Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Walkin around with Pink Eye

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

I went to a baptism. There was a party at a home afterward, crawling with kids, including my 3. Then I'm informed that the 2 year old toddling around playing with everyone has pink eye. Not HAD, but has. I also learn that the baby of honor, who I'd just been holding, who had just drooled over my hand, just recently had pink eye.

Now, the toddler who had pinkeye, his mother wasn't even there. I was wishing she took him with her whereever she was, so the other kids wouldn't have been exposed.

To make this even crazier...I don't vaccinate my kids. But I don't bring them anywhere -for their sake as well as others' - when they're contagious. The host was initially uneasy inviting us simply because they're not vaccinated. They did not bring sickness this day. Nor do they ever. But rest assured, almost every gathering with this side of the family, people are parading around their sick kids. Constantly.

So anyway, the mom of the baptism baby says her doctor told her to squirt breastmilk in the baby's eye and because its' full of antibodies, it would heal the eye. She did it for the boy, and her own baby, and was proud to report it worked. But that doesn't mean they aren't still contagious!

Wasn't it rude to invite a whole bunch of people, unknowingly (including a couple of another newborn) to a party in a small area and allow their children to play with two childrne with pink eye? Kinda ticked me off.

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:23 AM
5 moms liked this

wow, talk about an extreme overreaction!

1.  pink eye is not transmittable through drool.

2.  pink eye is has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of immunization.

3.  a newborn is most likely not going to be held by a contagious 3 year old, and is certainly not going to rub their fist all over said infectious child's hands or eyes and then rub their eyes.

are you always this hysterical about an every day, run-of-the-mill endemic?

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM
5 moms liked this

No, but pink eye is very contageous and her point was that she is concientious.  When her kids are sick, she keeps them home so they don't make others sick. But the ones who were so concerned about her kids because they're not vaccinated had no such concerns about keeping their sick kids away from everyone so others don't get sick.   And the 2 year old who has the pink eye most certainly will spread it.  

Her point was manners and the complacency of those with sick kids and how inconsiderate they are when they don't seem to care that those kids are contagious.

Quoting Anonymous:

3.  a newborn is most likely not going to be held by a contagious 3 year old, and is certainly not going to rub their fist all over said infectious child's hands or eyes and then rub their eyes.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, That's exactly what I was saying.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

No, but pink eye is very contageous and her point was that she is concientious.  When her kids are sick, she keeps them home so they don't make others sick. But the ones who were so concerned about her kids because they're not vaccinated had no such concerns about keeping their sick kids away from everyone so others don't get sick.   And the 2 year old who has the pink eye most certainly will spread it.  

Her point was manners and the complacency of those with sick kids and how inconsiderate they are when they don't seem to care that those kids are contagious.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

If you were that bothered by it, you had the choice to leave when they notified you.  Its not like you found out after the party.  They told you, you chose to stay.  I dont think you have a valid complaint.  Plus while pink eye is "highly contagious" unless your kids are touching the kids eye and then their own they are not going to "catch it".  Its not airborne...and I dont understand being this concerned about pink eye if you dont vacinate your kids.  You believe the vaccines to be more harmful than the diseases they are intended to prevent which are much worse than pink eye.  I am not criticizing your choices, they are yours...but i think you opted to stay and "expose" your unvaccinated children.  So you cant really lay blame on the family who notified you.

Seasal
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Actually if the pink eye kid touches his /her eye and doesn't immediately wash with soap & water, the can spread germs on any hard surface they touch. Then anyone who touches that object can carry , catch or spread it. I'd be pissed and would find an excuse to leave soon after finding out. I have some relatives that give us bad cold or stomach flu every xmas. I actually skipped the party for the past 2 years cause I can't afford to take off work and I have a high deductible copay. I'd pay $100 - $150 to see the Dr ( for each of us who goes in) plus meds. Last eye anti biotic I had was $200. I have private ins from work and it sucks cause the people who bring the sick kids each year are sahm ' s & get medicaid so the don't consider my economic impact.

I vaccinate too. Would only be concerned about non vacs who were sick.
LoveNaCupcake
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

This!

Pink eye freaks me out for some reason and this would have made me run! It's just common courtesy to leave your sick children at home to mend, don't take them out where they can possibly spread their illness to others. 

Quoting Seasal: Actually if the pink eye kid touches his /her eye and doesn't immediately wash with soap & water, the can spread germs on any hard surface they touch. Then anyone who touches that object can carry , catch or spread it. I'd be pissed and would find an excuse to leave soon after finding out. I have some relatives that give us bad cold or stomach flu every xmas. I actually skipped the party for the past 2 years cause I can't afford to take off work and I have a high deductible copay. I'd pay $100 - $150 to see the Dr ( for each of us who goes in) plus meds. Last eye anti biotic I had was $200. I have private ins from work and it sucks cause the people who bring the sick kids each year are sahm ' s & get medicaid so the don't consider my economic impact. I vaccinate too. Would only be concerned about non vacs who were sick.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:41 PM

good

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Anonymous:

zombieskayer
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:20 PM

pink eye can only be contracted in the first 24 hours of treatment

Adnalor
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM
Why does everyone know you don't vaccinate? That would be something that no one would need to know about me.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Quoting Anonymous:

twoboysforus
by New Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Pink eye is pretty contagious. As per our pediatrician a child is still contagious until they have been on antibiotics for a full 24 hours. So if it were me, I probably would have warned all guests ahead of time that one of my kids had pink eye and let them decide for themselves if they wanted to come to the party. If it really bothered you, you should have left as soon as you found out. The good news is that chances of your LOs contracting pink eye from the party really isn't too high. Unless they were touching each other in the face etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)