Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

antisocial parents and their antisocial kids

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM
  • 229 Replies
3 moms liked this

So last night we're sitting in a restaurant waiting for our table, and a family comes in with couple kids around my daughter's age (three to five). We're all in for a long wait, and my daughter is looking for something to do. So, as she usually does in this kind of situation, she approaches the two kids and introduces herself. Little boy, hanging onto Mommy's hand, and little girl, leaning against Grandma, just stare blankly at her. No response. Mommy glances equally blankly down at my daughter (who is patiently waiting for some kind of acknowledgment), and then her zombie-like children, and starts up a conversation with Grandma. No response.

This kind of thing has happened more often than I can count. Do you people not understand that, as parents, you have the responsibility to show your children how to behave with other human beings? When someone walks up to you and says "Hi, I'm _____, what's your name?" is it appropriate in your mind to stare blankly? Can you not suggest to your child "Now you say hi," or SOMETHING?? Can you not spare so much as a smile and a half second of eye contact for the beautiful little person who's just come up to greet you? Do you understand that your children are learning from your behavior every minute you're together? Do you even care??

by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Karmea
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Nothing?

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:33 PM
16 moms liked this
Not everyone wants to talk with random strangers in returants. People have their own ideals on personal space, often this does go into public places.
AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL. This seems a bit dramatic. Maybe they just didn't want to talk to your kid.
Karmea
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:37 PM
4 moms liked this

Okay, so one vote for teaching kids to be rude. Got it.

Quoting 1TallMamaCA: Not everyone wants to talk with random strangers in returants. People have their own ideals on personal space, often this does go into public places.

Karmea
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:39 PM

That actually helps, because I'm trying to figure out how people think. Sure, I've been approached by people I didn't want to talk to before, but it didn't occur to me that it's appropriate to just pretend they're not there. You ladies can help me learn your social skills so I can arm my kid with them.

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey: LOL. This seems a bit dramatic. Maybe they just didn't want to talk to your kid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM
12 moms liked this
Maybe the adults thought that if they responded to your child she might never go away. Best to keep your daughter at your side in public. Nobody wants to get stuck with somebody else's kid!
Karmea
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Can always count on Ms. Anonymous for snark! Thanks.

Quoting Anonymous: Maybe the adults thought that if they responded to your child she might never go away. Best to keep your daughter at your side in public. Nobody wants to get stuck with somebody else's kid!

mich2.0
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:42 PM

I would make my children say ''hello'' but not offer up their name or anything else.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM
2 moms liked this
It's not antisocial to know when to not bother other people in public. Do I think they were rude? Yes. Would my family acted that way? Nope. I just think you're making a big deal over nothing.

Quoting Karmea:

That actually helps, because I'm trying to figure out how people think. Sure, I've been approached by people I didn't want to talk to before, but it didn't occur to me that it's appropriate to just pretend they're not there. You ladies can help me learn your social skills so I can arm my kid with them.

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey: LOL. This seems a bit dramatic. Maybe they just didn't want to talk to your kid.

1TallMamaCA
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM
7 moms liked this
Rude? That's persepception, some may say that you expecting random strangers to play with your daughter in a resturant to keep her entirtained as rude.

I don't teach my children to expect everyone to be their friend, nor entertain them. Because that's not the real world, since everyone has their own personal space they feel comfortable with. The hardest is my Autistic son with adhd who doesn't understand why not everyone in the world cares about his new shoes, or his current fixation. I am teaching him personal space.

Quoting Karmea:

Okay, so one vote for teaching kids to be rude. Got it.

Quoting 1TallMamaCA: Not everyone wants to talk with random strangers in returants. People have their own ideals on personal space, often this does go into public places.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN