Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

DON'T EVEN SUGGEST IT....!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

I hate it - absolutely HATE it - when someone posts a problem looking for advice or even perspective and a first response by someone is "get counselling".

Why do I hate it? Oh, let me count the ways!

First of all, if counselling were something this person was comfortable with, they'd be doing it and not bothering in CM.

Second, some counsellors really suck...been there, had that.

Third, counsellors cost money and how much depends on your health insurance, if it covers it.

Fourth - and mostly why - is that suggesting counselling is just a cop-out. If you don't have any good advice, or a helpful comment, then leave the page.

Now, some people might need a little push to GET counselling, you may think. Personally, I think most counsellors are very ineffective. The most effective ones are the ones that let you ramble and don't talk. IN that case, you solve your own problems by thinking it through. If you can do that to a guy or gal sitting across from you with a pad of paper and pen, acting like they're listening - then you can get the same self-help affect by writing on CM. Or in a journal. Or talking to a best friend, for that matter.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 18, 2014 at 2:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
lulalacroix
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:14 AM

Lol.  I totally agree.

There's so many times when a person just needs a bit of good advice and not necessarily a counselor.  

Zazayam
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Lol, I'm guilty of this. I've had great experiences with counselling though, and there are a lot of free programs in my area. I'm much more likely to suggest couple's counselling though, I don't know if that's part of what you're talking about or not.

runningbear123
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 3:21 AM

I think sometimes people need counseling.  I don't find it stupid at all if that is truely what you think is needed.

Canadiana
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 7:01 AM

I think you could really benefit from couselling ;)

Quoting Anonymous:

I hate it - absolutely HATE it - when someone posts a problem looking for advice or even perspective and a first response by someone is "get counselling".

Why do I hate it? Oh, let me count the ways!

First of all, if counselling were something this person was comfortable with, they'd be doing it and not bothering in CM.

Second, some counsellors really suck...been there, had that.

Third, counsellors cost money and how much depends on your health insurance, if it covers it.

Fourth - and mostly why - is that suggesting counselling is just a cop-out. If you don't have any good advice, or a helpful comment, then leave the page.

Now, some people might need a little push to GET counselling, you may think. Personally, I think most counsellors are very ineffective. The most effective ones are the ones that let you ramble and don't talk. IN that case, you solve your own problems by thinking it through. If you can do that to a guy or gal sitting across from you with a pad of paper and pen, acting like they're listening - then you can get the same self-help affect by writing on CM. Or in a journal. Or talking to a best friend, for that matter.

KRhyMama2013
by on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I totally understand, this site states that it is "a community where moms come together to get advice and support on topics like pregnancy, health, fashion, food, entertainment, and more."  Not where you go to get berated, and told you need to seek professional help.  People hide behind that 'Anonymous' button so they can be extra rude to people who are genuinely looking for advice or other parents experiences.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN