Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

So sick of it

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM
  • 11 Replies

My employer resently offered me a seasonal Summer job but changed their mind when I mentioned I was expecting. Then it happened again a few weeks later with a different employer. I dont know if I feel upset or sad, this is my first pregnancy and I didnt think people would make decisions based on me being pregnant. 

I dont feel any different or like I would work any different just because I'm pregnant. I dont get it. Pregnant or not I still need to pay my bills.

Has this ever happened to any other moms? If so how did you react? 

by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:31 AM
2 moms liked this
You want a job? Don't mention your pregnant until after 90 says. They see you as a liability and too risky to hire. You will be passed over each time. Hold off as long as you can before telling anybody as far as a boss, or other employees.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My work told me I had to go on unpaid maternity 3mo before my little guy was due.

britaylor
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM
You do not have to tell them you are pregnant. Wait until you get big and they ask then they can't use it against you.
britaylor
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM
They can't fire you for being pregnant, but they can not hire you.
KRhyMama2013
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

They may not legally be able to, but I'm sure it is done all the time.  My work laid me off 12 weeks before my son was born, and guess what, that position was filled again.

Quoting britaylor: They can't fire you for being pregnant, but they can not hire you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I was pregnant when I was hired by a law enforcement agency. You can bet your ass I kept that to myself until I couldn't hide it! They were very nice put me on light duty and all that, but even then the sheriff made a fuss about my maternity leave which by that time I would have earned according to their rules. I was even told "well you may not get all your leave." I wanted to snap back "well this baby is coming out and I'm not having it here in a jail nor am I going to rush back here after he pops out so fuck off." I would of just never come back, it's like what do they expect women to do? We are women we have babies get over it. Most women are ten times better employees than men anyway even with the maternity leave!

misskiss21
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

They can't ask....you could be 9 months and they can't ask you if you're pregnant.

Quoting britaylor: You do not have to tell them you are pregnant. Wait until you get big and they ask then they can't use it against you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I worked for the Sheriff dept too. The sheriff denied my leave. When I got the papers back I called his secretary and asked if it was a mistake. The baby is coming out, like it or not. They eventually approved my leave. I only got paid for 2 weeks. They would not let me use the rest of my paid time I accumulated while there. I quit not long after going back. They had to pay me for the time I had accumulated after I quit.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was pregnant when I was hired by a law enforcement agency. You can bet your ass I kept that to myself until I couldn't hide it! They were very nice put me on light duty and all that, but even then the sheriff made a fuss about my maternity leave which by that time I would have earned according to their rules. I was even told "well you may not get all your leave." I wanted to snap back "well this baby is coming out and I'm not having it here in a jail nor am I going to rush back here after he pops out so fuck off." I would of just never come back, it's like what do they expect women to do? We are women we have babies get over it. Most women are ten times better employees than men anyway even with the maternity leave!

virgoj3
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

ILLEGAL - talk to an attorney.  Will your pregnacy have any bearing on your ability to do the job?  If not, you may have a discrimination suit on your hands.  A potential employer doesn't have to hire you, but a current employer cannot use that as an excuse.  It might be worth it to mention to the HR manager that you believe you are being discriminated against and that you are seeking legal counsel.  If they are smart, they will re-offer the position, if they are stupid and term you,then you have an excellent case.

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Never tell an employer!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)