Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

adhd and meds....

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
My 7 year old son has ADHD and some people thinks its wrong for me to put him on meds... his grades at school drops and acts out ,cant stay still or get no work done when he is not on them but when he is on them he get A'S and B's teacher talks grade about him .. i just feel like im doing something wrong but how can i when my son is doing great in school on them. Hes not on them at home at all ,i deal with the ADHD with all the moving and acting out.. he only takes it in the morning before school... am i wrong for putting him on meds????.
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamiJaAyla
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Imo... no but then again I made the same choice. I rather have a kid with confidence and who feels good about himself and knows he's smart than one that thinks he's a dumb monster that needs to disappear (direct quote when he was 7).
Meds is not all we do we work on doing the skills when not on meds or like now in the summer on a 1/2 does for camp. (No meds was not successful).
In the end he's my son. I tried for a long time not to. It is what it is and one day we hope he can manage without but those who just criticize often just don't get it. THere actually some awesome videos on YouTube that can educate them what its like.
My son is happier he's not perfect he sure as heckler is not a zombie but he also got on Honor Roll all year and most imp. he knows he's not a monster that should disappear from the face of the Earth
guia
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Well my opinion and my experience from when my son was young. But now is 22 year old going on 23 year old. I was 18 year old when I had my son when he got to kindergarten they said he was ADHD wish i didn't know nothing about as a young mother who didn't have my perant rise me. Yes my son had problems when he was young hyper when he was young but I though boy's are like that. They talked to me about med I flat a lot intimate i flat i didn't have no say as a parent.  They are a lot of things i didn't know as a parent right as being a young mother. and they would not tell you what are ur right as a parent if you didn't know. Some med made sleepy and some made him space some med he didn't not eat. some of this med have a lot of side effect. Into one I said for get it. As i got a little older i learn more about these med. I feel now of day's these teacher they weather not deal with a child that has problem the first thing they weather have them on med. Did you take ur child to a doctor your own doctor you don't have to use the school. and if you did they they say he have ADHD. I think med is the last resort if you feel right and get educate on it and he has to see someone once a week if he taking this med. My opinion I think these kids who I'm not going to say ADHD I'm going to say hyper need program and i know they have them out there. I have a 16 year old boy they say he needed meds me and dad sad hell no my son just have a behavior problem and is not every day thing is once in a blue thing intelligent he does not have a disability he can read write and every and his math OML he in the highs level. Ik my right as a parent now they have and opinion on it but is my decisions as a mother the same thing when they have and opinion on special education. Is your right as a parent to fight for your child if you feel they are wrong or you don't feel right about it. Your child can't make these decisions or fight for him self. So don't worry what ppl think if your doing the wrong thing if they didn't not experience anything like these they don't know how you feel. If you feel is the right choice for your son. If you feel not good about it ask if there anything Elsa you could do to help your son. I don't believe in drugging your child.

guia
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

good Luck on your son on your decions this is my opinion that's  all and that why I feel everyone feel different about things and I don't try to down no one about anything.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 24, 2014 at 11:20 PM
Both my kids are ADHD. They have the attention part not really hyper. They have trouble focusing. Their grades went up and they were on grade level with in 6 months of being on it. Dd teacher did not know she was on them when I put her on them a year and a half ago and she noticed an improvement in three months. Neither teacher recommended them be tested. They are not on them in the summer or on the weekends. Unless need be. Next week they are going to optional summer school (free program to keep kids from losing so much information). They will be on them then.
Starlit_Eyes
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:18 PM

So long as you're doing what you feel is best for your family. That's what matters. It seems like it's helping and your only using meds when he's at school so i give major kuddos there (I'm not a fan of meds for kids) especially since you only using them for when he at school. 

jaydensmom1726
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 4:35 PM

is he on them during the summer? or is it strictly for academic reasons that he is on the?

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

You are NOT wrong, omg my nephew wasn't given meds until he was kicked out of every school and sports team and his social life was ruined. His childhood sucked and now he's a messed up adult because his parents were too dumb to give him meds until it was too late. Hooray for you!!

owens530
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Hes not on them during the summer time. .. only for academic
mrsmoonbeam
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:01 PM
My son has ADHD mostly the AD not so much hyper. we can tell the diffrence when he is on his meds and when he is not. do what you have to do people who dont agree with if can Myob!
owens530
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Yeah its a big differences and i feel bad when my baby come home and says he had a bad day and says mommy i tired my hardest. .. then when hes on them he says mommy i had a great day and i got all my work done... i love seeing him happy .. hurts me when hes not....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN