Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Facebook, fundraising and RUDE JERKS

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

I started an online fundraiser for my younger sister. She is 26 with two children. She has been sick with a cardiac heart defect since birth and had numerous amounts of surgeries when we were children.

Well, my sis is real sick again. She under went a cardiac cath and is now facing a heart valve transplant come october and her med bills are pilling up.

Her insurance only covers a certain percent and she does NOT qualify for Charity care. So myself and family have set up numerous fundraisers to help her out.

I posted the link on Facebook and had a person question WHY we are asking for money why can't she just get Medicaid/care or charity care!? if she was sick why didn't she save up!?

Nobody ever see's these things coming. And my sister is a hard worker!! SHe doesn't qualify for those gov given programs but she doesn'thave 30K saved for her expenses! She has two children she is raising and saving for their schooling and housing not mention my Nephew is special needs  so his bills are high too from speech and occupational therapy. 

If you aren't going to help or spread the word wtf are you stirring isssues for?! Either donate, share the link or keep it moving!!

I do not expect to raise all 4k we set a goal for but Jesus, I thought there was kind enough people to donate even ten bucks to help!

Posted by Anonymous on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
applesnbananas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 8:55 PM
I am sometimes disappointed in humanity. I have a friend who was injured in an accident and out of work 6 months, a friend that lost a 6 day old baby, and another friend that has cancer.... I share their link and see none of my friends donating. Makes me sad. When my friends have people they love and care about with financial needs I've been donating.... When my husband did a fundraiser for Movember I had friends not donate, and them in return ask me to donate for their fundraisers..... Man what's $5? Why are people so stingy? I usually donate $20-50, but what's $5? When someone is burying their 6 day old baby and expenses of in excess of $10,000?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Quoting applesnbananas: I am sometimes disappointed in humanity. I have a friend who was injured in an accident and out of work 6 months, a friend that lost a 6 day old baby, and another friend that has cancer.... I share their link and see none of my friends donating. Makes me sad. When my friends have people they love and care about with financial needs I've been donating.... When my husband did a fundraiser for Movember I had friends not donate, and them in return ask me to donate for their fundraisers..... Man what's $5? Why are people so stingy? I usually donate $20-50, but what's $5? When someone is burying their 6 day old baby and expenses of in excesss of $10,000?

That is why the links make me feel bad. I am on hard times right now. A lot of my friends do not know this. I have friends who post a lot of fundraisers and I just can't right now. I asked in the past if the kids had one but I have even stopped doing that.

Adnalor
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM
I never see that kind of stuff. If you're depending on someone to randomly scroll through their feed and happen to see your post, you can't expect a lot. Facebook doesn't even show everything posted. Sadly, his rude comment probably bumped it to the top of someone else's news feed, giving you more publicity.
Adnalor
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:17 PM
And I hope your sis is okay!
applesnbananas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:18 PM
I'm very sorry you're going through hard times. Can you do something else for those in need? Donate handmade items for fundraisers? Rake their yard? Wash their dishes?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting applesnbananas: I am sometimes disappointed in humanity. I have a friend who was injured in an accident and out of work 6 months, a friend that lost a 6 day old baby, and another friend that has cancer.... I share their link and see none of my friends donating. Makes me sad. When my friends have people they love and care about with financial needs I've been donating.... When my husband did a fundraiser for Movember I had friends not donate, and them in return ask me to donate for their fundraisers..... Man what's $5? Why are people so stingy? I usually donate $20-50, but what's $5? When someone is burying their 6 day old baby and expenses of in excesss of $10,000?

That is why the links make me feel bad. I am on hard times right now. A lot of my friends do not know this. I have friends who post a lot of fundraisers and I just can't right now. I asked in the past if the kids had one but I have even stopped doing that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Some people have no regard for others.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Why doesn't she qualify?  Is it investments or company retirement?  You may have to do what a lot of people do to get their parents eligble for medicare, or give away (to a trusted family member to keep for her) until she does qualify.   

Patti-Gee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Why doesn't she qualify?  Is it investments or company retirement?  You may have to do what a lot of people do to get their parents eligble for medicare, or give away (to a trusted family member to keep for her) until she does qualify.   

It's Medicaid, which is means tested.   Medicare is for the elderly. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)