Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Was I wrong or was she just an old bitty b**** (edited due to typos)

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM
  • 41 Replies

Ok this is a vent because I am ticked but also a real question.

Ok I get FS for my family. I not only shop smart but healthy too. That is possible if you do it right. I ususally even have a few bucks still on my card at the end of the month. Well this month was no different, except my husband made Student of the module (The sessions are called modules in his online school. He is going for medical billing and coding as am I and I work part-time). All the jobs he has applied for want him for 3rd shift and his classes are online but they are live so it's not one of those online schools like mine, where he can just hop on whenever he feels like it. He has to be in class from 830pm-130 am monday thru friday. We plan to get off FS, medicaid, and section 8 (which he gets through the VA) once we start working in our field It's a high demand field and good starting pay too. He graduates in October and I graduate in January.

He found out Friday. We still had food when we got our fs on the 10th so I didn't go shopping until today. He was super excited about it and I was excited for him. So after I bought enough food, and stuff we had run out of. I decided a small splurge for his achievment would be awesome.  I have done it before for my daughter when she made honor roll last year. Well what I bought was at the top of my cart and a lady in line just had to say something. 

I bought steak (A package of 3 that costed $10.46 not the packages of one that cost $14 each our little one is still on softer foods so 3 is fine for our family). The applewood idahoan potatoes (the flakes), a can of bushes grillin beans steak house recipe, a bag of that jack daniels marinade stuff corn on the cobb (those little frozen ones) and we always have a salad before dinner. I also bough the martinelli's sparkling apple cider (non-alcholic plus I got 2 only becuase they were buy one get on free) and of course a blue symphony candy bar for him So I spent $25 on big dinner for 3 people and a candy bar.

Yes there were few other goodies in there for our kids but mosly heathly stuff and reall food. I didn't pack my cart up with lobster, t-bones, ribs, and names brand stuff that tastes just as good  being a store brand, and soda and chip and junk. That is not me. I buygood healthy food first and a few goodies later if we can afford it but i don't go haywire on sugar.

Plus I was thirsty on the way to the checkout so I grabbed a Pepsi from the cooler at the line. I handed my kroger card and my paper coupons to the checker and when I pulled out my foodstamps card for the food items the lady behind me went off. telling me I was horrible to be buying steak and a cart full of junkfood and soda with taxpayer's money. That I should get off my lazy ass and get a job.

Lazy? Junk food? I hardly think a box of hugs barrels (kids Juices) one pack of cookies, a box of fruit snacks 2 2liter's of cola(BIG K brand), the apple cider, symphony bar and a 20 ounce of pepsi counts as a cart full. I had over half of my fs left and cash was out of my pocket not welfare we don't get cash aid.
I told her she need to mind her own business and stay the hell out of my face. She has no idea what my situation is. I don't have a cart load of junk, I do work. My cart is my busness not hers.

It really pissed me off. Was I wrong to splurge a little, and am I wrong to get a few goodies for my family as long as they get 3 healthy meals a day and most of their small snacks are heathly? I doubt a few cookies or a little soda in the month is a heinous crime. Besides my daughter's don't drink dark soda (1 year old doesn't drink any soda)

by on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope you weren't wrong.  I would have told her the same.

rockinmomto2
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:18 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't believe that someone actually said that to you. Here, the SNAP card is also for child support payments, so you never know why the person has the card. I would have said the same, and I would have done the same. 

maureen813
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM
I feel like you srenlooking for validation from strangers. Instead, you need to understand that you are temporarily needing a little help from our government to feed your family, not forever, just until your in a more stable economic situation. You need to be sufficiently prepared and rehearsed to respond to an intrusive, ignorant by stander by saying, " excuse me but you know nothing of my or my families lives or finances so please stop trying to shame and humiliate me and mind your own business or I will address this with the manager of this fine store as I am a customer just like you and I refuse to be harassed when I shop". How is that? you must find your voice and become assertive yet remain dignified.
Jannarella
by Member on Jul. 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Unfortunatly most managers won't do anything unless the person doing the harrassing is employed by them.

Quoting maureen813: I feel like you srenlooking for validation from strangers. Instead, you need to understand that you are temporarily needing a little help from our government to feed your family, not forever, just until your in a more stable economic situation. You need to be sufficiently prepared and rehearsed to respond to an intrusive, ignorant by stander by saying, " excuse me but you know nothing of my or my families lives or finances so please stop trying to shame and humiliate me and mind your own business or I will address this with the manager of this fine store as I am a customer just like you and I refuse to be harassed when I shop". How is that? you must find your voice and become assertive yet remain dignified.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
It didn't happen. Total fabrication. I doubt you even have a husband.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:00 AM
It didn't happen. Total fabrication. I doubt you even have a husband.
Jannarella
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:08 AM

Yeah I fabricate stuff but you don't have the balls to post without using anon. Nice troll. Dipshit

have a nice day

Quoting Anonymous: It didn't happen. Total fabrication. I doubt you even have a husband.

connie45
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM
You don't owe anyone an explanation. A well spoken "Bite me." should suffice.
d_k_w
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Ugh i hate people like that. I had some smart ass bitch trying to talk shit to me i was 8 months pregnant and using a fs card. What her dumb ass didn't know is i support all 3 of my kids with no fs i was actually shopping for a disabled friend who cant really leave the house to shop do to her health. Just ignore them you were not going anything wrong and enjoy your steak and Pepsi.
misskiss21
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 12:09 PM

I can't believe someone who actually say that. I see people w/ FS cards all the time and never think to comment. If I over heard it or if I had FS and someone said that holy hell I'd be in jail. What did you say??? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)