• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH hospitalized again still no answers :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

I just need to get this off my chest and maybe then I can get some sleep.

Once again my hubby has been hospitalized this has been an ongoing thing since we found out I was pregnant last year. No doctors have helped him they just give him different doses of meds or add meds to what he is already taking. Not to mention the list of possible medical conditions it could be causing his problems is continuing to grow yet ever time he gets treated for them he still ends up back in the er.

He has already been fired from one job because of all these issues, and of course today he was at work when it happened today. We can't afford him to loose this job, I haven't been able to get a job because we can't afford child care and I can't leave the kids home alone with him, I never know when he'll be heading back to the er and the boys aren't old enough to call 911 for him.

If anyone reads this and thinks they may have any ideas I can toss around I will greatly appreciate the help

What is happening is he is having stroke like symptoms Right sided weakness/paralysis, face droop, slurred speech or not able to talk at all, headaches before or after most of the attacks. The list of conditions the doctors have found or come up with are:

Migraines(he's on topamax 400mg/day) which we have been told its a higher dosage then they give seizure patients.

He has 4 different clotting disorders which are fvl, mthfr 1298 & 667, and pai-1 (he's been getting monitored for coumadin for these) 

and TIA's are all they can come up with simply because they have no other answers. They can't explain why all his tests come back normal. He's had CT scans, MRI's, both with and without contrast. EKG's, ECHO's EEG's, Carotid u/s plus a few other tests that just aren't coming to me right now.

He also deals with anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, all of which he takes meds for and they said during one of these visits his cholesterol was slightly high so he's on meds for that too.

A few doctors even told him its all in his head I can't remember the name of it but I remember looking it up and taking to his gp about it and we all agreed that wasn't what was happening.

His 1st trip to the er in June '13 was for chest pain, then July, October, December(4 er trips) of '13, since this year he's been in February(2 er trips), March, June(on the day of our 10 year anniversary), and now August. He has been admitted only 4 times.

I am so afraid I am going to lose him. I don't know what to do, I don't know what to think, and I basically am just feeling lost and confused to why all this is happening to him.

I'm sorry this is so long and please excuse grammar and spelling problems as it is late and its been a very long day for me.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:22 AM
Sounds like bells palsy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:28 AM

Thanks for the reply I just looked that up and the symptoms are just in the face, the whole right side of his body is weak or paralyzed depending on how severe his attack is.

Quoting Anonymous: Sounds like bells palsy.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Has he been evaluated for seizures?  That is another disorder that can mimic strokes.  In fact, seizures and migraines are related.  Perhaps experimenting with some medication for seizures might be helpful.   Has he been evaluated by a neurologist?  Perhaps traveling to Hopkins might be warranted.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK98193/

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:36 AM

Yes, the first neurologist he seen back when the attacks started checked for seizures and the test was normal. He has been seen by multiple neurologists, his current one is up at the Cleveland Clinic that's where our local hospital transported him yesterday, One of the tests they mentioned doing was another EEG to check for seizures.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Has he been evaluated for seizures?  That is another disorder that can mimic strokes.  In fact, seizures and migraines are related.  Perhaps experimenting with some medication for seizures might be helpful.   Has he been evaluated by a neurologist?  Perhaps traveling to Hopkins might be warranted.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK98193/

Robin-Christine
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Seizures DO NOT always show on the scans. I have epilepsey and ALL my scans have always come back normal. My neurologist knows I am not lying or faking,he has seen me in a seizure more than once. Ask for a 24 or 48 hour EEG. One time my brain was seizing however my body was not showing this,I was just out of it and could not be woken up.God be with you

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:05 AM

So far the the only doctor who hasn't thought he is faking all this has been his gp and the few er doctors who have had him admitted. I'm hoping it goes differently this time, because he is in a great hospital. Thank you for the advice I will be sure to bring it up to him so he can talk with the doctors there.

Quoting Robin-Christine:

Seizures DO NOT always show on the scans. I have epilepsey and ALL my scans have always come back normal. My neurologist knows I am not lying or faking,he has seen me in a seizure more than once. Ask for a 24 or 48 hour EEG. One time my brain was seizing however my body was not showing this,I was just out of it and could not be woken up.God be with you

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I should probably add dh is only 32.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Could it be MS?
rockinmomto2
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Is he overweight? I'm not asking to be an asshole, but sometimes underlying conditions can't be figured out because of a patients weight or the doctors assume he's lying because he's heavier.

akunkle19
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:28 AM

This. Mine never did either. We still no idea what causes mine.

Quoting Robin-Christine:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)