• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding:(

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM
  • 5 Replies
Ok so my son is about a month old and I am having the hardest time breastfeeding. Not him me he latches well but I've been so stressed and for the first time have panic attacks and anxiety so it makes it so I hardly produce milk at times. He would eat every hour then cry and up all night so finally we decided to supplement formula. So he takes a bottle now half formula half breast milk. I was prescribed Xanax for anxiety and am supposed to start an antidepressant for a while to help. But it's not safe to do Xanax and breastfeeding. (Unless I pump and dump) so I don't know if I should wean him all the way or just continue to pump so he can still get the benefits from breast milk. I feel so bad because I never wanted to give him formula until way later but he was starving. Please help.
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM
It is safe to take Xanax Come over to the Breastfeeding Moms group for better information. Most medical professionals cover themselves because they don't know where to find correct information on breastfeeding and medications. Look up the Infant Risk Hotline. Also go to Kellymom.com. You can indeed nurse your baby. Diaper count is the reliable indicator of what he's getting. 6-8 per 24 hours, with at least two quarter sized poops. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers.
MusherMaggie
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM
It is normal for him to eat every hour right now. The crying could actually be from overactive letdown/oversupply. Formula will not help this and may actually irritate his stomach. Try reclined nursing: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.
jamamama00
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM
If you want to breastfeed consult the lactivist groups. If you come to the conclusion that it's causing you more pain than pleasure then quit. Or keep doing half and half. Many women like myself despise breastfeeding and quite simply don't have the time or patience for it. That's okay.
MusherMaggie
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM
Babies cry. It's how they communicate. Also, if the bottles were bigger than two ounces, he probably had a tummy ache. If bottles are necessary, and I don't really think they are in your case, the slowest flow newborn nipple should always be used. Baby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. Look for two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Read posts on Kellymom.com and the Breastfeeding Moms group. In a week you'll know more than most medical professionals about breastfeeding. You CAN do this!
Sister_Someone
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I agree.

Quoting jamamama00: If you want to breastfeed consult the lactivist groups. If you come to the conclusion that it's causing you more pain than pleasure then quit. Or keep doing half and half. Many women like myself despise breastfeeding and quite simply don't have the time or patience for it. That's okay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)