• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this normal or am I crazy? Can I get help for this? Be kind

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

So over the last 5 years I have started becoming increasingly paranoid and uncomfortable in cars. I'm okay if I am driving, but we live in a nice urban/suburb area and the kids and I can mostly walk to the stores with my kids to get groceries, go to the park, etc. When I have to be a passenger, I freak. I feel ridiculous, and it's embarassing and I try to meditate or focus on my phone to distract myself from the road and my husband is an excellent driver, it's not him, but I can't help it. I mean I end up burying my head in my hands and try telling myself it's fine, but every little jerk or slowing down for a stop or seeing another car put their breaks on sends me into panic mode. I start sweating and feel like a can't breathe...we had a 6 hour car trip recently when we drove out of state to celebrate our anniversary, I tried taking advil p.m. so I wouldn't lose it but it didn't work. I ended up crying and it took a while to get out there because I had a couple of panic attacks on the way. 

I don't ever do it outside of the car, I meditate and try to balance stress levels but being in the car is causing severe emotional distress. I don't want my kids to think I'm nuts and I don't want to stress my husband out. :( We have a family vacation coming up and I don't know what to do. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
woodswalker
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 5:15 PM
3 moms liked this

You are having anxiety attacks.   Yes, you can get help for it. But you need to call your dr.   

dallascowboys82
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Have you ever been any type of car wreck? Sounds like panic attacks which are different then anxitey attacks. You may need to get in touch with your doctor and ask him to put you on something to help you out.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Quoting dallascowboys82:

Have you ever been any type of car wreck? Sounds like panic attacks which are different then anxitey attacks. You may need to get in touch with your doctor and ask him to put you on something to help you out.

I don't do it outside of the car and I don't want to have to go on anxiety meds 24/7 you know what I mean? 

I've been in a couple, but they were 2 years before the panick attacks started. 

teenkabear
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I am not the type of person that throws a prescription at petty problems, but you need one for this.  If your other tactics are not working, and it is ruining family outings & making you that uncomfortable, it's time for something like Xanax.  And you don't even need to take it every day, just when needed.  Go to your doctor & just tell him about your situation, it is more common than you think.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM
2 moms liked this

You don't have to take medication 24/7 for anxiety, just when you need it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting dallascowboys82:

I don't do it outside of the car and I don't want to have to go on anxiety meds 24/7 you know what I mean? 

I've been in a couple, but they were 2 years before the panick attacks started. 

proudmother5946
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:02 AM
I took Ativan for my anxiety attacks. I never knew when one would hit or what would trigger one.
Maybe some counseling would help you. You could be having a delayed reaction to the accidents you were in.
lisa12121
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

1. No, you are not nuts. 

2. You clearly have a phobia/anxiety disorder that is mostly focused on being in a car.

3. There is treatment out there to help. Therapy and possibly anxiety meds. When your phobia starts impacting your functionality, it is time to get help.

Best of luck.

krazymom2boyz
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM
This! Especially #1!

Quoting lisa12121:

1. No, you are not nuts. 

2. You clearly have a phobia/anxiety disorder that is mostly focused on being in a car.

3. There is treatment out there to help. Therapy and possibly anxiety meds. When your phobia starts impacting your functionality, it is time to get help.

Best of luck.

butzi
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:00 PM
No you are definitely not nuts! My son had some severe anxiety attacks after my husband was hospitalized for a couple of weeks. He was prescribed Xanax for immediate relief ( when he feels one coming on he takes a half a
Xanax) he also goes to therapy to get at the root of his anxiety, and to learn specific skills to help cope. Meditation is helpful but might not be the only coping skill you need. Good luck... Anxiety is not fun!
mylife_mylove
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM
I have a really mild form of this, but mine is worse when I'm the one driving. You aren't crazy. Panicking in certain situations is common. Like others have said, talk to your doctor. Best of luck :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)