Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

please i need support not bashing i feel terrible already *update

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
Yesterday I was laying on the couch sick when I heard our 10 week old puppy yelp loudly. I got up to see what was wrong. The puppy was still yelping and my 4 year old was cowering. Apparently she was holding the puppy like she wasn't supposed to do and he bit her so she dropped him. She was standing right next to 2 steps and he fell all of the way down them.
I called the vet who scheduled us for today. He's not using his hip on one side. The vet says it could be dislocated or broken. I have to take him back in the morning for xrays. If he ends up needing surgery it's going to be $1200! Thankfully they take payments but the vet is asking how much we want to put into this and I don't know what to say. I can't really afford it who can? But when we adopted this dog we adopted him forever not just to cast off at the first sign of trouble.
There's really no point to this except to see if anybody has any experience with this. Yes I should have noticed and stopped her. I feel bad enough about that already so please don't bash and make me feel worse.

*update
The vet just called. He has a broken leg but his hip is fine! It should heal quickly in a splint. What a relief!
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
s_lauderdale_06
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Accidents happen, you can not watch your 4 year old 24/7. Hopefully you can do the monthly payments for whatever they do. Depending on how bad it is, they can probably just pop the bone back into place. Good luck!

Bieg9093
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:27 AM
3 moms liked this

You take the payment plan and bite the bullet.  Adopting a dog comes with medical bills.  Sometimes they get hurt or ill even when it's nobody's fault.  I'ts your dog so you pay for it.

If you want to make this a learning experience for your child, sit her down with the bill when you get it and explain that paying for this means there's no money to pay for something else.  Then go over the difference between "needs" and "wants" and see if she can think of some "wants" to give up.  The math doesn't have to work out...if she sacrifices her favorite breakfast cereal and reuses last year's Halloween costume, it won't equal $1200.  But it'll be a great learning experience.

raschwittay
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm really applauding your values. Just people would have tossed the dog away. Your really teaching your children never to give up and always keep your word. So much good going in here I can hardly contain myself. It's rare on here.
JalynSpoon
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM

You adopted the dog so you pay the bills.

PogoPalOj
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Having my child hurt my dog, no.  But having to pay out big bucks to take care of a dog, yes.  I'm sorry this happened, you are just going to have to teach your young one how to treat animals or she is going to get seriously hurt.  I am not going to bash you.  Mistakes happen.  Make up for it by teaching your young one and the puppy at the same time.hugs

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM
That's the other thing we have lots of animals and she knows to be gentle. I've never had a problem with her hurting one. I think it was just an impulsive reaction. She feels terrible.

Quoting PogoPalOj:

Having my child hurt my dog, no.  But having to pay out big bucks to take care of a dog, yes.  I'm sorry this happened, you are just going to have to teach your young one how to treat animals or she is going to get seriously hurt.  I am not going to bash you.  Mistakes happen.  Make up for it by teaching your young one and the puppy at the same time.hugs

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Isn't that what I said?

Quoting JalynSpoon:

You adopted the dog so you pay the bills.

tabz82
by New Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a similar situation happen last year. My husband tossed our puppy onto the couch (harmless) but her paw slipped through the cushion and under the frame and snapped. Just a freak accident. $3000 (and 2 surgies so they could put in metal and take it out) later we thought it was over. A year later to the day the last of the pins caused a reaction and we had to have them taken out for another $1000. My husband said he doesn't care after this point because its been too financially hard on our family and always happens at the worst possible time.long story short....I completely understand. I say try to just suck it up this time and all joking aside get puppy insurance. Once a dog breaks they do require a certain level of repeat care and you don't want to be in the position I am in now with repeat bills and surgeries
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Crazy thing is I almost got puppy insurance a couple of days ago but then I got sick. I'm praying it's not a major thing. Wouldn't that be considered a preexisting injury and therefore not covered?

Quoting tabz82: I had a similar situation happen last year. My husband tossed our puppy onto the couch (harmless) but her paw slipped through the cushion and under the frame and snapped. Just a freak accident. $3000 (and 2 surgies so they could put in metal and take it out) later we thought it was over. A year later to the day the last of the pins caused a reaction and we had to have them taken out for another $1000. My husband said he doesn't care after this point because its been too financially hard on our family and always happens at the worst possible time.long story short....I completely understand. I say try to just suck it up this time and all joking aside get puppy insurance. Once a dog breaks they do require a certain level of repeat care and you don't want to be in the position I am in now with repeat bills and surgeries
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Updated :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN