we minded watching their kids. One couple has 2 kids coming ages 6 & 8.The other couple has 2 kids ages 6 & 4....do you think this is out of line to:

1: Just leave your kids unattended at the party 
2: If you are doing so, to assume that we are going to watch their kids for 2 hours

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM
My DD's party she's 7 everyone left their kids. I figure it's my responsibility to watch over them
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 16, 2014 at 12:21 PM
15 moms liked this

Um, if you throw a party, you should EXPECT people to drop their kids off and leave.  Yes, you are expected to watch kids at a party.  Have the grandparents come with if you need extra eyes/help.  Plus, at a place like that, the staff is typically watching/monitoring.  I find it odd that you expected parents to stay.

Canadiana
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:33 PM

I don't know... I hate to pick some arbitrary age, but under a certain age, no, parents absolutely should not just be dropping kids off and expecting the hostess to care for their children.  Where I come from one or 2 parents do that if they have errands to run, the other parents stay with their kids, and hang with the adults.  Of course if we are talking over 8 or so, then it's a different story.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM

you invited their kid, not them.  get used to it if you are going to invite your kids friends to her birthday parties.  also expect other parents who bring the kids siblins, thats happened too.

ladybug2.0
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Until I my daughter is old enough (7 or 8) I wouldn't just drop her at a party and leave.  Even then I would ask the people putting on the party.  I think it's rude to do so otherwise.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:05 PM

5 and under parents stick around.  Older than that, most leave.  At least that's the status quo around here.  I don't mind it.  I simply ask for the help of a relative or friend in watching the group.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:06 PM

As a side note:  Are these all your child's friends?  The age range seems a bit stretched spanning a 4 year range at least.  What's an 8 year old doing at a 5 year old's party, anyways?

CrystleCorry
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM

My Oldest is just getting to the age of drop off parties. And the first one, the parents had to tell me It was ok to leave her there, I was the ONLY parent who stayed, some didnt even come in to meet the parents of the party, just dropped kids off and ran for the hills. I would NEVER just assume i can drop my kid off at a party. I also dont think parents should just assume its a drop off party. At least act like youre concerned as to where you leave your kid, ask questions, get to know a parent before you just leave your kids in thier hands. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I would love your opinion. We're planning a birthday party for our 5 year old at one of those indoor bounce house places. Party is from noon to 3:00.
We have about 17 kids coming, none are over the age of 8. We have had a couple of  parents say they were coming and were excited about the chance to go have a lunch "date" with each other while leaving their kids at the party. The 2 couples that have said this did not ask if we minded watching their kids. One couple has 2 kids coming ages 6 & 8.The other couple has 2 kids ages 6 & 4....do you think this is out of line to:

1: Just leave your kids unattended at the party 
2: If you are doing so, to assume that we are going to watch their kids for 2 hours

FloBot
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe, just from a point of view of manners, you should ask before dropping your kids off at a party and then leaving. Is it to be expected? Sure, I don't think it's crazy to think that you can drop off your kids at a birthday party and not having to attend yourself, but at least ASK if the hosting parent minds! (and also just from a safety point of view, wouldn't you want to make sure that your kids will be well supervised?). 

So many things can just be avoided if you adhere to manners and good communication! 

KenneMaw
by Member on Jul. 16, 2014 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Check with the bounce house - with kids that young, they may require the parents to be onsite.   They should all have to sign a waiver before their kids can jump.   

I don't hink I left my DD at a party until she was 7 and then it was at a friend's house.  I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a small child on their own at a public place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN