Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Retail Service Persons, STOP IT!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

What IS it with retail workers? If you are one, please don't do THIS....

Don't assume my financial status / economic class by what my kids and/or I am wearing!

I'm college educated. I'm well read. Also considerably educated. I come from a middle class family of some means. Granted, nobody should be discriminated against, but because I'm different than is being assumed, I notice what you're doing.

What you're doing is immediately directing me towards "clearance", and what's on sale. Please inform me of where things are or what's on sale, but don't nudge me toward those things because I'm dressed down today and you think that's all I can afford. Maybe, depending on your store, I can't afford to buy there often...but some things I choose to prioritize in terms of quality and price, and it is none of your business!

Don't tell me what I'm looking at is too expensive for me by saying, "Well these are X amount of dollars, but over here is something that is less than X". Just let me look at things and prices myself.

My parents were somewhat wealthy in old age, and they still refused to buy cable tv, air conditioning and a microwave. My mother didn't wear expensive clothes. When you look at somebody, you don't really know what you're looking at.

I've also walked into furniture stores or any place where a salesman might make a commision off of me, and if the store is busy, the salespeople will ignore me completely in lieu of somebody whose younger than me but better dressed...who I probably have more money than! You idiots, you lost a sale!

I hate being classified.

And I know it's happening to other people. You are treating people like poop. Whether they have money or not, you should treat them all with dignity and they will buy what they want and what they can afford. You'd be better off for yourself anyway, treating everyone like they could afford the most expensive things...that will make them feel good and want to buy something from you.

It's not simply that you're informing me of the sales....it's that look and attitude of condescension...like the waitress eager for her gratuities who looks over at your table with the three kids and assumes the kids will throw food all over and you'll leave her nothing....I know, because I waitressed much while in college. They will grumble and assume the table's a lost cause, and some will not be as attentive or friendly because of it.

Please, treat all with dignity and respect.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tlynn28
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 5:55 PM
I work in retail and dont do any of that. If a customer comes up to me and asks me where something is I just show them other than that I let them shop
MamiJaAyla
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Just do like Julia Roberts in pretty woman. It happens and you would think sales people would wake up. My mom bought her first Toyota (long time ago) b/c the salespeople at Cadillac ignored hr r. She was there to buy cash so she went to a diff dealership and got her Toyota which at the time were much cheaper and more reliable.
She still dresses like she ain't got a dime when in fact she own several properties. Just laugh its not worth it and if it bugs you then dress up
proudmother5946
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:21 AM
I went to a high end shop one time with my sister in law. The saleslady completely ignored me and focused on my "petite" sister in law. Yeah, maybe nothing in there would probably fit me, but I could have been shopping for someone else.
JRSMOM0621
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Where the hell are you that they do that? I've never treated customers like that unless they specifically say something like "I really like this but the tag is too much". My boss would fire my ass and I myself would have a talk with any employee under my shift for treating people like that. In fact I have and she continued so I took it higher.

AgGurl92
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM
Haha I've had this happen to me! Both my sister and I were going to Dillard's and were both dressed more "down".
We were actually there because my sisters size changed completely after her pregnancy...went from a 0 to my size, a 2.
We were there to get her a whole new wardrobe....a couple hundred dollars that JCPenny and a few other stores got because Dillard's was too snooty to even give us the time of day!

Pretty pathetic if you ask me
justone_jen
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Hey man, it even happened to Oprah.

I notice it in restaurants more than anything. Drives me crazy.
JTE11
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Lol I thought this was going to be a complaint of how they buzz around you like flies and don't let you think or look for things yourself even if you ask them to leave you alone. The ones around here descend on you like starving buzzards and then circle while you shop, I hate that. But I digress, lol. I agree with you that that's poor business sense. A customer is a customer and you treat them well or you risk losing sales. I tend to dress down a lot because DD and I play outside, go on hikes during the day, and sometimes afterward we decide to go somewhere else like out to eat or to shop in a local boutique and when we walk in with ballcaps and hiking shoes sometimes we get a look. But I'm with you- if I get attitude from a salesperson I will turn around and walk back out and not buy a thing. I realize that what I wear sends a message, even if it's the wrong one, so I just deal with it. I don't get upset, I just save my money for businesses that appreciate it and me.

Sheila79
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Sorry to hear that they really have some nerve. I don't get why society wants to put labels based on appearances like it's something but not everything. Every time I'm out with my kids I can see people take pity with their faces like I wasn't born yesterday and I certainly don't need your pity. All we can do is ignore them and continue on with our lives
FireCoyote
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
We actually did an experiment on that back when I was in college. I was in a group that went to a jewelry store. We had one person dress kind of raggedy (for lack of a better description) and I went in wearing a suit. The sales person immediately took me over to the more expensively priced items while another one kept my partner towards the cheaper items. It's amazing how much judgment could be passed based on what one is wearing.
babygirljd
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 4:39 PM

My dh grandfather bought a new cadillac every year in cash. He came into look in his work clothes, and they wouldn't wait on him. So he went across the street to a different  dealership and purchased. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)