Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

What age is it approraite for a child to...........

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM
  • 45 Replies

............get or need a cell phone. I see YOUNG YOUNG YOUNG  kids with their own loaded high end cell phones. I see ENTIRE families in restaurants all checked out playing games or whatever on them. I see them in cars, and WALKING in stores on them. I get NEEDING a phone for emergencies/visitaions situations/ but I think many parents have lost it.

We have a 3rd line that we tried to drop, but the cell company gave us a great deal to keep it. Basic PHONE with camera we allow our 12 yr DD to take on field trips and sleep overs and practice. It stays in drawer in kitchen when not in use.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cuddlyknuckle
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't get a cell phone until I was 16 and it was only to be used to contact my parents or my best friend(she is like family). My little sister got hers at 13, I feel that it is too young. I will not get cells for my sons to use regularly until they are 16, I will do the same as you when they become more active in school and events and friends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest DS will be getting one this year and he's 6 but it will be like a cheapo pre-paid (like a track phone) and he will only have it when he goes to his fathers house. We live in diff states so he has to stay there for a week or more at a time and his father is not responsible at all. I want him to be able to call me when he is down there because they were not very nice to him the last time he was down there
laura1986
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 3:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I think a cell phone is OK once they hit middle school and start doing things with friends alone but at that age a simple phone is good enough. Not these handheld computer phones. I don't understand why parents get them for their kids. DD will have a regular cell when she starts middle school but it will only be for afterachool activities/ weekend.
PogoPalOj
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM

MY 12 year old granddaughter has a basic phone, because she is starting to get more independent and go off and do things on her own.  I think it is a good idea because my daughter can get a hold of her when she needs to and if something happens she can call her mom or dad.  Right now she is on visitation with her bio dad and can call home whenever she wants to.

AJsMom81507
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this

most kids around here get them at 10. I see nothing wrong with it.  in this day and age, cell phones are a must esp with elementary afterschool activities, friends houses etc.

mcclouds66
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM

If phones are used by kids to call/text family as needed then I have no issue. My major concern is how is that inhibiting families from making connections?

How is that promoting/growing  good communication skills or people skills with our kids as they grow up if they are zoned out or not doing things verbally or in person.

I constantly have the teen cashier with their phone down by their side texting or pming on the sly vs doing their job.

Our future communications worry me.

liquidtinkerbel
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Everyone is different. My almost 3 year old has a deactivated one to play games on, my 10 year old  has one and I see nothing wrong with it.

chopped headTeam Zombie! (former sn elrikandisis)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

just because you see families at restaurants all with phones you shouldnt assume they are all activated cell phones....there are such things as iTouch...like an iphone but with no phone.....just music and games....there are soooooooooooooooo many electronic companies making things for kids...dont assume the kids have activated phones....my 6 yr old has an old iphone i no longer use...its to play subway surfer on....

PeachQuean
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:09 PM

My kids because they are often not home and either gone out playing around the neighborhood or dd 12 is gone on the city bus with friends to the mall or to see a show or local concerts etc...

Oh btw she bought her phone herself and she pays the bill herself as well, its just in my name due to her age. 

My 6 yr old dd uses hers when she is out around the neighborhood at the park or sleepovers and other activities. She pays for half of hers monthly as well. 

notjstasocermom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM
Around 15
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN