Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Ever had a nervous breakdown?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

What did it feel like? How did you know?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:49 PM
I have it all the time because I'm sooo shy I can't be in large groups, but my family loves get togethers. I start to shake and don't like to look at people in the face turn red.And feel like crying I told my husband he said it's just in my head
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

That might be a social phobia or something but not a nervous breakdown. Thanks, though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I started having panic attacks which increased in frequency from November to June.  Everyday at work I would be short of breath, I got tested for asthma because I could NOT believe it wasn't a physical issue.  It got to a point where I would sob so hard I couldn't catch my breath, like when your a little kid.  I had to quit my job and stay home for a while until I could get back into control.  I was diagnosed with depression, PTSD, panic disorder.  

My job brought stuff to the surface due to the enormous amount of stress I was under.  All my issues revolve around abuse I endured as a child and young adult.  This ranged from sexual, emotional and physical abuse.

It's getting some better, I've only been off work 2 months.  I'm sorry your going through this, what's it like for you? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I've had panic attacks in the past, when my job was really difficult, but that was years ago. But suddenly, the past week, I can be sitting at the computer, or washing dishes, or any normal task and I'll feel a panic building. Like something is coming that's going to be really horrific, any second. Suddenly out of nowhere I feel like I'm about to be burned at the stake, or I'm watching a bomb fall, and in reality nothing terrible is happening. I don't even have to be thinking about anything in particular, it comes out of nowhere,and I'm in fight or flight mode and can't seem to make it stop. And can last thirty minutes to two hours. It's awful.

Plus, I completely overreact to little things. DD has a doll with a broken neck so her head kind of leans. I saw the doll this morning and started hyperventillating. I had to make a phone call to the doctor then remembered he might be on vacation this week and my hands started shaking and I couldn't catch my breath or pick up the phone. I think of a little chore that needs to get done and I get so freaked out I can't make myself even think about it. It's so stupid!!!! It's like my emotions aren't conneted to reality.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Oh, and this morning I found myself smiling. I don't know why. I wasn't happy. I felt awful. I didn't put it there. But I was walking around the kitchen making breakfast with a stupid little grin on my face. I must be going crazy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:28 PM
It sounds like you have intense anxiety, that can be caused by many different factors, are you taking any medications? "Nervous breakdown" is actually not a medical term, but what one might define as a nervous breakdown another would define differently. You definitely have something going on that needs immediate treatment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I got in my car to go home from work ( I had been working 7 days a week and not sleeping much) and started to cry. I started shaking and crying and getting hysterical. I couldn't stop. I some how drove home which I don't remember and called my parents ( single woman at this point) I couldn't stop crying and they were 1000 miles away. I cried the entire night and I was crying when I woke up in the morning and that's when I went to the ER. I was not committed but sedated and spoke to a psychiatrist on staff. I couldn't control it.
teaandcookies
by Katherine on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I did because of my ex - husband.  It got to a pont that I just couldn't handle reality.  That what it is a break from reality.  So people get delusional, some people just go bannanas.  I started to go insane, and became very very paranoid.  It didn't help with the fact that it started by my finding out that my husband was putting drugs in my food.

Schnauzerlov869
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:37 PM
This, and an interesting fact, after all the adrenaline of an anxiety attack you often feel a surge of happiness. It's your body trying to counteract the stress. I've suffered my whole life with GAD.

Quoting Anonymous: It sounds like you have intense anxiety, that can be caused by many different factors, are you taking any medications? "Nervous breakdown" is actually not a medical term, but what one might define as a nervous breakdown another would define differently. You definitely have something going on that needs immediate treatment.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Yeah, I realize it's not a medical term, but I think it gets the point across to us non-medical types. And, no, I'm not on any medications.

Quoting Anonymous: It sounds like you have intense anxiety, that can be caused by many different factors, are you taking any medications? "Nervous breakdown" is actually not a medical term, but what one might define as a nervous breakdown another would define differently. You definitely have something going on that needs immediate treatment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN