Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

My house got broke into yesterday and I blame my roommate

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM
  • 29 Replies
Ugh I need to vent. Our house got broke into yesterday while I was at work and dh was at a concert. Luckily nothing is missing. Seems like they just came into see what we have and possibly come back. So yea now I'm scared. Well I blame my roommate. Here lately she has been careless about leaving our garage door open and she just goes to bed. It's happened a few times. I feel like that has made us a target. The person that came into our house possibly could have been seeing the garage door open a few times. I don't know what to do. I'm ready to kick her out but at the same time we can't afford that right now. I now don't feel secure in my house and it sucks. Just venting.
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BaronSamedi
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:50 PM

How doyou know it was broke into?

tlynn28
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Well when she came home the dogs were in the garage. We have a door in the garage that leads to the backyard and it was wide open. The way that door opens the dogs would have not been able to open it even if they were jumping against it. Also the front door was wide open. I'm also thinking the person was in our house when she came home. They heard the garage door open so they ran out the front door.

Quoting BaronSamedi:

How doyou know it was broke into?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 14, 2014 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

It's very weird that they'd break in and not take anything unless someone or something scared them off.  Talk to your roommate about the safety issues and if she won't comply then I'd tell her she had to go.  

tlynn28
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Yea we are thinking she pulled up and and the person was in the house when she did. We stressed to her about it making sure she shuts the garage door and stuff . I just hope this person doesn't try to come back after seeing what we have.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's very weird that they'd break in and not take anything unless someone or something scared them off.  Talk to your roommate about the safety issues and if she won't comply then I'd tell her she had to go.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM

It's very likely that they will so be extra careful from now on.  Most people watch houses before they break in unless they're new at it or a kid or something.  

Quoting tlynn28: Yea we are thinking she pulled up and and the person was in the house when she did. We stressed to her about it making sure she shuts the garage door and stuff . I just hope this person doesn't try to come back after seeing what we have.
Quoting Anonymous:

KikiKia
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:53 AM

What kind of dogs do you have?  Big ones?  That alone usually keeps perps away.

tlynn28
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM
We have a small shitzu and a Rottweiler mix but he is still a puppy. Hes big but not scary. I'm still surprised that they went in my yard with the dogs because we have a big wooden privacy fence and you can't see what kind of dogs we have. So who ever it was either has been watching for a while and seen are dogs or just brave and didn't give a crap.

Quoting KikiKia:

KikiKia
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Keep your lights on outside.  Secure your fence and make sure your roommate keeps that garage door closed.  If possible check behind her.  

Quoting tlynn28: We have a small shitzu and a Rottweiler mix but he is still a puppy. Hes big but not scary. I'm still surprised that they went in my yard with the dogs because we have a big wooden privacy fence and you can't see what kind of dogs we have. So who ever it was either has been watching for a while and seen are dogs or just brave and didn't give a crap.
Quoting KikiKia:

tlynn28
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:19 AM
Oh we have been. I have been making sure to lock everything every night and before we leave. The thing I'm worried about is my dh works 3rd shift 4 nights a week. I have an 8 year old ds and a baby on the way in a few weeks. I'm just worried they will try to break in when dh is not here.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's very likely that they will so be extra careful from now on.  Most people watch houses before they break in unless they're new at it or a kid or something.  

Quoting tlynn28: Yea we are thinking she pulled up and and the person was in the house when she did. We stressed to her about it making sure she shuts the garage door and stuff . I just hope this person doesn't try to come back after seeing what we have.

Quoting Anonymous:

tlynn28
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Yea I have been going behind her to make sure everything is locked. I already told her that if I find the garage door open all night again she will have to park out front and use the front door. I can't have her risking our lives because she is forgetful.

Quoting KikiKia:

Keep your lights on outside.  Secure your fence and make sure your roommate keeps that garage door closed.  If possible check behind her.  

Quoting tlynn28: We have a small shitzu and a Rottweiler mix but he is still a puppy. Hes big but not scary. I'm still surprised that they went in my yard with the dogs because we have a big wooden privacy fence and you can't see what kind of dogs we have. So who ever it was either has been watching for a while and seen are dogs or just brave and didn't give a crap.

Quoting KikiKia:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)