Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

PARK RANGER IS AN A**HAT!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

Ok so this happened on the weekend of the 4th of July this year. I know it is a little late, but I just had to pay my fine and MAN AM I PISSED all over again!

My SO and I went with another couple over the weekend of the 4th on a mini vaca to the Roaring River State Park, Missouri. We were all looking forward to it So much, esp my SO and I since we had a baby a month before that, and it was our first time to relax (even though we worried 24/7 and called every hour lol). We got there early Saturday morning to start trout fishing. First got all the required licenses and lines, then headed on to our camp site. We fished here and there all day. Our camp site was literally 15 feet from part of the river, so mostly we fished there. We fished by the nursery. Went exploring some. Keep in mind, none of us are big fishermen (we all bowfish some at the lake by us, but that's it), my SO was the most experienced, but he had rarely been fishing in the past few years.

At about 6pm (Fishing stops at like 8:30 I believe), we had gone back to our campsite, walked a ways down the river to find a free fishing spot, and started fishing. My SO is 22, the only one over 21, and had his first beer that day. We were all minding our own business, and I was trying to catch my First fish that day while everyone else had atleast caught two.

Next thing we know we hear someone asking what we are fishing with. Before I turned around, my first thought was "umm, a fishing pole?". LOL. Turn around and, what do you know, it is the Park Ranger. He asked us to come up there and I thought, "Oh crap, my SO is gonna go to jail becuase they probably have some stupid law against drinking here." I had no idea what else it could be, we were all doing what we were supposed to. I also noticed all the other fishermen had moved when the Park Ranger pulled up.

The Park Ranger asked us, "You did know this is fly fishing only, right?" ( I guess we were fishing with plastic lures, and that was a NO-NO) The other girl and I asked what that was, and he looked at us like we were stupid. Hey, I may not know a lot about fishing, but I am Not stupid. I automatically hated him. He goes "There are signs all over" All of us look around and the only sign we see has to be at least 200 yards away, and there is no way in hell we can read what's on it, it is tiny.
He asks to see all of our licenses and fishing licenses. The other girl and I didn' t have our actual licenses, so we went to the car to get it. On our way there, we said "there is no way he will give us a ticket. We didn't do anything wrong!"

Sure enough, when we got back, my SO said "It is 160 a person." I said "Excuse me?". Wow. The other girl and I were PISSED. The Park Ranger started writing my ticket up and asked if I worked anywhere. I said "No, I just had a baby a month ago." He looked at me and goes, "Hmph. A month? I couldn't tell." OH MAN!!! MY SO WAS PISSED!!!! HE WAS F****** hitting on me!! GOSH. And he still wrote us all tickets. Our friends had just moved into a new place too. None of us could afford that BS then.

I asked him "Why didn't you get the rest of the people who were fishing with 'plastic lures'". He said he didn't see them.
BULLS***. We were a younger set of couples, and he decided to pick on us. He kind of ruined our vaca! We were Not disrespectful at all, even after he gave us the tickets (and hit on me and the other girl), we had all of the necessities to fish, we were obviously unaware of the fishing rules or that there even were any, we were doing Nothing wrong!

And now, with a two month old baby, my SO and I had to put together 320$ to pay for something as stupid as using the WRONG LURE. Thank God I got a very good paying job just a week after that. Still. It was totally unreasonable, and that guy was an A**HAT.

END OF VENT.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:57 PM
2 moms liked this
It's your responsibility to know the rules sorry.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Know all the rules first. He's doing his job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Yeah true. But that is ridiculous to give someone a fucking ticket over something like that. He was a dick all around, and just picking on us. A guy even walked up while we were standing there getting our tickets and started fishing with a plastic lure! I pointed it out and he said he didn't see the lure. WTF? First off, if they are going to make such a big deal about something like that, at least have the license people tell you to look in the rule book on the table. I didn't even know there was one or I Would have looked it over.
Yeah, shoulda known. Sure. But we should NOT have gotten tickets. PERIOD.

Quoting Anonymous: It's your responsibility to know the rules sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM
You break the rules you get a ticket.
We once had a ranger try to give us a ticket for not having a campfire permit. We didn't have a campfire! And he tried to tell us it's illegal to shoot guns through trees, up or down hills, across rivers, across meadows, etc. Umm no it's not where could you shoot them if that was true?
I know all about park rangers on a power trip but you guys were the ones in the wrong. You should have asked about regulations when you got the licenses and such. Most state and national parks also give brochures or newspapers out and the regulations are in there as well. It's your responsibility to know the regulations and theirs to fine those who don't follow the rules.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah true. But that is ridiculous to give someone a fucking ticket over something like that. He was a dick all around, and just picking on us. A guy even walked up while we were standing there getting our tickets and started fishing with a plastic lure! I pointed it out and he said he didn't see the lure. WTF? First off, if they are going to make such a big deal about something like that, at least have the license people tell you to look in the rule book on the table. I didn't even know there was one or I Would have looked it over. Yeah, shoulda known. Sure. But we should NOT have gotten tickets. PERIOD.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Im not gonna argue because I do agree in most cases. I just think in this case, yes we could have paid more attention to the signs, but something as silly as a fishing lure is ridiculous when there were plenty other people doing it as well, and plenty other things to worry about. Idk it just really hits a nerve. 160 for that? Crazy.

Quoting Anonymous: You break the rules you get a ticket. We once had a ranger try to give us a ticket for not having a campfire permit. We didn't have a campfire! And he tried to tell us it's illegal to shoot guns through trees, up or down hills, across rivers, across meadows, etc. Umm no it's not where could you shoot them if that was true? I know all about park rangers on a power trip but you guys were the ones in the wrong. You should have asked about regulations when you got the licenses and such. Most state and national parks also give brochures or newspapers out and the regulations are in there as well. It's your responsibility to know the regulations and theirs to fine those who don't follow the rules.
Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah true. But that is ridiculous to give someone a fucking ticket over something like that. He was a dick all around, and just picking on us. A guy even walked up while we were standing there getting our tickets and started fishing with a plastic lure! I pointed it out and he said he didn't see the lure. WTF? First off, if they are going to make such a big deal about something like that, at least have the license people tell you to look in the rule book on the table. I didn't even know there was one or I Would have looked it over. Yeah, shoulda known. Sure. But we should NOT have gotten tickets. PERIOD.

KyliesMom5
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM
He was doing his job! You should have known the rules before going.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I Understand that, but do you not agree something as stupid as that should not be reason to be given a ticket?? Dang. Plus everyone else was doing it, and They obviously knew better because they left when he showed up. Should've watched for the damn signs I know. But a lure? 160? Come on.

Quoting KyliesMom5: He was doing his job! You should have known the rules before going.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM

He didn't see the other people doing it because they were gone and he caught you. So you had to pay the piper. Follow the rules. You're not going to get much sympathy on here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Wow. Lol. Real nice people.

Quoting Anonymous:

He didn't see the other people doing it because they were gone and he caught you. So you had to pay the piper. Follow the rules. You're not going to get much sympathy on here.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:56 PM

So that justifies you doing it too, because everyone else is doing it?  You're just pissed you got caught and other people didn't.  The rule was no  using plastic lures, you may think it's stupid but it's the park rules. I'm sure you can look it up online for your state and what types of fishing are allowed at each one.

Quoting Anonymous:

I Understand that, but do you not agree something as stupid as that should not be reason to be given a ticket?? Dang. Plus everyone else was doing it, and They obviously knew better because they left when he showed up. Should've watched for the damn signs I know. But a lure? 160? Come on.

Quoting KyliesMom5: He was doing his job! You should have known the rules before going.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)