Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my brother to pay 450?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies
Rent is 1025
Power, cable and internet -300

Right now my brother is paying 350. But he stays up until 5 using the power. Winter is coming and heat isn't cheap. I told him that we are going to need 100 extra a month. Now he's throwing a fit over 100.

What should I do?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy1234242
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM

he either pays or looks for another place to live. responsibilty is the best kind of love you can teach a person,

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:04 PM
2 moms liked this

password protect the internet and cable and don't let him have the passwords.  He won't be staying up until 5 with no cable or internet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM
Do you think it's unfair?

Quoting mommy1234242:

he either pays or looks for another place to live. responsibilty is the best kind of love you can teach a person,

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:09 PM
I might just do that

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

password protect the internet and cable and don't let him have the passwords.  He won't be staying up until 5 with no cable or internet.

BrutalTruth
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM
Yup. And if he doesn't like it he can gtfo, I'm assuming this is your adult brother so...

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:25 PM
IF you agreed to 350 then thats what you need to stick to. At the least you need to give him at least 30 days notice before you rase the amount. If there is no lease agrement then its a month to month lease and there are rules you must follow. Just because he is your brother it doesnt give you the right to ignore the tennat landlord laws in your state. check and see what the laws are where you live. and I am sure that his staying uo to 5 is NOT rasing the electric bill that high.
mommy1234242
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Nope not if all of you guys are paying equally

Quoting Anonymous: Do you think it's unfair?
Quoting mommy1234242:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Oh I did. I told him next month he can pay 50 extra and the month after that 100. It's not like I said he has to pay it all. He's not on my lease. In Oregon you also pay for water and it isn't cheap. He takes long showers.

Quoting Anonymous: IF you agreed to 350 then thats what you need to stick to. At the least you need to give him at least 30 days notice before you rase the amount. If there is no lease agrement then its a month to month lease and there are rules you must follow. Just because he is your brother it doesnt give you the right to ignore the tennat landlord laws in your state. check and see what the laws are where you live. and I am sure that his staying uo to 5 is NOT rasing the electric bill that high.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Yeah. He's 18 and has a job.

Quoting BrutalTruth: Yup. And if he doesn't like it he can gtfo, I'm assuming this is your adult brother so...

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

lucky2Beeme
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Will you be in a better situation without his $300 and him gone ? If so give him 30days notice to move.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)