Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Real Working Moms

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 124 Replies
1 mom liked this

Apparently since  I work in an office, I don't actually work. The fact that I have internet access, am able to make and take personal calls, and have my children visit me in my office is "unfair" to other working moms. I was told that I get a paycheck for sitting on my butt, talking on the phone, and going on out of town trips where I get to dress up. I apparently am unaware of the struggle that a REAL working mom goes through.  I have no right to call myself a working mom.

I wanted to punch the woman who said this to me. I was raised with a very strong work ethic and have been working since my early teens. I ONLY took 3 weeks off with the birth of both my DD's and worked 2 jobs for a few years straight. I have worked retail, banking, outside sales,  loading docks, factory lines, and customer service. 2 years ago I was fortunate enough to get hired in with a company who is very family oriented and has been incredibly flexible.  But I still have to juggle my family. I still miss school programs and have to rely on my mom and husband to get the kids to their doctor appointments.

So how can this mom say I'm not a REAL working mom? And what does that even mean?

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlwaysKISA
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM
3 moms liked this
That's absolutely ridiculous!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM
10 moms liked this

Whoever told you that sounds really petty and unhappy.

Mrs.KAZ
by Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 4:29 PM
8 moms liked this
Don't listen to this person. You were blessed with a job you like and that is family friendly, who wouldn't like that and be proud of it.
You work hard mama and earn your pay, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Thelmama
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM
6 moms liked this

Ignore her. She is just jealous.

nayeli.c
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I just got hired at a place that tries to be family oriented and since we are TTC (for two years) that has been one of my favorite things about the new job!

Clearly whoever said that is jealous of your position.

AZHOTMOM
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My job sounds similar to yours. We ARE real working moms. Tell her to piss off! Prob just jealous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:59 PM
7 moms liked this

Don't let this get you down.  Here, this might help.

I'm a work at home mom.  I don't do product parties or sell tupperware.  I have a REAL job as a software engineer.  I work for a real company and I make a real paycheck. 

I'm still in my pajamas at 2pm and I haven't moved from the couch in hours (still coding but on a comfy couch).  Ok, so I brushed my hair and teeth and put on dedorant but other than that, it looks like I just rolled out of bed.  

So you tell these women that at least you get dressed and out of the house not like some people you know!  :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
That's just rediculous .... anf sounds like jealousy /ignorance .......even if you didnt work being s mother is full time job anyway ......
AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like she's jealous.

Bahamamama536
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

You're blessed! She's an idiot and a jealous one at that! Embrace this job, it seems like a good one! Work hard, and play even harder with your kiddies and husband....forget out the people that don't celebrate you!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN