Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

I WILL NOT FORCE MY DAUGHTER......

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am tired of people telling me I need to force my 11 yr daughter to shave her legs.

She is tall and physically mature for her age. She has long dark hair on her legs and family and friends tell me I need to force her to shave.

WHY? She has no interest in doing so and its not bothering her.

Last fall I asked her about her under her arms and she did want too,  as she wears a lot of tank tops and she is the only girl on her sport teams that had that amount of hair under her arms. (A lot) and it was a hygine issue.

I am now replying :They are her legs and if she wants to she will, it not leave her alone.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goodybag1
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Well don't it's her body
KRhyMama2013
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM
9 moms liked this

Im glad you are leaving it up to your child, way to go mama!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:06 PM

It is up to your DD. However you might want to encourage her to do it, not force her. You might want to mention people will make fun of her, especially since she has dark hair.

Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:34 PM
2 moms liked this

it's her body and if she doesn't care i don't see the issue with her not shaving

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I have mentioned that to her. She says it does not bother her and she would tell them to shut up.

She is home schooled so it takes out the bullying aspect down.  I struggle with the aspect on how important American Society has put on shaving. Many countries do not emphasis shaving and beauty. My gal is tall, and beautiful and looks much older then 11. I want her to be a kid as long as possible.

While we were visiting family 2 weeks ago it was debated in an adult conversation in the living room lead by my oldest adult child until I compared it to circumcision (her hot button) and told oldest DD to shut up and she then said I was right. Personal choice. (SHOCKED she backed off)

Gma just admits to me while they visited yesterday she had a conversation to her about using VEET Blade-less stuff (terrible reviews by the way)

It was VENT or exploded. I had to beg at 10/11 to shave my legs!!! jeesh

Quoting Anonymous:

It is up to your DD. However you might want to encourage her to do it, not force her. You might want to mention people will make fun of her, especially since she has dark hair.

ranchmama21
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. Let her decide when to shave the legs. If the girl is comfortable in her own skin, let her be.

ranchmama21
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 4:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I do understand where you are coming from.....but that can send the DD the wrong message that when she is bullied, she has to change herself to stop the bullies. That will only send the message that what the bullies say is right. This would be a good time for bullies to get a good dose of reality by DD telling them to back off on judgment and meaness.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I am actually proud of her and back her 100%. I love her hairy legs! LOL

I worry about kids making fun of her, but maybe she will educate them.

I am glad she is comfortable in her own skin. I actually wish I could be more like her sometimes.

She is truly my pride and joy.

way to go

Quoting ranchmama21:

I do understand where you are coming from.....but that can send the DD the wrong message that when she is bullied, she has to change herself to stop the bullies. That will only send the message that what the bullies say is right. This would be a good time for bullies to get a good dose of reality by DD telling them to back off on judgment and meaness.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 8:07 PM
This. It's the truth

Quoting Anonymous:

aheasley
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My mom did not allow me to shave until I was 13. My dd is 18 and hates to shave. She thought she wanted to when she was 12 and I let her. However the hair on her legs is fine and blond so it does not show much. She chose to stop shaving.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)