Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where are my SNAKE mamas.... HELP!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:12 PM
  • 11 Replies

OK ive been rescuing and adopting out snakes since i was 12 so 13 years but I must say Ive never had newborns...And im not sure what to do with this one. I got my daughter a 5 day old Corn snake for her birthday on July 15th. It ate a dead mouse on July 15th. Then on July 21st it was for sure hungry striking the glass at anything that moved. SO we tried another mouse and have been trying daily since and it wont eat...Live or dead BUT it will curl up with it for warmth Lol but the tank is warm its at 87 currently. Its got water and everything. its not in the blue and its friendly again(not striking at us) 

Ive never had a snake not eat before so i have no idea what to do. I did poke it to get the blood and scent out(dead one not live yall) I tried the dark box. Its head is the size of a pencil eraser not even that big i cant really help him out much more without squishing him...Ideas?

Like Free stuff? Come check us out! We have Frugal Ideas, Freebies, Sweepstakes, Instant win games & more! Even ways to Earn Money. ]C8lin's Freebie Page 100% Free stuff! Group - CafeMom

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
The snake could be stressed out. Just leave him be for a week and then feed him. Then do not touch him for two days after he finally eats
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:17 PM
I thought snakes went a time without eating. My stepbrother had Gardner snakes and they got fed maybe once a week
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:19 PM

This. Are you feeding him in a separate tank so that he doesn't associate any movement in his habitat as food? 

Quoting Anonymous: The snake could be stressed out. Just leave him be for a week and then feed him. Then do not touch him for two days after he finally eats

C8linVilla
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM

they do...I fed him July 15th. he has not eaten since. thats 16 days. a newborn snake should eat twice a week from everything i hear since these mice are really small. but i tried the next week on tuesday and then this week on tues, wed, thur, fri,sat because im worried but he has refused all meals

Quoting lilmama8408: I thought snakes went a time without eating. My stepbrother had Gardner snakes and they got fed maybe once a week

Like Free stuff? Come check us out! We have Frugal Ideas, Freebies, Sweepstakes, Instant win games & more! Even ways to Earn Money. ]C8lin's Freebie Page 100% Free stuff! Group - CafeMom

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Maybe something was wrong with the mouse, I've heard they'll turn down any that have diseases or whatever. Have you tried a pinkie mouse? My ball python LOVED those when he was a baby.

C8linVilla
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Lol yes i am. He eats in his tupperware he came in inside a dark box. I tried just the tupperware and he ate the first time but now he wants nothing to do with food at all. Im not sure how he would be stressed but i do guess anything is possible. We hold him for at least 10 min a day in the AM (so that he learns we are friends and not to bite) then he is Free in his cage the rest of the day. At this time only myself and 6yr old hold him in a quiet place away from the 3,2,and 1 yr olds. Snakes cage is in the living room but wiht summer here we are never really in there so its never very loud or anthing

Quoting Anonymous:

This. Are you feeding him in a separate tank so that he doesn't associate any movement in his habitat as food? 

Quoting Anonymous: The snake could be stressed out. Just leave him be for a week and then feed him. Then do not touch him for two days after he finally eats

C8linVilla
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I cant imagine that being the case because its a different pinky each time since you can not refreeze them. And they are from my sister who breeds them and yes pinkie mouse. rat pinkies are to big.(i might have put that in the post though sorry. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe something was wrong with the mouse, I've heard they'll turn down any that have diseases or whatever. Have you tried a pinkie mouse? My ball python LOVED those when he was a baby.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM

And you've tried a live one too? Mine is super picky, just the biggest brat lol, he only eats live.

Quoting C8linVilla:

I cant imagine that being the case because its a different pinky each time since you can not refreeze them. And they are from my sister who breeds them and yes pinkie mouse. rat pinkies are to big.(i might have put that in the post though sorry. 

Quoting Anonymous:

lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Maybe use baby mice or crickets or something. Might have been a bit big for it. I've heard of mice rats rabbits ect clawing snacks from the inside that cause issues

Quoting C8linVilla:

they do...I fed him July 15th. he has not eaten since. thats 16 days. a newborn snake should eat twice a week from everything i hear since these mice are really small. but i tried the next week on tuesday and then this week on tues, wed, thur, fri,sat because im worried but he has refused all meals

Quoting lilmama8408: I thought snakes went a time without eating. My stepbrother had Gardner snakes and they got fed maybe once a week

C8linVilla
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Yes Im trying to only feed Frozen Just because ive had big issues with live in other snakes but ill go live if i have too. Ive tried 2 live.he will smell them and even just curl up next to them but never tries to kill them. its like they are friends haha

Quoting Anonymous:

And you've tried a live one too? Mine is super picky, just the biggest brat lol, he only eats live.

Quoting C8linVilla:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)