Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Why would you do that? (edited to fix typos)

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:04 AM
  • 32 Replies

How many of you (whether your child goes to brick and mortar, online school or traditional homeschool) donate to your local church or local public school for kids who can't get the supplies they need. I am donating to my church this year again. First they give to the kids who need it from the church. Then they set up to help the community each weekend Friday and Saturday about 4 weeks before school starts. School starts August 25th. So they started the giveaways last weekend. You must bring your child with you to get the school supplies. They put it in the church bulletins and in the local papers to get the community to help out. So there's usually like 6 churches with the ad on the community page.

They give according to grade. Usually the back pack has everything on the list for the individual child. The schools here do it this way they have individual child. Then the Classroom list under it for those who want to help with the classroom.

They have them set out on each table labled K, Grades1-3, Grades 4-5, Grades 6-8 Grades 9-10 and the table for Grades11 -12. That's how the lists are set up They have a back pack filled with the lists from that grade. They start the drive in early june so they can get everything by mid-July and if they still need anything they give a list of what they still need. Then buy the rest of what they don't have to make sure each back pack has everything. Usually the backpacks are a plain solid color and a decent quality nothing super fancy but sturdy maybe $5-$10.

Then I noticed something about our community when I was in the store the other day getting our whiteboard. My daughter is homeschooled. There were some kids in the store with their mom asking for a "cool" folder so they have something better than a plain one and the mother said, "No. we are going to that community drive. If them people at the churches wanna give it away I'm not about to spend my money on it! I can use that for me."

I know I'm moving but this makes me not wanna do it in future years. Would this make you stop knowing people abuse the giveaways like this. I mean she can afford the supplies what if her kids get something that another kid needs. I don't think it's right

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
little.worthen
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this
There's always gonna be a few people who abuse everything. That doesn't mean that all of them do and it doesn't mean that there aren't still people in need
skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this
You're not drawing a straight line from the comment to the abuse of the program. Just because someone is in a store, doesn't mean that they can afford to buy whatever they want. I think you are jumping to conclusions. If you don't want to give to the program, then don't.
nayeli.c
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM

That would upset me too, but every system gets abused. You can not donate or you can and hope it goes to someone who really needs it. I think you should have said something to her though! That or talk to the church and tell them you think connecting with teachers so the teachers can hand them out to students who need them is a better idea!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:43 PM

I don't think it is right either. No I do not donate to churches or whoever for those reasons.

There is a church in our community that gathers up shoes, clothes, socks, and school supplies for kids/family that need the help. This year they are advertising(sp?) what they are doing......here is the sad thing; they have a list of names that need the items (from a local school), so if I were to show up with my niece they would turn us away because our name is not on the "list"...

I would think if you have a "list" of the kids that are going to get the items, do not advertise to others about what you are doing, and do NOT say that everyone is welcome to come and get back to school items when you know full well that if they are not on your "list" then they are not going to get anything!

Sorry, but it pisses me off on BOTH sides of the sphere. The greedy parents who can afford it but would rathe get it for free and the donaters that are greedy for the attention they get not worried about actually helping.

amybrg86
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:55 PM

if there's something there that the above-mentioned mom/daughter could use, then why shouldn't they be able to take it? it's not like they're taking it 'just because'---i think they're just as entitled to something for free as someone who might not have as much money as them. just because they have the money to spend, doesn't mean they have to.

if i had the option between paying for a folder i need and getting that same folder or better for free, i'm def gonna take the free one!! and if i was at the local church and couldn't find any folders that i liked, then i'd go buy the one i want (but why not look and see if there might be one at the local church for free first!)??

oobee69
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:25 PM
3 moms liked this

Your thinking is messed up.  This stuff is for families that don't have money not for people who don't want to spend money.  Your being gready.

Quoting amybrg86:

if there's something there that the above-mentioned mom/daughter could use, then why shouldn't they be able to take it? it's not like they're taking it 'just because'---i think they're just as entitled to something for free as someone who might not have as much money as them. just because they have the money to spend, doesn't mean they have to.

if i had the option between paying for a folder i need and getting that same folder or better for free, i'm def gonna take the free one!! and if i was at the local church and couldn't find any folders that i liked, then i'd go buy the one i want (but why not look and see if there might be one at the local church for free first!)??

ladymaleficent
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:27 PM
No we don't .
Perle1
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM
I'm sure your donations have helped a lot of people. There's always going to be someone gaming the system. Chances are the woman you overheard was not wealthy. I would keep giving if you can afford it.
LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:43 PM
This is why I ask the teachers at school what they need. Then I know it's going to classroom and going to kids who need it.

That being said, someone is always going to work the system. That doesn't mean there aren't kids and families who truly need and benefit from the help. I wouldn't stop donating. It's the same thing I say about public assistance, I will gladly pay for 100 people abusing the system if it prevents ONE truly needy person from going without.
daniellegirly26
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I use a cyber school for homeschooling. I donate to an area agency that gives to different programs for kids and families in need.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN